1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cause and effect or is it all correlation?

Discussion in 'Educating Doctors' started by Jack Kruse, May 6, 2015.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

• When you really understand physics, we might say, shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect. Those with natural wisdom, however, asks is cause and effect a cornerstone of science or a myth? Are there only probabilities and N =1? Bertrand Russell (1872 –1970) had an interesting take when he said, "All philosophers, of every school, imagine that causation is one of the fundamental axioms or postulates of science, yet, oddly enough, in advanced sciences such as gravitational astronomy, the word “cause” never occurs. … The law of causality, I believe, like much that passes muster among philosophers, is a relic of a bygone age, surviving, like the monarchy, only because it is erroneously supposed to do no harm." Karl Pearson (1856 – 1936), who has been credited with inventing mathematical statistics, would have agreed with Russell. He never talked about causation, though, only correlation. My idea about cause and effect is that its an idea created by relations of coupled cycles in biology.

• Me, today with biophysics glasses..........I like the roll of the dice with Werner Heisenberg. I dont believe in cause and effect any longer.

• Cause and effect went out of favor as a cornerstone of science about the time quantum mechanics was developed. Quantum mechanics is non-deterministic with events occurring randomly. Within the context of quantum mechanics, there is no reason or cause for an atom to decay at one time and not at another. The rise of quantum mechanics and the decline in the prominence of cause and effect are probably indeed cause and effect. However, even outside quantum mechanics there are problems with cause and effect. Much of physics, as Russell observed, does not explicitly use cause and effect. The equations work equally well forwards or backwards, deriving the past from present as much as the future from the past. Indeed, the equations of physics can even propagate spatially sideways rather than temporally forwards or backwards.

• Relational order helps organisms carry out biochemical reactions to cause a coordinated movement of their parts. These movements are characterized by the laws of kinetics and thermodynamics.
      In biologic systems at all levels we observe events associated with the emergence of novelty and uniqueness of function. This allows life, to specifically associate with the creative power of nature in how it recycles atoms in the abiotic ecosystem on Earth. This system is based upon nitrogen, hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen cycles. All of these cycles are coupled directly by light and ordered under the power of chronobiology. Time is formed in the relations and collisions between light and particles in atoms. This is what "creates time" in biology, circadian or quantum time.

JanSz, rlee314 and Kristi Lambert like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

JanSz likes this.