1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Caroline's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Caroline Cooper, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Day 51 (August 4, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.1C (Day 12 of cycle)

2c coffee, raw cream and 1tsp butter

Tub/Ice

15 minutes at tub temperature: 18.3-16.7C

Temperature before tub: 36.3C

The tub felt cold today. As I have said before getting in the tub at that body temperature is hard. I did not face dunk but used my mind to accept the cold and discomfort. A cold tub is a good Stoic's exercise. I had one of those unusual days where my body temperature went up in the tub, not down. I will ovulation today or tomorrow. While I was in the tub, I was thinking about the human condition and how women have to learn to ride the rhythms of the universe in a way men do not. It makes women "weaker" in some ways and "stronger" in others.

Temperature after tub: 36.6C

Breakfast

I am not hungry yet. I find all that butter and cream in the coffee really makes eating breakfast hard. It would be really easy to do Intermittent fasting (IF) during these coffee days. The question that comes to mind is what would the coffee and IF do to my insulin levels? I would have to get a glucose meter to find out.

I had an omelette with zucchini, mushrooms, onions and cheese. I have buttered zucchini and garden salad on the side. I know many people wonder how to figure out how to manage carbohydrate load seasonally. Having a garden and eating out of it will teach the most committed urbanite about eating locally and eating seasonally.

Snack

I had some Brazil Coconut Candy and 2c matcha.

[​IMG]

Tub/Ice

Temperature before tub: 36.7C

It was a cold tub again. I couldn't bring myself to face dunk. Just sat there and tried to be comfortable. I could hear the grasshoppers outside.

Temperature after tub: 36.8C

Dinner

I had two small sockeye salmon steaks marinated in dill with zucchini cooked with lard. I picked another garden salad with dill, beet tops, and parsley. My lettuce are starting to bolt. I cut off the tops but that wont stop the natural course of things. I made some homemade ice cream. I am so full. A great meal.

2. Caroline Cooper

Day 52 (August 5, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.4C (Day 13 of cycle)

I am on my two day rise towards my luteal phase of my cycle. (A healthy cycle would make a sharp one day rise.)

3c coffee, raw cream and 3tsp butter

Tub/Ice

20 minutes at tub temperature: 22.2-19.4C

Temperature before tub: 36.9C

I changed my tub water yesterday. I wasn't careful about making sure the water going into the tub was as cold as possible so my tub this morning was warmer than normal. It felt so warm. Also, I am on my two day rise towards my luteal phase of my cycle which appears to make me more tolerant to the cold. I decided to give myself an extra five minutes. It was so "warm" that I grabbed the ice block and first tried to sit on it. My shoulders were out of the water so I took the block and placed it on my stomach area for as long as it was comfortable. The block of ice was about the size of my spread hand at the end of the bath. I just left the block in the tub to help the cooling process. I don't normally do this because I do not want to overwhelm my freezers with warm items because it will effect the quality of my frozen foods. Everything has a cost.

Temperature after tub: 37.0C

Breakfast

I am not hungry yet. I ate a delicious Sunday breakfast of omelette with cheese, zucchini, onions and mushrooms. I had a garden salad of four types of lettuce, beet tops, dill and parsley with homemade dressing. I just love eating dill at this time of year fresh from the garden. We will be going to the lake today. I am sure I will be doing some lake CT and suntanning. We are bring the rocket stove and will cook paleo burgers on lettuce leaves for dinner. I can't wait!

Suntanning/Lake CT

Lake CT for three times for 15 minutes

What a beautiful day. I couldn't believe the number of people.

