1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Caroline's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Caroline Cooper, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Some History

I have been playing around with cold thermogenesis since about January 15, 2012. I don't really have any weight to lose and my health is good. I have been on the SCD/GAPS or a modified paleo diet for about six years. Changing my diet transformed my health and cured my health problems which included: asthma, allergies, chronic sinus infections, yeast infections, osteoarthritis and epilepsy. Because I have been using the SCD/GAPS or modified paleo diet for a long time, I am a good candidate for seeing what cold thermogenesis can do.

I do have some sort of endocrine problem. I haven't been tested in about five years but the last testing I did my adrenals were very tired. I do have a low body temperature which points to a dysfunction in my adrenal-thyroid-pituitary axis. After reading Dr Krase's blog posts I have decided to try using CT to reboot my adrenals-thyroid-pituitary axis. From what I have read, people like myself are slow to respond to CT.

Getting into that cold tub is very hard for me especially in the morning when my temperature is the lowest of the day. Even though I have been off coffee for over a year, I am going to try using coffee "medicinally" to reboot my system. Or that is the hope. I am going to do this trail for thirty days. I hope this journal will be of assistance to other people with endocrine problems. I hope you can learn from my mistakes; I know I will make a lot.

Some Changes I have made since reading Dr Kruse's website:

1. I turn off the most of the breakers in the house except for the fridge and freezers at sundown.

2. I have tried to be more ketogenic with my already fairly low carbohydrate diet.

Results of CT Experiment After 30 Days

These are some of the things I noticed over the last 30 days of CT. Do note I started CT in the middle of my last cycle when my temperatures were their "hottest":

1. I had a shorter cycle than normal, only 25 days.

2. I had a longer period than normal, 6 days rather than 4-5 days. Normally, my periods start and stop without the nonsense of spotting.

3. I had some spotting on day 9 which normally never happens. There was big and black clots of blood. Sorry, for the graphic detail.

4. I found it easier to do the tub if my temperature getting into the tub was over 36.5C. This means the luteal phase (after ovulation) of my cycle is easier for CT.

5. The follicular phase (before ovulation) is harder to do CT because my temperatures are naturally lower during that time.

6. My follicular phase appears to have a more "stable" temperature profile from day-to-day. Normally, my temperatures can be all over the place.

7. I had 10 days in my follicular phase under 36.3C which according to Katie Singer would mean I have a "cold uterus". (More than 3 days under 36.3C means infertility.)

8. I don't tend to weigh myself more than once a week. I have gained 3 pounds this month but that really doesn't mean much. I never did my measurements during the month so I can't say if my body composition has changed. I can say this. I have two sizes of pants size 8 and 10. Size 10 are really loose and size 8 are comfortable. My husbands says I look firmer, but he's a really nice guy!

9. I am more tolerate to cold. I am willing to into the local lakes and rivers; I would not have been willing to do so in the past.

It might be helpful to outline what I was hoping CT would do for me:

1. I hoped it would increase my overall body temperature.

2. I hoped my cycles would be a few days longer. In particular my luteal phase which would mean my progesterone ratio is better.

3. I hoped I would have a better temperature transition - a nice snappy rise in one day - from my follicular phase to my luteal phase.

4. I hoped it would "fix" my hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis without the use of bio-identical hormones or "manually" messing with my endocrine system.

Results of CT Experiment After 60 Days

What I have noticed over the 60 days of CT.

1. My second cycle was even shorter at 24 days.

2. My second period was more normal. Four days with not spotting.

3. My follicular phase did not have the normal up and down of daily temperature. All my days in the follicular phase was 36.3C or under that temperature which means I have a "cold" uterus and I am infertile. I had a more even temperature throughout my follicular phase. (This is considered a healthier pattern. This month I looked like I have thyroid problem, low average temperatures but stable. Normally I have low, fluctuating temperatures which point to adrenal problem.)

4. I seem to be able to increase or keep my body temperature the same in the cold tub after ovulation and during the luteal phase. In the follicular phase I cannot increase my body temperature and my body temperature can drop quite low.

5. I started bio-identical 20mg of progesterone on day 10 of my third cycle. I started taking 25mg of progesterone on day 17.

6. My weight is back down to 130 pounds which is normal.

7. I have noticed my feet are tougher. I can walk bare foot with the ouch, ouch, ouch of every step.

8. I like doing CT in the lake with my daughter. Being in the water with her has enriched my life.

9. I have not seen much improvement in my endocrine health over the last 60 days of doing CT. CT may help in the long run but it isn't a quick fix for people like me. I am wondering if CT works better for men without hormonal cycling that women face?

10. Choosing to take bio-identical progesterone feels like a "failure" to me. I am sad that the CT did not have a more positive effect. I would hope that I would not have to take progesterone long term and could use it to re-balance my system and then be able to go off the hormone.

11. I will continue for another 30 days of CT for a total of 90 days for this experiment. I wonder how many people would be willing to have "faith" in this method if there isn't some signs of improvement?

12. Saliva Test Results from Day 55

The test results were no surprise to me, just validation:

Estradiol: 3.1pg/ml

Progesterone: 49pg/ml

Ratio Pg/E2: 16

Testosterone: 43pg/ml

DHEAS: 18.7ng/ml

Cortisol Morning: 12.2ng/ml

Cortisol Noon: 1.6ng/ml

Cortisol Evening: 1.5ng/ml

Cortisol Night: 0.7ng/ml

1. The estradiol is at the top quadrant (estrogen dominant) while my progesterone is low quadrant pointing to anovulatory cycle or luteal phase failure. I have tried all of the other ways to increase my progesterone over the last 40 cycles without much success. Supplementation seems to be my only choice or do nothing and accept the situation.

2. Testosterone in top quadrant but have symptoms of deficiency. May point to poor tissue response.???

3. DHEAS way above top quadrant for my age.??? Normally, would mean I am taking DHEA supplements, adrenal adaptogens or a well trained athlete. I am not an athlete, nor have I recently taken supplements or adaptogens.

4. Morning cortisol is very high. Gee, no surprise there! Yeah, I'm stressed out of my mind, but who the hell isn't in our modern world. I was really happy to see a normal pattern of decline over the day. That was a big change over six years ago when I was a flat-line and it was surprising I could get out of bed in the morning. I will continue to work with my mind on stress management.

August 17, 2012: I have decided not to continue with the journal. I realized Day 90 would be well into the start of my home schooling year. I need to focus on other tasks right now.

Day 1

Waking Temperature: 35.7C (day 11 of cycle)

2c Coffee, 1/2c raw cream, 2T organic butter and 2tsp organic coconut oil

After coffee temperature: 36.7C

Tub

Tub temperature about: 15.5C-16.7C

15 minutes

After tub temperature: 36.0C

Ring finger tip on left hand white and numb. Still not hungry but will eat soon.

2. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

That coffee sounds delicious!!!

3. Caroline Cooper

I haven't consumed coffee in over a year. Coffee was really hard to quit. I am going to try to use coffee like medicine and see if I could use coffee to motivate myself to get into that cold water in the morning.

4. Caroline Cooper

Day 2

Waking Temperature: 36.3C (day 12 of cycle)

2c Coffee, about 1/2c raw cream, 2T organic butter and 2tsp organic coconut oil

After coffee temperature: 36.5C

Tub

15 minutes at tub temperature about: 15.5C-16.7C

I find it difficult to do the tub in morning. I am already quite cold.

After tub temperature: 35.7C

Breakfast

This is the first time I have tried to upload a photo. Here is my raw cream, from my cow, and pastured organic butter with Bulletproof coffee. I am having two sunny-side-up pastured eggs, from my hens. The lard, I cooked the eggs in, is from our pastured hogs. The salad is from a local organic farm and the dressing is homemade. The mustard is homemade using lacto-fermentation and the beef is from our bull that was slaughtered last summer. Here is his progeny:

[​IMG]

http://eatkamloops.org/olivias-third-calf/

Lunch/Dinner

This is my lunch/dinner of pastured pork shank. I usually just eat twice a day. The pork shanks had the bone in. I have removed the bones and saved them for bone broth. My husband used a dry-rub for barbecue sauce out of The Joy of Cooking and slow cooked it in a Dutch Oven for 4 hours at 275F.

[​IMG]

Spot Ice

Block ice: 60 minutes (lower abdomen)

After ice temperature: 36.3C

5. Caroline Cooper

Day 2

Refer to above. Just cleaning up a double journal entry.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Caroline Cooper

Day 2

Refer to above. Just cleaning up a double journal entry.

7. Caroline Cooper

Day 3

Waking Temperature: 36.3C (Day 13 of cycle)

3c Coffee

about 1/2c raw cream

2T organic butter

2tsp organic coconut oil

After coffee temperature: 36.8C

Tub

15 minutes

After tub temperature: 35.6C

Felt better today. Not as cold. Can type easier today. Increased the water in tub to mostly cover my shoulders. Continue to face dunk while in tub. (Tub Note: I reuse the tub water for about a week. I alternate with epsom salts (magnesium) and cider vinegar in tub water. I use the tub as a heat sink so the tub is basically room temperature.)

Breakfast

Had third cup for coffee with breakfast of buttered eggs, salad with bitter greens, homemade dressing, kimchi and marinated yellow beets.

[​IMG]

Supplements

I don't normally supplement with nutraceuticals, I use "superfoods", but during this "reboot" I am going to supplement. The coffee is going to put pressure on my adrenals and stress my system. I am hoping the extra supplementation will reduce this stress.

Life Extension Mix Powder: 1 scoop

Life Extension Booster Softgels: 1 softgel

Life Extension Super Omega 3: 2 softgels

Life Extension Rhodiola Extract: 250mg 1 capsule

Life Extension Resverstrol: 100mg 1 capsule

Life Extension N-Acetyl Cysteine: 600mg 1 capsule

AOR Cogni-Q PQQ: 320mg 1 capsule

Exercise/Play

2.5 hours of very easy bicycling with family. Had a snack of coconut cocoa bars and raw milk after ride. Wasn't hungry, just being sociable.

[​IMG]

Spot Ice

Lunch/Dinner

Made a delicious dinner of roast lamb with rosemary and garlic. I enjoyed some of my husband's mayo on my salad. I whipped up some cauliflower with butter for a potato substitute. I had some of my husband's homemade red wine.

[​IMG]

8. Caroline Cooper

Day 4

Waking Temperature: 36.4C (Day 14 of cycle)

2c Coffee

about 1/2c raw cream

2T organic butter

Breakfast

I had a mushroom, cheese and onion omelette. My husband made some spicy sausage patties. The salad was lettuce, bitter greens and cilantro with a mustard seed dressing.

[​IMG]

After coffee and breakfast temperature: 36.6C

Tub

15 minutes

After tub temperature: 35.8C

Didn't feel very well this morning. I should have only had one glass of wine last night. I felt nausea and had a mild headache entering the tub. I had my first shivering in the tub. When I exited the tub my nausea was gone and my headache much reduced. Changed my tub water today. I am using cider vinegar for this week's water.

Exercise/Play

About 2.0 hours of very easy bicycling with family. Explored a new beautiful area around the river dike. The area is having the highest water of the year. The submerged areas has attracted an amazing diversity of birds.

Lunch/Dinner

Had a dinner of roast lamb shoulder left-overs with rosemary and garlic. I made a new salad of garden greens, the first of the year from my garden, and bitter greens and cilantro topped with mustard seed dressing. I had a side of broccoli, garlic and butter.

Supplements

Life Extension Mix Powder: 1 scoop

Life Extension Booster Softgels: 1 softgel

Life Extension Super Omega 3: 2 softgels

Life Extension Rhodiola Extract: 250mg 1 capsule

Life Extension Resverstrol: 100mg 1 capsule

Life Extension N-Acetyl Cysteine: 600mg 1 capsule

AOR Cogni-Q PQQ: 320mg 1 capsule

Spot Ice

9. Caroline Cooper

Day 5

Waking Temperature: 36.4C (Day 15 of cycle)

2c Coffee with about 1/2c raw cream and 2T organic butter.

Breakfast

I had two raw fig bars with my coffee. I am not sure if I will be able to continue with the coffee; it is disturbing my digestion. I will give it a few more days to see if my stomach will settle. I am burping up a sour stomach hours after eating. I had a spicy heart, cheese and onion omelette. I will not be supplementing today since I ate offal for breakfast. The salad was lettuce, bitter greens and cilantro with a mustard seed dressing. I was so full I didn't finish my raw milk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After coffee and breakfast temperature: 37.0C

Tub

Tub temperature about: 18.3C

15 minutes

After tub temperature: 36.5C

My tub was warmer today after changing my water yesterday. I had a few goosebumps after the tub but no shivering in the tub like yesterday. I am trying to spend a few minutes air-drying before dressing.

