1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Can we talk feet?

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by cantweight, Dec 4, 2013.

1. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I have 3 flat footed kids. I raised them as shoeless as possible and they all have feet that look like Fred Flintstone's.

Although a lot of what i have read says the flat footed-ness is a good thing....my kids complain of sore feet far too often. I am going to take them to see someone, but I am not sure of the best course of action.

Do I let them get fitted for orthodics and what ever other medical crap is advised? Is there a better route? Sports med? PT?

Id appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Martha Ray likes this.
  2. nicld

nicld Gold

Hmmm, I really have nothing except when I was having foot issue I used heel that pain shoe insoles and they helped tremendously. (www.heelthatpain.com). My oldest DD has been complaining about her feet so I got her a pair of them but she really has not used them. At least I did get her to stop wearing those cheap crappy flip flops (she's 22 now).

Do they hurt when barefoot or just when they have to wear shoes? Maybe the difference between the two is causing the foot to have to change shape so much that the muscles don't know what to conform to.

3. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

Since i work with gait and posture i will say that this is a complex matter.

Many questions and if you ask the regular guy who works in this field today they say orthotics and insoles. For me this is a easy way to make money and force someone into problems further down the road, especially with kids.

- How old are they
    - Any other illness? accidents?
    - How is their gait?
    - Do they lack 3D perspective? bumps into things...

I would say, look for someone who is asking many questions, the one who is finding the small things not just looking at the foot. A shoulder that is hurt by a car crash can be fatal to gait.

The only way i would be able to give advice is to meet them in person or nex best, a clip where they walk around, first in shoes and then barefeet.

This is a good place to look for ideas:

http://thegaitguys.tumblr.com/

4. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Peter that is exactly what i was thinking but I dont know where to look....maybe there are primal podiatrists?!?

If all that I have read about the flat foot being a positive i dont want some old school doc to force their feet to conform to something they shouldnt. I will attempt a walking clip....would really appreciate your insight :)

Nicole it is most adversely affected by their cleats which are very hard soled. But the pain is there off and on regardless of what they do at times. i wonder if it may be nerve?

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

My daughters feet transformed in high school when she got into dance. They were quite flat before, which surprised me because my arches are high. Now she has a nice arch. I was surprised feet could change so much in an older child.

6. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

I see this alot, when i look at the dancers foot i see often pure art but it can have a price. Since dance is about turn outs most of the time (classical ballet) many get into trouble around 40 years of age. The biggest thing is that when you dance you get muscles that works in a natural way... Look at many dancers and they have very defined muscles in their lowers AND butt. These muscles helps to lift the arch but also helps to create balance. This is why there is no universal solution to problems with feets, the only clue for me is that you can find errors at other parts of the body.

Remember also what Jack said many times, when someone loose energy to the environment the most delicate parts gets into trouble and moving in time and space is just one of these subjects, if you ask ME.

7. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

- I talked to many pros in this matter and i am sorry to say that many do not look under the rocks... I have no education, no diploma but i do have passion for motion. That together with my knowledge in semiconducting makes me look at a person in a different view. Today all they say is that people are broken but they will never ever say a word of how they personally think about the reason why someone is ill.

- Flat feet can be optimal IF you live in a flat landscape, many are today. The arch makes lines in the body either work good in nature or bad in man made world. I say that way to flat is something that gives a clue about muscle balance. The big BUT is always, how old are the kids because, change with insole in early years can make big, BIG errors down the road. One thing i always see today is that many have lost their sense of foot, not feeling the room (3D).

- A clip could give me something to tell about the person, better than nothing. I need to see the whole person, not just feet. If you manage to shoot something, give me a PM and i send you my mailadress.

8. cantweight

cantweight Gold

It is a tricky and complex issue. The kids are 8, 11, and 13. They had poor health (strep,lyme, fatigue, gut dysbiosis) early on and massive EMF exposure, SAD until 2009. My gut reaction to their flat feet after reading jacks blogs was that the arches had flattened in a desperate attempt to absorb more electrons. But the kids were always without shoes. I had read it was better to learn to walk barefoot and I was very ill myself so the process of putting shoes on 3 toddlers (which is much like wrestling alligators) did not appeal to me.

