1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cascara Sagrada for Constipation?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by seanb4, Jun 30, 2013.

1. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I have many health problems one of which is constipation. I have tried many many things to help this most of which don't work too well.

I was reading an article () that stated cascara sagrada was particularly effective at eliminating constipation due to emodin. Apparently emodin has some special anti inflammatory effects, helps stop leaky gut and works with the smooth muscles so that it doesn't cause dependency. I wondered if anyone has had any experience with this and do you know if it is safe to use long term.

Thanks, Sean.

2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I just nosed around a bit as herbs/natural products always interest me. Most sources say that Cascara S. does create dependency when used over a longer term. Additionally it could cause an electrolyte imbalance. I would only use it short term if in dire need.
    I hope someone speaks up who is actually using it.

3. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Yea Lahelada I've read it both ways. Fingers crossed someone with long term experience will speak up.

4. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

5. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

@GlenPDQ if that works i will be shocked to say the least.

6. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Mag citrate always worked for me. Now that I have been working on fixing my gut, I no longer need it.;)

7. 007Dux

007Dux New Member

Been using a small dose (1 pill) of a major brand natural "Super Cleanse" on a dialy basis for over 5 years. Why so long?-->because it works. It does contain Cascara Sagrada, in addition to a bunch of other stuff. I am dependant on taking this pill every day for normal function. I'd be okay with the dependence because the result make me be able to function, where previously I couldn't and was miserable, but I do fear long-term side effects.

8. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Hmm, i've been using it for a couple of days now and can get one BM per day however it is very watery and also the cascara gives me stomach cramps.

I think my constipation is to do with my thyroid however I do not know how to fix this without testing.