1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Candlelight OLED

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by DockMD, Sep 30, 2019.

1. DockMD

DockMD That’s the reason why

I have 3 candlelight OLED desk lamps available for purchase. I am only going to sell them to one of Jack's members. I attached the product description. If you are interested, just send me a PM here. These were not easy to get and I don't plan on getting more anytime soon.

Attached Files:

2. Pawel Wypychowski

Pawel Wypychowski E.V.E. Electromagnetic Vitality Engineering

It is a far cry from being „healthy” night lamp. First of all, OLED, (like W-LED) lacks IR-A, and this part of the spectrum is biologically super important for regenerating everything, including the eye retina. You can see Alexander Wunsch's work on that. Secondly, OLED technology has a problem with durability – the organic material rapidly deteriorates when generating light. To deal with that and to extend the life of OLED, more often than not PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is employed. It means switching the OLED light on and off rapidly, regulating the time ON vs. the time OFF to set and control light intensity. It means FLICKER, which is absolutely NOT Bio-Compatible. There is nothing about PWM and flicker in the marketing materials for this lamp, which means that the “innovators” overlooked that because they do not understand the bio-compatibility of the light, or (even worse) they do understand flicker, therefore decided to hide this information. I recommend staying away from this kind of “innovators” and their products. They (and their consumers) should read and internalize more of Richard Feynman – they will know then that they “cannot create what they do not understand”.

The only reasonably bio-compatible light at night is the light from THERMAL SOURCES with a lot of IR. Thermal sources also have large inertia (lag), therefore minimal flicker, even if powered from common AC source (50-60 Hz). So save yourself $247 and buy $3 incandescent bulb (can be amber or red) as your night lamp. You will be far better than with this “innovation”.

Lahelada and JanSz like this.
  3. DockMD

And yet even Incandescent bulbs significantly suppress melatonin production. Better watch Nourish Vermont 2018 again. No light at night is “healthy” but candlelight oleds are by far better than incandescent light bulbs.

[​IMG]

^ this graph, which is from https://www.oled-info.com/researchers-develop-candlelight-style-oled-lighting-panels was in Jack's slides in Nourish Vermont 2018.

Check 42 minutes into the Nourish Vermont 2018 lecture.

"Look at the incandescents... still not so good [..] 40%... anyone in the room wanna throw 40% of their DHA and vitamin A in the toilet?"

So, all your blather about flicker and PWM and Richard Feynman not withstanding, incandescent bulbs have been shown to be far more deleterious to your circadian rhythm than candlelight OLED.

Here is the paper again:

https://spie.org/news/5070-candlelight-style-organic-leds-a-safe-lighting-source-after-dusk?SSO=1

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. YuriyDorogoy

YuriyDorogoy New Member

This 40% with incandescent lamp melatonin reduction isn't caused by bad spectrum but high light intensity (60w for example). So you can buy 15-25w incandescent lamp, or even yellow and red ones to mitigate effect of the blue-green light.

Lahelada likes this.
  5. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm a little more cautious than I used to be around red bulbs. The one I purchased was a painted red bulb but I urge folks to follow through and check near the base of the incandescent. The heat can eventually cause the paint to slowly flake off.

This is a spectrograph of what used to be my son's desk lamp(that had minor red coating flaking):
    redpaintedbulb.png

6. DockMD

There are 3 candlelight oled lamps remaining for anyone interested.