1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cheap full body red light

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by John Saf, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Patrick K

Patrick K New Member

I have this device....i really like that I can wrap it around or place it anywhere (head...red light hat, gut , liver....etc.)

I even run (treadmill) with it on...:

https://www.smarterlights.com/se-led-belt-p/lto-009.htm

Its made in korea and seems high quality do far (very powerful when on) its red and nir combo

2. Max.E

Max.E New Member

Hi John.

There is no such thing as a cheap light therapy device. The cheaper the device the less effective it will be. Let me explain.

The 2 most important factors to look at when purchasing a device or creating your own is

1. Wavelength (nm)
    2. Irradiance (mW/cm2 or J/cm2)

1. The wavelengths we should all be familiar with e.i. 660/670nm for the red range and 830/850 for the near infrared range.

2. The next most important factor is the irradiance, this is measured in Joules/cm2 or milliWatts/cm2. What this tells us is the power output per square centimeter. This is important because a low power output, like all cheap devices have, will require far longer exposure time for the same therapeutic effects.

Joovv do a great job explaining this on the link below and have a formula converging mW/cm2 to Joules
    https://joovv.com/blogs/joovv-blog/joovv-versus-other-led-light-therapy-devices

I have contacted various manufacturers on Alibaba who provide these therapy devices and asked them to provide test results for both wavelengths and irradiance. Let's just say the irradiance results were pitiful and came in at around 1/15 less effective than the joovv.

I have tried to find LED manufacturers who provide high irradiance LEDs and the average price per 1 LED has been about $12. This proves to me that all cheap devices produce a subpar output.

Long story short. What you pay for is what you get

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    John Saf, Sheddie and Fairy like this.
  3. Sheddie

Sheddie Silver

Another option. http://www.lumenphoton.com/
    "Cheap" is relative if values like quality, durability, trouble-free... are important and an investment for long-term use.

I've had the largest pads since before 2011, and still going strong. The lights are wired in the pad which is flexible and can comfortably be placed under the body, something the hard box designs don't seem to permit.

A larger, more "full body" mat would be wonderful!

4. Ski coach

Ski coach Gold

Any of you test these devices for emf or flicker?

5. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Marko Pollo likes this.
  6. CatherineHFD

CatherineHFD New Member

That is definitely an appealing price tag, even compared to some of the small hand-helds, and obviously miles better than the Joovv that is very expensive and also folds. I've come back to this forum after a bit of an absence with a particular question in mind. My mother bought an SL50 from www.allergyantitodes.com years ago and we've managed to lose it. A therapist, Sandi Radomski, had it custom built to 635 nm because:
    • 635 nm (wavelength is within the 600 to 700 nm range for stimulating healing in a living cell, same as the Erchonia Chiropractic Laser)
    I'm liking the idea of the Joovv, but am checking next what nm its range is ..

The question I had was .. when is the best time of the day to use it to not disrupt circadian rhythm? My understanding at present is that it is best after the sun goes down, rather than what some people do, particularly if they work from home, and that is, sit there in their home offices in the morning, butt naked for their session. I believe Dr Kruse told Luke Storey in an interview to do infrared at night rather than during the day .. does anyone have an accurate answer on this? thanks