Lunch

I had two paleo burgers with homemade mayo and ketchup on lettuce leaves. I had a small amount of milk. I had some Brazil coconut candy. Shaen cooked the burgers on the rocket stove in the middle of the park. Shaen was a bit nervous about the crowd and wondered if we would have any complaints. Actually, we made almost no smoke. A barbecue down the beach put out far more smoke and smell than our rocket stove. A neighbor came over to look at the stove and said it reminded him of being up past the Arctic Circle and seeing Norwegian torches used to land a plane. I think he was surprise I knew what a Norwegian torch was. If you are wondering what a Norwegian torch is, here is a video. They call it a Swedish Torch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQRLQTNsJo[/video]][video=youtube_share;vjQRLQTNsJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQRLQTNsJo[/video]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tub/Ice

Before tub temperature: 36.9C

15 minutes at tub temperature: 22.1-19.4C

The house was hot when we got home even though we had shut all the blinds on the west side of the house. The temperature was 29.4C so I wasn't that surprised my tub was warm again.

Temperature after tub: 37.1C

Snack

I has some pumpkin seeds cooked in coconut oil and a very small glass of absinthe.

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Mine, too. I have a few lettuces that are shaded by some bigger kale I think those are going to make it a little longer. Oh well, time for zucchini and cucumbers and chard :) I think I'll put some spring onions in their place I've been eating those like crazy. My radishes never really made it this year. Bolted before they could grow a radish. And my turnips are *bitter* yuck.

4. Caroline Cooper

You know I don't mind the bolt anymore. I have been trying to do more permaculture with my garden in the last few years. It's messy but a lot less work. I let the plants seed and watch what comes up next year. Even annuals and bi-annuals can work this way. We have a self-perpetuating potato patch and sweet beet area from last year. (You can eat the beet greens but the root was traditionally used as animal fodder. Cows love them. You wouldn't believe the number of seeds coming off those plants.) I am working on getting my cilantro and dill to come back without planting.

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I did the cilantro and dill.... unintended successful experiment. I just didn't clean out the bolted plants.... they came back. Dill is perennial me thinks in CO. I do eat beet greens... used to juice carrot tops but no more. Jerusalem artichokes are self-perpetuating if you like them.

Any ideas on what to do with bitter turnips....? I choked one down the other day, cooked, but it was no fun.

6. Caroline Cooper

Yeah, I'm wondering about winter kill around here. Jerusalem artichokes grow well around here but I can't tolerate the starches. The potatoes in our garden are for other family members. I can't tolerate the starch in potatoes. I am still waking up with numb hands after eating those potato French fries almost two weeks ago.

If you have any livestock I would feed them the bitter turnips. You could try more salt and see if the bitterness goes away. If you like fermenting you could try that but you are likely wasting your time. Better to feed them to the animals or throw them in the compost. I am sure they will make wonderful soil in the end!

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

No livestock.... too bad. No compost either :( I make the best out of my living situation and that's where it stops, unfortunately. At least I can grow some things..... I know some people with chickens though. Maybe they would like them (the chickens, not the people :)).

8. Caroline Cooper

Day 53 (August 6, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.6C (Day 14 of cycle)

Because my temperature was above 36.4C (luteal phase) I did not drink coffee today.

3c matcha

Breakfast

I had a breakfast of leftover cauliflower with cream and butter. I had beef shank stew cooked in bone broth and tomatoes.

Exercise/Play

I had a nice easy 1.0 hour walk with Shaen.

Tub/Ice

20 minutes at tub temperature: 22.2-19.4C

Temperature before tub: 37.0C

The house is already 27.2C. The tube felt nice after my short walk.

Temperature after tub: 37.0C

Dinner

I have sockeye salmon with garden salad and dressing. I had homemade chocolate ice cream/

9. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

It seems like you have a lot of similarities in regards to basal body temp as I do and irregular cycles. I've been trying to fix this for a long time. Anyways...I will read your journal with great intent.

Let me know if you've increased your salt intake and how that goes and if it helps the endocrine system.

For me, I've added a pro-biotic (which Dr. K says it's like pissing in a lake...sigh) as well as good quality bovine collostrum. I'm so serious about healing my gut (which I believe leads to auto-immune problems).

Btw, my name is Gladina on the forums, but Zorica Vuletic on the comments of his blogs...so if you see two names, it's just me, one person. I originally used Gladina, and then somehow my real name showed up. LOL.

After my lunch of EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA salt...I actually DID feel pretty good, like instant brightness. *cross fingers* I'm now soaking some seaweed and 'fungus' (from the Asian store) for later. I don't know what type of mushrooms it is...if it's the bladderwrack or not.

You are experimental and have a good head on your shoulders. Do not feel self conscious about your learning disability b/c instead you are curious and willing to learn. Imagine if you 'knew everything like supposedly everyone else' then your health problems could have been so out of hand! Well it's OK to have a brain that is wired 'differently'. I know mine sure is...but I like it this way. My life is certainly unconventional and I am very grateful for this. I cannot imagine my life as a 'standard norm'. Sorry for those people.

10. Caroline Cooper

Day 54 (August 7, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.4C (Day 15 of cycle)

2c coffee, raw cream and 2tsp butter

Breakfast

I had a breakfast of omelette with onions, zucchini, mushrooms and cheese. I had a garden salad and homemade dressing on the side.

Suntanning/Lake CT

15 minutes for two times of lake CT

Dinner

I have sockeye salmon and raw cheese out of my lunch kit at the lake.

11. Caroline Cooper

Day 55 (August 8, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.5C (Day 16 of cycle)

Tub/Ice

15 minutes at tub temperature: 22.2-19.4C

Temperature before tub: 36.9C

It was nice having Shaen sit and talk with my while I was in the tub. I didn't seem to even feel the cold.

Temperature after tub: 37.2C

Breakfast

I had an small piece of omelette with mushrooms , zucchini and cheese. I had salad and homemade dressing on the side. I was almost too stressed to eat.

Suntanning/Lake CT

15 minutes of lake CT

It was very windy today at the lake. Business intruded on my day off today. I had a very short period of time at the lake but it was wonderful nevertheless.

Dinner

I had some tuna salad, raw cheese, lettuce and cold sockeye out of our lunch kit.

New post at eatkamloops.org for the Healthy Household series. It's about sex lubes and Happy Vagina Pearls. I hope you all like it:

http://eatkamloops.org/heathy-household-sex-lubes-and-happy-vagina-pearls/

Here's is the whole Healthy Household series if you are interested:

http://eatkamloops.org/healthy-household-staying-clean-safely-and-saving-money/

Snack

I had a lamb chop and small glass of absinthe.

Saliva Test Results

The test results were no surprise to me, just validation:

Estradiol: 3.1pg/ml

Progesterone: 49pg/ml

Ratio Pg/E2: 16

Testosterone: 43pg/ml

DHEAS: 18.7ng/ml

Cortisol Morning: 12.2ng/ml

Cortisol Noon: 1.6ng/ml

Cortisol Evening: 1.5ng/ml

Cortisol Night: 0.7ng/ml

1. The estradiol is at the top quadrant (estrogen dominant) while my progesterone is low quadrant pointing to anovulatory cycle or luteal phase failure. I have tried all of the other ways to increase my progesterone over the last 40 cycles without much success. Supplementation seems to be my only choice or do nothing and accept the situation.

2. Testosterone in top quadrant but have symptoms of deficiency. May point to poor tissue response.???

3. DHEAS way above top quadrant for my age.??? Normally, would mean I am taking DHEA supplements, adrenal adaptogens or a well trained athlete. I am not an athlete, nor have I recently taken supplements or adaptogens.

4. Morning cortisol is very high. Gee, no surprise there! Yeah, I'm stressed out of my mind, but who the hell isn't in our modern world. I was really happy to see a normal pattern of decline over the day. That was a big change over six years ago when I was a flat-line and it was surprising I could get out of bed in the morning. I will continue to work with my mind on stress management.

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Use your investment in the probiotic to make your own probiotic kitchen farm.... you can use it to make homemade kevita type drinks, ferment coconut milk and all sorts of other stuff. It will last forever b/c you use little and the probiotics will multiply in the fermentation process..... no more pissing in the lake :)

13. Caroline Cooper

Hi Gladina,

Thank you for your kind comments. You gave me a smile on what has been a really tough day. When I have a "day-off" like today, I wonder if I will ever be free of my chains. All I can do on days like today is count my many blessings and work on the gift of forgiveness. I so want to have tranquility even when the storms of life batter my roof.

Yes, the salt thing is interesting. I don't control my salt intake. Of course, I have been programmed by my culture to "control" my salt intake even if I'm not consciously aware I am doing so. Maybe I do need more salt than my "trained" tastes "naturally" allow. I have been trying to add a bit more and remembering to add some seaweed that always sits on my table.

As for probiotics, I have had some success with therapeutic probiotics. Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride has some interesting ideas about getting probiotics in to your system. Her GAPS book outlines the methods. She uses probiotics orally and anally for really tough cases. I still think it is best to use fermented foods first
    and then add therapeutic probiotics if required.

http://eatkamloops.org/what-is-a-healthy-gut/

http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-six-cultures.htm

Here is what I know about colostrum. Find a local cow if you can. It will work much better:

http://eatkamloops.org/vanilla-colostrum-shake/

It is really cutting edge stuff but many people think you can't replace the "mural" bacteria just the "transitory" bacteria. The "mural" bacteria is the bacteria on the wall of the intestine connected into the gut-brain. The "transitory" bacteria come and go with your food. I don't know if this is correct or not but I have seen great improvement in my condition:

1. Low-carbohydrate or ketogenic diets help control the populations of "bad" bacteria.

2. Fermented foods at every meal. (Make your own in your own kitchen to get the local "wild" bacteria. It will help you the most.)

3. Eat the "vegetated" part of the plant to feed your "good" gut flora: lettuce, celery, herbs, beet tops, etc. Avoid root or high carbohydrate parts of the plant.

14. Caroline Cooper

Day 56 (August 9, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.1C (Day 17 of cycle)

Wow. That is a low temperature for my luteal phase.

Breakfast

I had bowl of leftover tuna, celery and onions.

Getting Progesterone

I decided to give it a try and see if I could get a local doctor at the clinic to write me a script for bio-identical progesterone. I went down to the clinic before 9:00am and waited in a line with over 40 people. I got a time to see a doctor at noon and went home to work. I was surprised how easy it was to get the script when I finally saw the doctor. He hardly even looked at the test results. I said the pharmacists next door said he thought I needed about 25mg of BHRT progesterone. The doctor just wrote the script for three months. I noted all the sick people in the line up today and asked for a refill for another three months. I didn't want to take up his valuable time when there are so many really sick people needing help. I didn't get the refill but he gave me three WHOLE months worth of hormone which works out to about a six month supply. I also showed the pharmacist the BHRT progesterone I already had and asked him if he thought it would be okay to use in an emergency. He thought the progesterone looked really good. This is the stuff I got. I was surprised it was easy to get over the border:

http://www.life-flo.com/women-s-wellness/progesta-care-unscented-3.html

I was really shocked at how many really sick people were in line. I saw one man that had one of those walker-seats and couldn't stand and a woman pulling an oxygen cart. These very sick people didn't go to the front of the line but had to queue with the rest of us. Many people don't have a family doctor and can't get one. I was shocked and how the clinic system was dysfunctional because of the high numbers of sick people. I am the end of the baby-boom. When I see line ups like this all I can think is don't get sick and find ways to take care of your own health.

Snack

I had three bowls of fresh local blueberries.

Tub/Ice

Temperature before tub: 37.0C

The tub felt cold today.

Temperature after tub: 37.2C

Dinner

I had part of a pork chop with onions cooked in lard. I had garden salad with celery tops and homemade dressing.

15. Zorica Vuletic

Thanks for the great idea Souldanzer. I was thinking of making this switch! Also it will have a delicious taste which you can't get from pills.

