1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

cancer and metabolism

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by philip malone, Aug 30, 2017.

1. philip malone

philip malone Silver

I have been reading the book "Tripping over the truth" - basically a background on cancer research and the Warburg effect. Include is the story of Dr. Young Ko who seemingly discovered a back door way to attack
    the majority of cancer cells metabolically through the use of a chemical 3-BP (3 bromopyruvate). The approach apparently blocks an enzyme that allows cancer to use sugar rather than oxygen. All without harming healthy cells. See also: http://knowledgeofhealth.com/cancer-cured-again/
    Of course trials on this method appear to be blocked by the powers that be. Does anyone have any further knowledge/insights on this?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

[​IMG]

In a German cancer center 3BP is blamed for some deaths. So Caveat Emptor:

It turns out that the suspected cause of death is an experimental cancer drug known as 3-bromopyruvate (3-BP) that has not yet been approved for use in humans. So what happened?

What we know thus far
    The Science article, published recently (Aug 2016), reports more than I have been able to discover thus far. First, of all, we learn the treatment that is suspected of having caused the deaths of these three patients and the poisoning of at least two more, 3-BP. Second, we learn that this is a cancer drug that was developed at Johns Hopkins University but has not yet been tested in clinical trials. Then we learn:

The drug in question, 3-Bromopyruvate (3BP), has been hailed by some researchers as a potential breakthrough, but so far the only human data about its efficacy and safety are anecdotal. Many scientists say the drug should not be administered to patients except in carefully controlled experimental settings. If the link to the three deaths is confirmed, that could cloud 3BP’s commercial prospects.

German police took action on 4 August after two patients from the Netherlands and one from Belgium died shortly after undergoing treatment at the Biological Cancer Centre, run by alternative practitioner Klaus Ross in the town of Brüggen, Germany, 50 kilometers west of Düsseldorf. Two other patients had to be treated for life-threatening conditions, the prosecutor’s office said in a press release today. Police in Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium have urged other patients treated at the center to contact local health authorities; at least 26 have done so. Media reports suggest that cancer patients often sought Ross’s help after they ran out of conventional therapy options, or to avoid aggressive chemotherapy. He offered a 10-week “basic therapy” against cancer for €9900 ($11,057).

On his website, Ross touted 3BP as “currently the best compound to treat tumors.” In its press release, the prosecutor said the investigation has “reinforced” suspicions that the three deceased patients actually received the compound, as media interviews with relatives and other sources had previously suggested.

So what is 3-BP?

3-BP, DCA, and the Warburg effect
    Basically, 3-BP is a member of a class of drugs that target a unique feature of cancer cell metabolism, its reliance on glycolysis; i.e., anaerobic metabolism or metabolism not requiring oxygen. Glycolysis is the first enzymatic chemical process through which cells convert glucose to chemical energy in the form of a molecule known as ATP, and does not require oxygen. Indeed, evolutionarily speaking, it’s one of the most ancient metabolic pathways, present in anaerobic and aerobic organisms. It also does not generate very many ATP molecules per molecule of glucose, unlike the next steps, the Krebs’ citric acid cycle and oxidative phosphorylation, the latter of which occurs in the mitochondria, which generate lots of ATP but require oxygen. Basically, anaerobic metabolism is a lot less efficient a source of ATP than is aerobic metabolism.

The details of these processes are taught in basic biochemistry and biology courses the world over, but for the purposes of cancer what’s important is that cancer cells frequently utilize almost exclusively anaerobic metabolism through glycolysis and then utilization of lactic acid. This is known as the Warburg effect after Otto Warburg, who first observed it in 1928. Indeed, rapidly growing malignant cells can have rates of glycolysis up to 200 times that of normal cells. This characteristic of many (but not all) cancer cells is the basis for PET scanning, in which glucose labeled with a positron emitting atom (usually fluorine-18, to produce fluorodeoxyglucose, or FDG) is injected into the bloodstream. Where the FDG tracer accumulates indicates a high level of glycolysis, which makes it useful for detecting metabolically active cancer anywhere in the body. These days, PET scans are often combined with CT scans (PET-CT) in order to show more precisely where the areas of increased FDG uptake are located.

I’ve discussed this recently on the blog in the context of another drug designed to target glycolysis, dichloroacetate (DCA). What drew my attention to this drug initially was a widely-publicized experiment in rats carried out at the University of Alberta by Evangelos Michelakis that was touted by far too many in the press as a major breakthrough in cancer. (Hint: It’s never appropriate to do that based solely on a single animal experiment, however impressive.) Because DCA was a simple small molecule and had been used as a drug before to treat a metabolic disorder, it spawned a unique self-treatment phenomenon. Basically, a pesticide salesman named Jim Tassano bought up DCA from chemical companies in China and sold it as “Pet DCA” and later claimed to be synthesizing pharmaceutical-grade DCA. Of course, with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge, cancer patients found out about DCA, all to treat their pets, of course. Obviously, that wasn’t the intent, and it soon became obvious that cancer patients were buying DCA to treat themselves, despite the fact that at the time the drug had not been tested in humans against any cancer. Ultimately a small phase I trial was carried out adding DCA to standard of care treatment for radiation and showed, as is so frequently the case in phase I trials after promising animal studies, frustratingly equivocal results. Later, at least one Canadian family practice was selling DCA to desperate cancer patients.