Dinner

I had the last of the lamb roast and drippings with leftover broccoli.

[​IMG]

After dinner temperature: 36.9C

Spot Ice

After ice temperature: 36.3C

10. Caroline Cooper

Day 6

Waking Temperature: 36.5C (Day 16 of cycle)

After coffee temperature: 36.4C

Tub

Tub temperature about: 17.2C

15 minutes

After tub temperature: 35.9C

It was easy getting into the tub today. I found myself shivering in the tub a small amount.

Breakfast

Over the years, I find my breakfast can easily look like lunch/dinner. Today I had a base of garden lettuce and bitter greens with mustard seed dressing. I poured over crumbed sausage patties and sauted onions and mushrooms. I topped with raw cheese. I wasn't very hungry so I ate on a small plate.

[​IMG]

After breakfast temperature: 36.7C

Exercise/Play

About 1.0 hours of very easy bicycling with family. I'm not timing it, just enjoying the first warm day of spring.

Lunch/Dinner

Not very hungry today but quite thirsty after my ride. I had two sausage patties with mayo on lettuce. Had two large glasses of raw milk.

[​IMG]

Spot Ice

Dinner

Couldn't say no to the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen. Shaen is making sausages! Before making sausages it is important to get the spicing right by cooking up the pork patties and trying. I enjoyed two pork patties with mayo, wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Delicious. The second picture is what re-hydration of sausage casing looks like. Kind of like tapeworms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Your meals look yummy!

12. Caroline Cooper

I have had many people ask me: "What do you eat if you don't eat any bread?" I feel I eat so well and it makes me sad that people don't know there is other ways to eat. I hope the pictures will give other people meal ideas.

13. hi Caroline, I read your blog with interest, abt the school intervening with your child's nutrition. I have had small brushes with my daughter's school, but nothing of significance YET. Tomorrow she is meeting with a new therapist (for a an unrelated issue) and I always cringe when I think of them questioning her nutrition habits. They say "you don't let your daughter have BAGELS?" and that I am giving her an eating disorder. ugggggh.

I love your posts, always informative :)

14. Caroline Cooper

Yes, the authorities can be scary. I try to be fearless but in truth the state scares the living daylights out of me, especially when it concerns my children. As citizens we normally never see the true power the state holds over our lives. We bop alone in blissful ignorance until we hit a wall. Then watch out! I am just glad I was dealing with a reasonable Social Worker.

Nevertheless, we must face our fears and work towards change.

15. Caroline Cooper

Day 7

Waking Temperature: 36.5C (Day 17 of cycle)

After coffee temperature: 36.9C

Tub

Tub temperature about: 17.2C

15 minutes

I was easy getting into the tub today. Some involuntary shivering at first. Had goosebumps after tub. Not quite sure of water temperature.

After tub temperature: 36.3C

Breakfast

More sausage patties with mayo, wrapped in lettuce leaves.

[​IMG]

After breakfast temperature: 36.6C

Change of Plans

It looks like we are going to be having a short holiday. We will be leaving on June 23, 2012 and returning on June 29, 2012. We are going for a visit on Vancouver Island so I will try to do my CT in the ocean. Our plans depend on the weather. I will try to take lots of photos and update this journal after my return.

Dinner

Had to work late today. More sausage patties with mayo, wrapped in lettuce leaves.

After dinner temperature: 37.2C

Spot Ice

Temperature after ice: 36.6C

16. Caroline Cooper

Day 8

Waking Temperature: ?C (Day 18 of cycle) Woke up at 2:00am and couldn't get back to sleep. This is unusual for me. I am having a bit of a work emergency right now. This is a bit of a irritation because I was hoping to start a holiday tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the problem solved today.

3c Coffee with about 1/2c raw cream and 2T organic butter

After coffee temperature: 36.9C

Breakfast

More sausage patties with mayo, wrapped in lettuce leaves. Hungry this morning.

After breakfast temperature: 37.3C

Tub

15 minutes

If I hadn't been doing this journal I would have likely skipped the tub this morning. Rough night and all that type of excuse. Just read Brain Gut 2. Dr Kruse has lost me in the woods. Maybe the cold water will bring up my IQ.