Good news for all: I think I'm getting over my constipation the past few days! It feels SO liberating, and hopefully this just means progress in the right direction. I also hope it continues and hope that my cycle will be regular again this month too! I hope that bbt (basal body temp.) begins to increase too over time. (Although I don' feel the cold...hmmm...).

16. Zorica Vuletic

Good luck with the progesterone. I hope it helps!!

17. Caroline Cooper

Hi Gladina,

If you have gut dysbiosis, constipation can be a real problem. When I went on the SCD/GAPS program the only thing that didn't go well for me was constipation. I was having type 1 and on good days type 2 bowel movement using the Bristol Stool Chart. It wasn't very pleasant:

http://thewvsr.com/bristolstoolchart.htm

Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride has a section on constipation in her book, Gut and Psychology Syndrome
    . The sections starts on page 225. She gives detail instructions on how she does an enema and how to use probiotics. I know there can be a real yuck factor here and I wish I hadn't been so squeamish about trying it. I could have saved myself years of suffering. I guess it was thinking about my mom dying of bowel cancer that got me over the yuck factor.

The emema, the way she does it, seems to retrain the bowel to work properly again even if the constipation has been going on a long time. Well, it worked for me anyway. I now have type 4 or 5 most days. I now occasionally get constipated traveling but normally my bowel function is healthy.

18. janagram

janagram New Member

Thanks for the happy vagina pearl recipe! the Inner Intimates ones are so expensive!

19. Caroline Cooper

I had someone from www.350.org ask me what I thought would work better than a carbon tax. Here is what I came up with. I just wanted to share it with you:

What would happen if everyone had there own garden in there front and back yard? What would happen if the family ate all summer long out of that garden and put some away for the winter? What would happen if people traded between households and helped the people they knew didn't have enough?

What would happen if we started building our houses out of local materials only, so the houses would look different all over the world because the local materials are different? What would happen if we powered these houses with local resources? What would happen if we slightly changed the way we lived to reduce our energy consumption? What would happen if we changed laws and bylaws so people could make these changes?

What would happen if we all started eating herbivores (cows, buffalo, etc) feed only on pasture? What would happen if only occasionally, we all ate omnivores (hogs, chickens, etc) mostly feed on pasture but needing additional grain and legume feed?

What would happen if we all started eating only organically produced foods and stopped buying industrially produced foods?

What would happen if we stopped buying stuff we don't need? What would happen if we stopped buying junk and only bought items that could last a lifetime of use and could be given to our children?

What would happen if we thought about everything that we don't produce ourselves? What would happen if we wondered about how an item is produced and what the true costs are to the people that produced it and the true costs to the environment?

What would happen if we started to think about our waste stream? What would happen if we became aware of how our "medicines" and "cosmetics" that we use and throw away poison other animals and ourselves? What would happen if people really had to deal with the garbage produced by their own household consumption?

What would happen if we could heal ourselves of most illnesses and not need the care of doctors and the medical system? What would if be like to not have 40 people standing outside a medical clinic hoping for help?

What would happen if we all lived near where we worked, and our work places were safe and healthy? What would happen if women that decided to have children could stay with their children instead of having to go back to work and ship their children off to be raised by strangers?

What would happen if people became aware of how much "raping and pillaging" of the environment and of oppressed peoples occurs so we can have a nice fat gain in our portfolios? What would happen if everyone realized their high paying job with all those benefits was causing suffering for others?

What would happen if we discovered that we were actually slaves of a system that was progressively destroying the world, while enriching the few? What would happen if people decided not to participate in the above?

That's what "we" could do but I would never want to participate in a system that would "force" these changes on my neighbors. If we are going to change the world it will be through raising the consciousness of people not through oppressive laws which have got us where we are now. Einstein said: "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

Love, Caroline

20. janagram

janagram New Member

Fantastic! Beautifully said! I agree and really....you should get this statement (inquiry) out on some other sites!