1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cataract surgery decision

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by Emma Sabin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Hi Caroline. I had the surgery 6 months ago and so far so good. I can see well, I feel well and am happy I did it. And thats all I can hope for. Other than a future of health. Getting lots of sun and sea helps!
    Thank you for asking :)

Jude and Inger like this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Hurrah.
    Great news.
    What about driving a car in the rain and at night?

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Emma ....so glad to hear from you and that you are doing well.

What kind of IOL did you decide on? both eyes done?

Which surgeon did you choose?

4. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

I'll attach the IOL details for you. Had to go for both eyes in the end as my brain could not cope with one eye at -13 and one normal. It was a big decision but one I feel happy with. My surgeon was amazing - Javier Fernandez (trained all around the world works mainly in Barcelona and luckily for me lives in Ibiza). My heart chose him as it felt right. He did not laugh at me when I talked about Jack's theories and was the most interested opthamologist I'd spoken to. He was very patient as I asked question after question about the lenses and what my options were. After much deliberation I chose to go for it as my quality of life was not good and I had tried everything to reverse it. I forget I had it done and have to remind myself and be thankful that I can see so well. I get a little bit nervous when thinking about the future but try not to. Lets face it anything could happen to any part of my body!

upload_2020-7-19_8-31-19.png

5. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

So far so good. I'm an early bird mind you, so don't drive loads at night and we don't have loads of rain so not testing it too much!

6. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

I also chatted to a guy called Jay in the States who follows Jack's work too (Nathan Waltz put me in touch with him) He wrote this ....

I have reviewed you notes and am very familiar with the Tecnis Monofocal IOL that you’re surgeon is planning to use. Obviously you are significantly visually impaired and the cataract surgery from that standpoint is medically necessary. I am assuming that you have studied Jack Kruse’s perspective on the UV blocking effect of all modern IOL’s. Unfortunately we do not have an IOL that simulates the light transmissibility of the natural crystalline lens, although there is an effort to persuade the IOL companies to consider that. I do think from what we have to offer the Tecnis is a “good” IOL.
    Another thing to be aware of is that as a high myope your risk of retinal detachment after cataract surgery is higher than the average population. Of course RD’s can be surgically treated, that is something you should know. I don’t think we fully understand how much Retinal detachments and the surgery further affect the eye’s ability to assimilate light. If you proceed with the Tecnis IOL I do think you can get some UV transmission through the sclera depending on your latitude and time of year as long as the underlying retina is functional, of course this takes off axis “sun gazing” of which Dr. Kruse has written about. My understanding of the “sun gazing” is that you never want to look directly at the sun except at sunrise and sunset when it’s ok. I think Jack advises looking 30 degrees off axis or more depending on your light sensitivity. Again I do believe the retinal photoreceptors can receive solar radiation directly through the sclera bypassing the cataract and subsequent IOL.

I am working with U.S. IOL companies to try to develop a more spectrally appropriate IOL. I have several design options but have not received much interest from the U.S. companies since the money for them is in the refractive implants and that’s really what the population cares about due to lack of education about the important of sunlight to optimize health. I am giving a lecture in November to a group of 40 eye docs attempting to gain more grassroots support from the physician community and then lobby the companies to get us more options for patients who desire this type of IOL. I think it’s a long road but one worth traveling.

7. Inger

Inger Silver

Awesome, Emma. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am so glad it all went well :) :)
    And you are right about that we can never know what happens tomorrow. All we can do is to do our best and then relax :)
    I used to worry so much. But slowly I have learned it does not make any sense at all. Life is so unpredictable. And that is probably what makes it so charming ;)

Emma Sabin likes this.
  8. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Thank you Inger for taking the time to reply to me. This has been a sometimes lonely path and this forum and people like you have helped me massively :)

9. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

I should also say JanSz - the hardest thing about driving at night is wearing my blueblockers!!

John Schumacher and JanSz like this.
  10. CarolandNick

CarolandNick Silver

Hi Emma,
    I have really appreciated reading your posts. My partner, Nick is dealing with a cataract in one of his eyes and is finding himself closer now to having to act. A eye exam a couple of weeks ago reported that it is now 'ripe'. We will have to work within the NHS, I guess as funds are limited, but it is great to have your IOL suggestion to work with. He has not committed to anything yet.
    The pressures in his eyes were shown to be rather high in that examination, and has to be the priority right now. He has no symptoms of glaucoma at all, weirdly, and this was an utter confusion for the eye doctors at the hospital. Nick has ramped up all his JK protocols and we bought an EMR Tek red light a couple of weeks ago to add more red light into the mix. Before any mainstream intervention we are working with a UK naturopath that has studied JKs work to see what impact we can have.

Emma Sabin and caroline like this.
  11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

John Schumacher likes this.