1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Causes of hair loss!

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by motivatedhealthseeker, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Hi guys
    I am having a lot of hair loss...just coming out of the roots. :(
    I am on 75 mcg of t3, I have low cortisol so I take 2 adrenal cortex in am and one in afternoon. My iron is optimal and so is thyroid for now. Not sure what else would cause this hair loss. Maybe still low cortisol? I sometimes have a very fast and pounding heart rate at night when I have a dream win which I am in a fight or flight situation in the dream itself . The fast heart rate goes back to normal as soon as I wake up. Adrenaline rushes I guess due to low cortisol? I would like to get a 2nd opinion before I start HC again as I have been on it in the past but had weaned off using the circadian method. This is my saliva cortisol test from last year. I know it can change quickly but just posting it to give a reference point.
    This was the cortisol test from last year..just a reference.
    Cortisol (saliva) 5.3 ng/mL 3.7-9.5 (morning)
    Cortisol (saliva) 1.5 ng/mL 1.2-3.0 (noon)
    Cortisol (saliva) 1.6 ng/mL 0.6-1.9 (evening)
    Cortisol (saliva) 0.3 L ng/mL 0.4-1.0 (night)
    Therapies
    20mg topical Progesterone (OTC) (8 Hours Last used)
    Its low 3 out of the 4 times I undertand
    Also here are the results of hormones as tested last year on day 19 as well

SHBG 69 (24.6-122)
    progesterone 8 ( (luteal 1.7-27)
    17-oh progesterone 100 (35-290 luteal)
    pregnenolone 106 ( it just says adults <151 as the ref range??)
    estrogen total 170 (11 to 120 days ref range is 122-437)
    estradiol 107.8 luteal (43.8-211)
    free testosterone .2 (0-2.2)
    total testosterone 33 (8-48)
    LH 7.1 (1-11.4)
    FSH 5.3 (1.7-7.7)
    prolactin 22.1 (4.8 to 23.3) usually highish
    I'm 41
    I am supplementing with 20 mg of topical progesterone day 12 to 26. Is estrogen lowish? My cholesterol is always on the lower side even though I eat a lot of good fats (157). I am gluten intolerant and have been off gluten for 5 yrs now. Here are recent blood tests:

Glucose 104 ( this is a whole another issue..I feel high BG is related to low cortisol)
    TIBC 274 (250-450)
    UIBC 136 136 (150-375)
    serum iron 138 (35-155)
    ferritin 101 (15-150)
    percent saturation (50%) (This has come down from 57% from 3 months ago) I havent supplemented iron for 4 months now
    vit b12 1824 I am on 1000 mg of sublingual methycobalamin
    folate >19.9 ( on a B complex that has 400 mcg of folate) I am hetero for 1298 C
    RBC 4.14 (3.77-5.28)
    hemoglobin 12.1 (11.1-15.9) (no idea why this is on low side while percent saturation is high)
    hematocrit 35.5 (34-46.6)
    mcv 86 (79-97)
    immature granulocytes 0
    immature grans 0
    reticulocyte count 0.7 (.6-2.6)
    sodium 139
    potassium 4.3
    free t3 4.8 (2-4.4)
    All I can think of as the cause of hair loss is low cortisol, low P or E. Can anyone point me in the right direction PLEASE? :)

2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Do you have a picture you can use as an avatar?

I saw your post this morning but didn't open it because I thought it was spam. Others may have thought the same.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Motivated, welcome! Yes, please post a pic and tell us about what kinds of foods you eat.

4. Hi ladies
    Thank you for your replies.
    No definitely not spam! I am a real person with real issues. :)
    Nonchalant thank you for the welcome.
    I eat a low carb paleo type diet with protein and lots of good fats like avocado , coconut oil, coconut milk, and olive oil. I need to start eating more seafood but I am not able to get local seafood so been a bit hesitant about seafood that has been coming in from China. Plus not too skilled in seafood recipes. I know this is important but I've not had a lot of support in this. Ive been spinning my wheels for 6 yrs now researching and biohacking but I'm hitting a block with the adrenal fatigue. Initially I thought it was the gluten and I should bounce back after I went gluten free but that wasnt the case.
    Normally eat pasture raised eggs for bfast but I am getting kind of tired of the eggs every day. Some type of protein either salmon, chicken, or turkey with cauliflower and broccoli, big salad for dinner with olive oil , apple cider vinegar, and celtic salt. Plus a bit of same as what was for lunch. I have been gluten free for 5 yrs now. I've been struggling with adrenal fatigue for 6 + years. So my issues of concern are a high fasting BG (118-130) even with 1000 mg of ER metformin, low cortisol 3 out of the 4 times per day,low progesterone (which I havent been able to raise even with 20 mg of Progesterone cream for a year now) and last but not least lots of hair shedding. Anyone have any insight to this please?

5. Any input please?

6. nicld

nicld Gold

Welcome.

I know for me that I have seasonal shedding about every 2 years and it just freeks me out. I saw somewhere that normal hair life cycle is about 7 years. Is is possible that it is a shedding time? I now have lots of little 4 inch hairs all over so the loss has never been permanent plus I have baby fine, thin long hair.

7. Valerie

Valerie Gold

Fast pounding heart rate at night suggest too much T3. Consider mixture of T4 and T3 or better yet natural thyroid hormone.

8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

9. WereBear

WereBear New Member

There's also the simple technique described here:

How I Thickened My Hair and Advanced My Hairline with a Simple Massage Technique (and no Drugs)

This intrigued me, and while I am a woman with thick hair, my new haircut made it easy for me to increase my use scalp brush in the shower and actual brushing of the scalp. I also did some scalp massage every day. I had the symptoms he described for about two weeks, and now it's normal again. And it feels really good!

