1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cataract Update

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Emma Sabin, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Hi Jack
    As requested from the Q&A last night through Andrew (I couldn't stay awake until 1am annoyingly), here's my 'question'..

I saw two surgeons last week and the update is the following:

Both highlighted the risk attached to having the surgery to someone with such high myopia and so (relatively) young. They both acknowledged that I will need the op in my right eye (with the cataract) at some point as it has got worse since last August. However the eye without a cataract is an issue as operating on this healthy left eye is not advised until it needs it. They suggested a gas permeable contact lens or an implanted contact lens to balance my vision. They said glasses wouldn't work as the difference is too big. As you can imagine I have concerns about both these options with relation to UVa. I figured the GP option would be better than implanted and wondered what you thought?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

My opinions have not changed......and after the talk I gave in Mexico on this topic I doubled down.

If you chose surgery on the bad eye be ready for the effects. I would not do a thing to your good eye.......and never would I wear a contact. This will present you a decision tree because your docs there only are making opinions based upon your eye camera with little to no concern of your eye clock.

A Black Swan always knows the clock trumps the camera.

YMMV

3. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Yes I thought you might say this. My one question though is as I'm losing vision in my right eye with the cataract, surely this is not getting any UVa through and would get more if taken out and replaced with an IOL that lets an amount in?

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My horse also agree with that.
    ----------------------------------------
    upload_2018-11-19_14-44-1.png

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

The choice must be yours.
    My take:
    When you come to the point that you eye with cataract is not usable get surgery.
    By not usable I mean not helping in your 3d vision.

Who would do the surgery and what lens to use
    and if you would want additional laser help in performing surgery
    that topic
    see my post above.

Do not touch the seeing eye eyball, no contacts or anything.
    On that eye and on operated eye use eyeglasses.
    Whatever you get, that will be it.
    Be ready to get one set of glasses about month after surgery
    and
    possibly another set few months to a year latter.

Afterward
    I am still changing my glasses yearly. They come with minute optical changes.
    And I see the difference when I put old glasses on.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Holding my thumbs for you.
    Good luck.

upload_2018-11-19_15-10-19.jpeg

Emma Sabin likes this.
  7. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

I'm not clear on what you mean. If I do not touch the seeing eyeball how will I see out of it when I am -12 in that eye? if I've had the cataract removed and replaced with an IOL in my right eye my brain will find it hard to balaance such a difference between the two and can't be good for it surely? This is what I'm experiencing now with my cataract, no vision in my right eye and ok vision in my left with glasses on. Its not an easy easy way to live and driving at night is getting dangerous. And as for reading well.... Its getting close to impossible..

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Also,
    Before or after (RIGHT eye) surgery
    you can use the best eyeglasses you can come up with.
    Do not use any contacts on any of your eyes.

///////////////

upload_2018-11-19_15-16-26.png

9. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Thanks Janz - although still not sure how glasses can work with one eye seeing full vision and one eye not - the balanace is not going to be good for my brain I am led to believe. And a few whgove been in a similar position have told me the same.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I just gave a talk 5 days ago in Mexico to a large audience of eye doctors and I used this video to explain how non linear effects of light help improve the balance of power in the retina and RPE of the eye to make it impossible to get a cataract or acute macular degeneration.........what was the predator in my example for my audience how to the improve the rivers of blood in the retina from the ophthalmic artery of the sick patients? It turns out that UV and IR light from AM sunlight is the "light predator" that the human eye must have to maintain its optimal health matrix. This juxtaposition stunned the eye doctors because all of them were taught to believe, as I was in med school, that UV light was a predator stimulus like the wolf was thought to be in Yellowstone. It turns out this linear thinking was dead wrong when it was examined closely when unleashed in nature. Moreover, when I showed them the effect of how a "hidden light predator" from AM light could 'tame" the retinal vessels and heal them because of the non-linear effects of UV and IR light our retina does not see on the fovea.......silence filled the room. When you know better, you can do better and think about your environment is a non-linear behavior I teach my tribe of misfits. UV and IR light act with a Warburg metabolism on the retina to create nitric oxide which sharpens camera vision improves the eye clock functioning and reduces the chance that cataracts form. They key is understanding where this transition occurs in your own life based on your light choices. No two eyes are the same.

brookway17 likes this.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Are you asking the right question?

Does the cataract protect you from UV or from blue light? Is your brain trying to tell you something you keep missing?

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you replace the bad lens with an IOL you will need to use your good eye and SKIN to offset the loss of sunlight programming to the IOL eye.

Know this before you jump to act. This means where you live really matters after cataract surgery.

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

14. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Yes I hear you. Except I am super careful to protect my eyes from blue light and they get the AM sun most days. This is why I am disappointed that its got worse.

15. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Yes. I am taking it all in. This is not a rushed decision I assure you. And will only happen when it’s necessary.

16. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

You would recommend these? I never use fake lights but think I’m going to need to if I stay in Europe.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

VITAMIN B12: Is Vitamin B12 a photoreceptor in humans? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27217104

Modern man is "chasing a moving train," with technology -- between adjusting to a new system and overcoming his injuries, when will he learn? The question posed is this: "Vitamin B12 deficiency is associated with geographical latitude and solar radiation in the population"

Is B12 a human photoreceptor? Does it work with other photoreceptors on our surfaces where sunlight interacts? Yes, it quenches nitric oxide. Nitric oxide causes too much blood to flow into an area with bad mitochondria it can stimulate proliferation. This is why the retina controls NO release using UVA and IR-A light to allow B12 to act as a turn on and off switch for NO. When the switch is defective AMD is the result in central camera vision where NO acts due to the absence of the ophthalmic artery. AllDocs talk wisdom from my Nov 15, 2018 talk in Cancun. I also believe cataracts are tied to defects in this mechanism.

Jim Laird likes this.
  18. Inna

Inna Platinum

Emma, you might want to watch Jack’s interview in Cancun a couple of days ago entitled ‘open your eyes’ it is on his doctor Facebook page and also the talk he gave to eye doctors there, it might be helpful to you

Emma Sabin likes this.
  19. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Thanks Inna. I'll go find it now.

20. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Morning Jack,
    So Jman one of the forum members who also commented on the conversation 'cataract surgery decision' thread https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/cataract-surgery-decision.18588/page-4
    He has been giving me a 'clued up opthamologist' viewpoint that takes my mitochondria in to consideration as well as my eyes.

He has kindly provided me with some graphs to help me understand it further and I'd like your thoughts to make sure I'm seeing this clearly (excuse the pun).

So based on the thesis that the retina receives some UVA -- this differs depending on age, which you can see in the attached graph (~15% in those > 10 years of age, but this goes down to 1% in the 60-70 year-old). Is this likely due to a cataract?

The next graph shows that same curve for a 53-year-old lens, which has a 10% cut-off in the paper at 400 nm. The clear IOL's Jman has recommended (ZCB00 and MX60E) have a 10% cut off in the 364-375 nm range, which appear to allow more UVA light into the retina than a 53-year-old natural lens -- perhaps allowing a percentage more toward the 15% of a younger eye? The IOL does block that peak in the UVB region, which was mentioned in the original thread.

The last graph is the from Boettner article that shows how the curve changes with age.

So if you saying more UVA light is better, and the graphs here show you get more UVA light with a clear IOL than you do if you don't have cataract surgery, would this make the risk much less for me?

Attached Files: