1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cheapest source of DHA

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Chris Day, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Chris Day

Chris Day New Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for getting DHA unto the diet on a budget.

Currently, I can't afford regular purchases of wild caught seafood products.

Is there anything wrong with taking supplements until I can get my economic situation to the point where I can have wild caught seafood in the fridge at all times?

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/ultra3.html

Was considering purchasing this.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

shiran likes this.
  2. digital

digital Gold

How about Oysters? Generally pretty cheap then supplements:

Just quick Google searching:
    --- Three ounces of Pacific oysters provide more than 1 g of omega-3 fatty acids. (Source: Linus Pauling Institute)
    --- According to federal Food and Drug Administration requirements, here's how the count should break down for a 10-ounce jar, the size most commonly sold in markets:
    Large, 4 oysters or less.
    Medium, 5-8 oysters.
    Small, 9-11 oysters.
    Extra small, 13-15.

--- http://www.seafoodhealthfacts.org/s...ega-3-epadha-levels-common-fish-and-shellfish

3. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

I think canned sardines will be one of the cheapest ways.

LieselK, Dean6789 and Chris Day like this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Even cheaper.
    You may not need any
    or
    you may have too much already.

Check your blood levels of all Omega3 and Omega6.
    See if you are short on DHA or any other item in those two categories.

Just make sure that the testing is done by honest laboratory that is not owned by fish oil industry.
    Money talks.
    Make sure that each and every of items tested have clearly stated their laboratory lower and upper range.

You do not want laboratory to summarize and tell you what to do,
    reading test results you should be able to make your own decision.

Look for my posts, somewhere on this thread, and find out what testing will work for you.
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/page-6

/.
    ////

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Canned sardines in oil

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

upload_2017-10-1_11-2-59.png

Yes, Chicago have the best know how.
    Also the Puerto Rico truckers would newer figure out that they have urgent job to do. Nobody was able to tell that them. They no nothing.
    So large amounts of supplies provided to them already in containers have to rot while on Puerto Rico grounds.

reminds me of New Orleans buses right after Katrina buses fiasco.
    Image618a.jpg

[​IMG]
    upload_2017-10-1_11-1-26.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Dean6789 likes this.
  7. Bic

Bic New Member

I ran into two friends in the last couple of months and the conversation turned into Jackkruse.com, the sun, dha, magnetism... Each left the room and came back with their EPA/DHA supplements and asked me, "What about these?" I popped the top of the battles and shoved their noses into it and asked "What do you think?" Both took the bottles of fish oil and immediately threw them in the trash. The supplements were so rancid I do not know how they choked the capsules down. Lesson learned, get your DHA from foods.

8. Chris Day

Chris Day New Member

9. King Oscar canned sardines are pretty good.

WillTheHammer, Dean6789 and Chris Day like this.
  10. Jake Tassell

Jake Tassell New Member

Dunno what the DHA count is like on mackerel and kippered herrings, but they're cheap and yangingly delicious.

WillTheHammer likes this.
  11. kris90

kris90 New Member

I usually go with canned sardines and canned smoked oysters. I'll eat that as my lunch maybe 3-5x a week. My sardines are in spring water, and my oysters unfortunately are in sunflower oil, but I just drain them really well, and use paper towel to try to get the oil off.

It cost me about $1.50 per can, so I load up on my weekly grocery trip. My family usually has fresh, wild-caught atlantic salmon 1-2x per week as well. Every now and then I'll treat myself to fresh, raw oysters, and I'll often fry up some frozen shrimp and mussels to throw in a salad or over the salmon. But I use the canned sardines/oysters as my staple because they are so affordable and easy to have for lunch at work.

LieselK, Antonis and seanb4 like this.
  12. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

WillTheHammer and Jake Tassell like this.
  13. Jake Tassell

Jake Tassell New Member

Surya Namaskar likes this.
  14. shiran

shiran Curious

Hi kris can you share the name of the company ? Thanks

WillTheHammer likes this.
  15. kris90

kris90 New Member

The oysters are Clover Leaf I believe, and the sardines are Brunswick. These are local, Canadian sources though.

WillTheHammer and shiran like this.
  16. Penny

Penny New Member

Trader Joes has the most divine smoked sardines in theoretically olive oil and smoked oysters - the canned mackeral is also yummy - make a salad out of it with sour cream, horseradish, pickles, pickled jalapenos - yum:) The quickest lunch in town - also, one can of oysters at dinner will *really* help sleep...

Chris Day likes this.
  17. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Hi Kris,

I don't want to make this thread into a recipe one, buuuut lol how to you eat your sardines and oysters, straight out of can. Do you add a sauce of some kind.

Thank you

18. kris90

kris90 New Member

Honestly, I usually just eat it right out of the can. Maybe with a bit of sea salt.

Sometimes I'll mix a bit of mayo in and throw some nuts on top.

Christine_L, drezy and shiran like this.
  19. Billybats

Billybats New Member

lol... one day I will accomplish the straight up no fuss way.. Thank you Kris.

20. Dean6789

Dean6789 New Member

Oops, I've been getting them in water... wild, no salt added.

What kind of oil is best, that is available in canned sardines?