FWIW

WildForWesties likes this.
  10. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

11. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Werebear,this actually ties in with low progesterone . brushing increases progesterone and adequate levels have to do hair growth.

Motivated you need to take into accounbt the whole picture though . The leptin reset with all that it entails might be in order.

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

-------------------------
    free testosterone .2 (0-2.2)
    free t3 4.8 (2-4.4)

Taking too much T3, reduce dose or switch to natural thyroid from pigs, take as much as you need to get freeT3~4.0
    Watch also SHBG. Supplementing with thyroid hormone aim at freeT3(3.5-4.4) use the dose that gives lowest SHBG.

Supplement with DHEA, may raise tour low testosterone.
    Take enough DHEA pills to get
    DHEAs(Women 275-400 μg/dL)

13. WereBear

WereBear New Member

Oh, I don't have any hair problems, not since I ditched any use of sodium lauryl sulfate. I was just explaining that it helped someone with NO issues in that area.

I am, in fact, following the Leptin Reset.

14. WereBear

WereBear New Member

I've become extremely skeptical of any pharmaceutical offering, because of statins, Propecia, Accutane, and Fosamax creating so many devastating and incurable side effects, even after they were only taken for a short time, even years after the people stopped taking them.

15. Hi nicld
    It doesnt appear seasonal as it been happening for 2 yrs almost cycling from bad to much worse and back to bad again. When it first started I had been doing the iodine protocol for about 6 months I think and ferritin and iron just tanked. Im not sure if there was a connection or not as I had been having trouble keeping iron in optimal range. I was able to hold it there for about 2-3 months and then it just took a nose dive. Even after I supplemented with iron and it came back into optimal range, the shedding didn't really halt.

16. Hi Valerie
    I take 75 mcg divided in 4 doses throughout the day and only have the pounding heart rate 2-3 hrs after going to bed or early morning. The reason I was taking t3 only was because the issues that landed me in reverse t3 situation were low iron and low cortisol. I have not been able to fix the low cortisol issue completely even after a few years and also iron has been fluctuating. I didn't want to end up in a reverse t3 situation hence the direct t3.

17. Hi Lahelada
    I want to thank everyone for their responses first of all..it's so very appreciated!
    I eat a lot of fat as well in the form of coconut oil, olive oil, 1-2 avocadoes a day, coconut milk, salmon twice a week , etc. Is full fat sour cream a no since its dairy based? Im not on a strict paleo diet. I do eat home made yogurt as well made from full fat milk.
    I do need to increase sea food consumption but not having much of it growing up besides fish, its hard to know how to cook it and where to source it from.
    Are sardines and tuna ok to eat even with mercury issues? Oysters are the best to eat I guess. Does one eat those raw or how to cook them? I see a lot of sardines packed in soybean oil; I try to avoid soybean consumption. Will have to look for a clean version. I wish there was a thread where people could share recipes on a leptin reset. I have been eating a ton of eggs and turkey sausage and avocado for bfast but variety would be nice.

18. WereBear
    Thank you for reminding me about massaging and this article. I do try to put coconut oil in my hair once or twice a week to give the hair some nourishment but Ive been so paranoid about even brushing it too much as all I have to do is just slide my hands down my ponytail and end up with like 10 hair in my hand. Hair was one of my best features and I had a lot of it so its very disheartening to see it going down the drain literally. The symptoms you mentioned that you had for 2 wks, were you referring to the cradle cap he talked about or something else? I'm glad your hair is back to normal.

19. Lahelada
    Thank you for the links! I know insulin resistance can cause hair loss but at what level of insulin resistance? My fasting insulin last year was 18. I know this is way too high and I can't help but think it is tied to my low cortisol somehow. I have taken HC in the past and when I was on HC my fasting BG was lower (98) than what it is now (115-126).
    How does brushing increase progesterone please? So should I just start massaging and brushing to increase blood flow even if I have more hair loss initially as it will eventually correct itself? I do have very low progesterone. P to E ratio as 15 to 1.
    I use the topical 20 mg of progesterall but I havet been able to increase it all. How does one increase progesterone and decrease Bg levels besides leptin reset? I havent been able to get far with cold thermogenesis as low P makes tolerating cold hard. I understand omega 3 to 6 ratio needs to be corrected first. What is the name of that test and can it be done through labcorp? How exactly does one raise omega 3 levels besides seafood? Is cod liver oil recommended? Krill oil and fish oil is a no no?
    I have a hard time going to bed at 10 and waking up early because of the HPA being off and low cortisol throughout the day except for evening time. What is the quickest way to fix that? I avoid blue light and use blue blockers in evening. Even if I turn everything off and lay in bed by 10, I cant fall asleep.

20. Hi JanSz
    Thank you for you input! The 75mcg of t3 is the total amount I take in a day split in 4 doses. I understand that taking direct t3 is hard on hormones and can raise SHBG. My SHBG was 69 last year with reference range being (24.6-122). Is this too much? What is optimal please? The reason I was taking t3 only was because I had a reverse t3 issue because of low iron and low cortisol. I am afraid to switch to NDT until these 2 issues resolve..iron is fluctuating and cortisol has been consistently low. Any suggestions on how to tackle this properly?
    I was under the impression that taking DHEA can further lower cortisol? My DHEA Sulfate was 144.5 ug/dL with range being (57.3 to 279.2) last year. It appears I have enough total testosterone but its bound as free is low? Is there as way to decrease SHBG without having to decrease t3?
    Thanks again