DCA also spawned a whole series of conspiracy theories of the type that should be familiar to any regular reader of this blog. The most common one was along the lines of somebody is burying a cancer cure. Because DCA was out of patent and not a lot of pharmaceutical companies were interested in it, it’s not surprising that that would be the dominant conspiracy theory on the net. Today, a quick search of PubMed shows a lot of in vitro work, a couple more small phase I studies, and a single case report of a complete remission in a patient treated with DCA for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It’s also still being sold as a cancer cure.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Elements such as chlorine, fluorine and iodine are the principal antagonists of bromine. Think dielectric issues.........
    When you change Chlorine, 17Cl to Bromine 35Br you’re playing with Fire!
    When you are changing Chlorine, 17Cl to fluorine, 9F as it was done for GNF6702 you are updating chloroquine vs mefloquine.
    There is often an interplay when LDH level changes in serum vs tissue (tumor). Obligate parasite P. falciparum is using same strategy during infection and PLHD level arises but not host one.
    https://malariajournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2875-12-281

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

7. philip malone

philip malone Silver

The account in the book of Dr. Ko and 3-BP made a VERY big deal about the extreme importance of getting the dosage right. The first patient ever treated developed
    tumor lysis syndrome - a huge outpouring of ammonia. Luckily there was hepa-merz available to treat that problem. So I wonder if this man Ross in Germany really knew what he was doing. This is just a quick comment. I need to read your other links. Thanks much!

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

sunlight is safer.

Brent Patrick likes this.
  9. philip malone

philip malone Silver

THAT I do to the max. I am still asymptomatic : ) Just looking down the road. Just want to know more and more.

10. philip malone

philip malone Silver

11. philip malone

philip malone Silver

Still looking at this - wanted to save this.....
    upload_2017-9-8_13-47-51.png

12. philip malone

philip malone Silver

Reading Reality 14 again, I can see now nnEMF can alter pathways and signalling that lead to cancer. But I'm not seeing how straightening out light signals
    would reverse what's been done. Is it possible that attempting to raise mito redox may turn off the nuclear genome again? Isn't that shutting the barn door after the horse has left? What's needed is apoptosis of cancer cells as described above. I think.

13. drezy

drezy Gold

My understanding is that if you are, as you said, "asymptomatic" then you want to understand how autophagy works, right?

14. philip malone

philip malone Silver

There could be a number of ways I guess. ie per the above graphic, #1, limiting sugar, seems to have an effect per the Warburg effect. The book I just finished, "Tripping
    Over the Truth", goes into that story in detail. It appears that a ketogenic diet + other treatments like oxygen therapy may kill cancer cells while limiting damage to the
    rest. Then there is 3BP. The third mentioned is more of a preventive measure.....

15. drezy

drezy Gold

Brent Patrick and Allin like this.
  16. philip malone

philip malone Silver

drezy likes this.
  17. drezy

drezy Gold

Simply being 40 + 1year now, by default I consider myself to have a "metabolic" condition (aka my heteroplasmy isn't naturally what I'd like it to be).

I see cold as absolutely effecting abnormal cells.

Jude and labellavita like this.
  18. philip malone

philip malone Silver

I agree. Looking at all angles here. Just came in from getting some good sun. I do cold every afternoon (I'm in NY). Thanks for your comments - much
    appreciated : )

19. philip malone

philip malone Silver

Good summary from Ricky John Sharpe" :

How Central heating might cause Cancer...
    Imho: Cancer is a mitochondrial disease, not a genetic one.What does this mean?
    Mitochondria are the bacteria within a genetic cell, if the cell was the car, then the mitochondria would be the engine
    If you are white European, then these mitochondria engines are present everywhere, but mostly in brown fat and organ tissue
    Most Europeans don't have much brown fat, but European babies do. Europeans lose their brown fat somewhere between being born and being an adult because of the way they live, in modern centrally heated homes
    Getting cold not only burns brown fat, but also turns white fat, into more mobile brown fat, increasing the amount of mitochondrial density (more engines, More efficiency all over)
    Result: people with high amounts of brown fat don't feel cold when the temperate drops. It's like a highly reactive internal boiler
    Problem: central heating or a constant state of 'comfort' reduces the need for brown fat
    The result that isn't so obvious is that the new mobile highly reactive brown fat is busting with mitochondria that make cells of the brown fat ,super efficient and healthy because they're better at drawing in all the things the cell needs, like oxygen, electrons and so on
    This has a snow ball effect of goodness thanks to magnetism.
    Mitochondria are electro magnetic in nature
    When mitochondria get cold, they spin optimally at 100hz and create a magnetic charge that pull everything in towards them
    This charge also makes the water the cell more like a jelly (EZ water) which in turn pushes the mito closer together (mitochondrial density)
    Healthy mitochondria mean a health cell which lives, performs and then dies when it's meant to, not mutating into cancer, or living behind its lifespan
    Cold exposure: exercise for mitochoria
    It's important that everyone with cancer understands this process this way, because then it makes more sense of the following
    Grounding/earthing
    Avoiding foreign magnetic charges like Phones, wifi, mains electric, microwaves, radio waves
    Avoiding blue light
    Getting direct morning sun
    Getting direct midday sun
    Sleeping in darkness
    Enhancing your circadian rhythm

For more on all of these subjects, read the EZ Route series
    #coldthermogenesis
    #mitochondrialdensity
    #cancerprevention

Brent Patrick, Sheddie, Allin and 2 others like this.
  20. philip malone

philip malone Silver

My non-hodgkin's lymphoma is in my bone marrow and causing low platelet count. My doctor is starting me on some drugs to kill off nhl cells
    so my marrow/platelets can recover. I want to continue supporting redox to the best of my ability with my sun exposure, avoiding blue light,
    grounding, CT. As there are apparently no other approved approaches to limiting the effect of refined sugar, what are good resources for doing
    a ketogenic diet? Is there anything else I can do to support myself that I might be unaware of? Thank you.