1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Checks and Balances

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by PaulG, Jul 11, 2014.

1. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Hi Jack

A question I have always harboured but not dared to ask but please don't take offence and forgive my audicity (after couple of glasses of malbec)

I realize you are a prodigious reader, researcher and deep thinker utilizing your experiences as a neurosurgeon and your interest in all the sciences you have woven a unique tapestry. But how do you combat against the notion that can be expressed in the phrase 'To someone with a hammer everything looks like a nail', or in more scientific/psycholgical terms confirmational bias. I am not accusing you of this by the way but it may be something you have thought about and I am interested in your thoughts on this. What Checks and balances, for example do you employ to combat this? for any given topic do you gather both sides and then work out who is most credible based upon your world view and your intuitive and scientific understanding of humans, life and mother nature.

I think others would be interested as you straddle the Epi-Renaissance and scientific realms and often venture into the murkier 'pseudo-scientific' realms for want of a better term.

Paleo dogma for example could be considered one big confirmmational bias relay (Boyd to Cordain to Wolf) that continues to perpetuate due to the great confirmational God we know as Google.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Alex97232 and Martin like this.
  2. PaulG

PaulG New Member

kind of impressed myself by spelling it right first time...doh no I didn't, thank heavens for the edit link?. who will ever know..

Ties nicely with recent discussions about the future influencing the past...my future self editing a previous post (revisionist history) but only a select few would perceive this trick.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Great question Paul..........I am going to answer it cutely: I have repeatedly said what good is your published literature when your targets are wrong? What is my target Paul that is tied to every blog I write? E=mc2. It is a fundamental universal law. Why do I not worry about the world as a nail? Because E=mc2 scales to every known part of the universe. Therefore if I am wrong I have a lot of good company. Now.......the ancestral health guys.........they are in deep shit. Read my epic answer to Barry on OSF 7. You might begin to see why I am a pretty confident guy in what I espouse. Not because I think I am smart.......because I thought about the linkage of thermodynamics to mass equivalence and life........before I wrote a damn word publicly. When you use nature's fundamental laws as your straight edge you have a lot more support..........the problem is it puts your ideas on the fringe of human consciousness because no one is aware of the path you are creating because your insight and intuition is way out there due to the almighty electron and photon.

This is one of the best questions you have asked and you generally ask good ones.

Josh (Paleo Osteo) and caroline like this.
  4. PaulG

PaulG New Member

One of my earliest influences was the Outsider by Colin Wilson and I have been a Wilson fan for many years. In that book, the visionary is seen by society as being insane because they are so outside the norm and society in general favors the comfortable middle ground. Last night I asked my DW whether she thought I was sane and indeed it is something I occasionally ask myself but as I get older and try and free myself from the narrow confines of society I am learning to trust my instincts and intuition and glimpse a whole different new world not limited by the habitual patterns of the past but the more dynamic patterns of living in the present and bringing to bear the full weight of our own cumulative experience on this planet.

It makes me incredibly sad and frustrated how little we learn from the past and how much wisdom, beauty and truth gets thrown aside in both religion and science. Are we moving ever closer to life or to death? But JK you give me hope and I thank you for that.

caroline, Alex97232 and Lahelada like this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Nourishing death = autophagy and apoptosis working against circadian signaling.

caroline, Alex97232 and Josh like this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

PaulG when you embrace nature in the modern world you become a stunning contradiction. What makes us agreeable leaves us motionless, but our contradictions move us to act. Ironically we are productive only at the cost of being ripe in contradictions.

7. dan.orloski22

dan.orloski22 Silver

This was an outstanding question. In this community we are all students of the universal laws. Although our modern world contradicts nature's wisdom, this blog has reconnected me with the true healing power of following that wisdom in every aspect of my life. While some of our views on health may change, E=mc2 remains constant

Knowing the constant is called 'enlightenment'- The Tao Te Ching

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you find help here I believe you are student of optimism? A optimistic person is a leader. Leaders are dealers in hope. Optimists help people see things as they are, and what they could be. Real optimism is aware of problems but recognizes the solutions and moves away from old beliefs quickly. Their thoughts and actions create a vacuum behind them, to draw people to them. You don’t always succeed, but every time you fail, you get better, if that failure becomes 'your rudder' to move you from where you are now, to where you must go. If your sky falls realize their is a vastness of sky beyond called space. You can us that larger canvas to paint a new life for yourself to show to many other optimists.

sjoshua, caroline and dan.orloski22 like this.
  9. dan.orloski22

dan.orloski22 Silver

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

This is so awesome Jack ..... my life plan in a paragraph -past, present and future ....as always - thanks!

11. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

The insane will never know they are insane... But to define 'insane', I'd challenge you to first define 'sane' and/or what would typically be called 'normal'. ;)

Our society is designed around an attitude of selfish instead of selfless... the rest has been a slippery slope. I believe religions have mostly all lost their intended ways in the same manners. It is beyond me to define whether or not god/God exists in someone's reality, but I'd bet my life that a fraction of 1% of people alive today that consider themselves 'religious' and follow a widely-accepted 'faith', regardless of the 'faith' choice, are actually following the doctrine how it was intended to be followed by those that originally designed it.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Religion is really poetry in disguise. Most people accept it as prose; a list of historical events of things that never really happened. When you read it as symbolic metaphor, that is different perspective meant to teach by parable..........people use religion to control others.........

caroline and sjoshua like this.
  13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The most useful piece of learning for the uses of life is to unlearn what is untrue..........this includes, science, medicine, and religion.

caroline, sjoshua and Josh like this.
  14. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

[​IMG]

Keep a positive mindset and demeanor; Meditate; Find the positives in all everyday activities...

With new eyes, I could re-write this 1,000 ways, but reading between the lines is where the message is:
    Focus your energy on good, be present, live a healthy life for as long as you want.

caroline and SeaHorse like this.
  15. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Excellent point! People today are extremely sloppy about definitions and the meanings of concepts. Without epistemological clarity, you become a sitting duck for the manipulators and propagandists of the day.

By equating "sanity" with the current social norms, those in power can much more easily manipulate the populace.

Speaking for myself, I am quite certain that I am both perfectly sane and quite "abnormal." I'm good with that.

caroline likes this.