After tub temperature: 36.1C

Snack

2 dried figs

1c Coffee with about 1/4c raw cream

Spot Ice

Block ice: 45 minutes (lower abdomen)

Dinner

Dinner was Chuck Roast, squash with virgin olive oil, and garden salad with mustard seed dressing. How many people have had chuck roast or seven-bone roast? That is a very old-style cut of meat. It should have been tough but it wasn't.

[​IMG]

After dinner temperature: 37.4C

17. Caroline Cooper

Day 9

Waking Temperature: 36.5C (Day 19 of cycle)

3c Coffee with about 1/2c raw cream and 2T organic butter

After coffee temperature: 37.1C

Tub

15 minutes

I was feeling amount "sweaty" after the coffee this morning. I do not know if that is the thermal effect of the coffee finally kicking-in or just my normal monthly cycle. This is about as "hot" as I get.

After tub temperature: 36.2C

Breakfast

I had some omelette with cheese, mushrooms, garden chives and onions. I had some of the fresh sausages we made last night. Here is a picture of the sausages.

[​IMG]

After breakfast temperature: 36.8C

Here is a blog post about making fresh sausages:

http://eatkamloops.org/fresh-homemade-sausage/

Holiday

I have been packing for a trip today. Packing is a big job because I bring all of my own food when traveling. I have learned to do this over the years because otherwise I can get sick from eating industrial food. I will be returning on June 29, 2012. I will log my trip in this journal after my return. We are bring our bicycles and canoe. Depending on weather we are hoping to do some canoeing in the Broken Group on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Group

Trip Preparations

[​IMG]

18. Caroline Cooper

Day 10 (June 24, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.5C (Day 20 of cycle)

2c Coffee with about 1/2c raw cream and 2tsp organic butter

Breakfast

Scrambled eggs, homemade sausage and cooked yellow peppers.

Lunch/Dinner

Ate out at The Blue Fox. Omelettle with pulled pork and salad. Thought I ordered something safe but there was beans in the pork and corn in the salsa. Within half an hour I had blood blisters in my mouth.

No Cold Today

Suntanned today and slept in the van. Cool overnight. Don't know the nighttime temperature.

19. Caroline Cooper

Day 11 (June 25, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.5C (Day 21 of cycle)

1c Coffee with about 1/2c raw cream and 2tsp organic butter

Breakfast

Cold roast beef, squash salad, raw milk and raw cheese. Ate breakfast on the MV Frances Barkley on the way to Sechart Lodge, just outside the Broken Group Islands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CT: Exercise/Play

About 4.0 hours of canoeing through the inner BG. Collected oysters. Tried to stay uncovered while paddling. Had lots of goosebumps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch

Cold roast beef, squash salad, raw cheese, raw milk and homemade beef jerky.

CT: Ocean

Suntanned today and paddled around in ocean. Water felt surprising warm to me. Slept in tent. Don't know the nighttime temperature or ocean temperature.

Dinner

Beef jerky and two cooked oysters.

20. Caroline Cooper

Day 12 (June 26, 2012)

Waking Temperature: 36.5C (Day 22 of cycle)

Matcha and herb tea

Breakfast

Salad, homemade dressing, raw cheese and 1/2 can sockeye salmon. Our stove is not working properly. Had two raw oysters; much better than the cooked ones last night.

CT: Exercise/Play

About 3.0 hours of canoeing through the outer BG. Felt tired today after yesterday's hard paddle. Tried to stay uncovered while paddling. Had lots of goosebumps. Got cold and had to put a jacket on.

Lunch

Started with homemade beef jerky and raw cheese. Finally got the stove working again and ate 1/2 pound of fresh prawns. The prawns are loaded with roe.

[​IMG]

Dinner

1/2 pound of prawns in butter loaded with roe. Gave up on stove and built a "rocket stove" of stones on the beach. Ate more of the oysters raw. Very delicious meal. Some of the other kayakers were looking enviously at our meal! (They were eating packaged mac and cheese. Poor buggers.)

[​IMG]

CT: Ocean

Suntanned and did over 20 minutes in ocean today. Water felt surprising warm to me. Slept in tent. Don't know the nighttime temperature or ocean temperature. I got really cold in the night. I had a series of shivering all night long. The shivering focused on my kidney area and made my sleep difficult. I slept with my jacket on but still was cold.

After ocean temperature:
    34.5C (Yes, that is right.)

Dr Kruse's explanation for shivering fit focused on Kidney area:

http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?2221-Shivering-fit-aroung-kidney-area

Campsite Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]