My 8 yr old son only complains from soccer cleats...I may just need to invest in a better quality shoe for him. His gait depends on where he is neurologically which is improving dramatically over the last couple months so we will have to wait for the dust to settle there.

My 11 yr old son is my biggest concern. He seems to cave inward, triangular shaped ankles touch medially, he also experiences occasional hip pain. Has had issues previously with arthritis and MCTD. He runs in a very stomping manner. His walking gait seems normal.

My 13 yr old daughter has a very wide forefoot and very narrow heel. I believe her pain is from muscles developing in her foot due to running and sports involvement where she had zero in prior years due to illness. She has a healthy gait and her running coach just changed her from a toe runner to a proper strike. She also has a history of bartonella which is known to cause foot pain.

I am just going to approach this like any other med issue and find a doc that thinks beyond the norm. Thank you for confirming that I wasnt over thinking this!

9. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

- This i very normal, soccer is one of many sports that makes your gait cycle alter. Often you shoot more with one foot and the other one is a stance foot. Try to see if you feel any difference. In this age, many things happens with your motion, same as your 11 years old. If you look at shoes, remember that soccer shoes are flat, for a big reason. If you put a heel lift in that shoe you put strain on your lowers, it has to be flat, so do not use insoles in them. One other things is that when you get shoes, get some that are very bendy in the toebox. Take the shoe and bend it and see if it bends easily around the part where the heads of the toes would be. If it is not flexible, it is like walkig in a skiboot.

- Did he crawl alot before walk? This is also something i see alot. Sound like a lack of dynamic power together with some lost sensibility in the foot. Alot of barefoot in nature but same rules as above with shoes. Does your kids use the upper when moving? In my part the world many do not have any arm swing. Here we do not want to look like we own the world and make ourself smaller when only walking in the lowers. When you switch to run in this case you get a stomping and humping motion.

- Tricky one, together with some of the clues from the others, i would let others instruct her in running... For me "proper stride" is a compensation for the shoe, aka heelstrider. This you could get a million versions of but my take is if you run barefeet in the woods, you would not drop on your heels. Does she have a full flexibility in the hips? Often in girls i see that they have trouble to compensate the fact that they are girls. Here we also have the biggest thing like the others... Arm swing, girls are often experts in the noble art of NOT do swing, is it social? is it fashion? i do not now...

I would say that seek some help "live" but always listen if someone is looking beyond the trouble that is visible today. Their history is nothing unique today so the ones that try to help you and them must also look at new ways. Kids are kids and i think many doctors today put them in horror because they give them a lesson and not HOPE.

Please feel free to ask more questions...

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Chaos has flat feet. However I've noticed changes in her feet the longer she's taking gymnastics. She's in gymnastics to hone her skills for balance and coordination - and she enjoys it and I find her applying what she's learned to her outside play....

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

almost all hunter gathers had flat feet........

12. akshay ortho

akshay ortho New Member

hi
    I am very heavy, my feet are sensitive, Plantar fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis, Arthritis. Nothing I have purchased before including at the Podiatrist office has been this durable and this comfortable. I know I will buy more in the future as they wear out. If you are thinking about it, don't, your feet will thank you, I know mine have by being painless. orthofeet is very comfortable.

13. Martha Ray

Martha Ray Martha Ray

Origin of Natural Foot Care with Dr. Ray McClanahan
    https://www.correcttoes.com/foot-help/video-library/lectures-studies/#contentArea

Rebuild Natural Foot Health

A Correct Toes in-service presented to Egoscue Portland 12/6/2012 4 Videos

And since Egoscue bodywork has fixed every pain I've used it for you might try these:
    Egoscue - Exercises for Foot and Ankle Pain
    by The Egoscue Clinic of Austin

I have high arches and Iit was a process to transition to zero drop shoes but I am glad I did.

Please let me know what Y'all think..