1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Can we get a ranking of grains?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jennie747, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jennie747

Jennie747 New Member

It's been tough getting my family members to give up all grains. Are there things I can transition them to that are better than wheat, while I move them towards optimal?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

They all suck and are not fit for human consumption.......any questions?

3. vwaggs

vwaggs New Member

The book Wheat Belly really helped me see how each grain is harmful to us. Love that book!

4. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

GRAINS ARE BAD! ALL BAD! THERE ARE NO SAFE GRAINS!

I understand but it is really as bad as Dr. K writes.

Grains are crack for the body. They work on the opiate receptors of the brain.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/244237-Wheat-is-an-Opiate

Your family will resist. You have a tribe of addicts. I can highly sympathize as I struggle also. It is a common addiction that can be as strong as an addiction to heroin but one can wean themselves off of them. They are such a "normal" part of modern life that people cannot understand how bad they are.

Go to Wheat Belly website and read.

Best of luck. It will be difficult. Learning to substitute things like coconut flour and nut flours for your family should help. There are some paleo mom blogs out there that address this subject.

Maybe someone can remix this so it says wheat. Maybe Dr. K can make one. ;)

[video][video=youtube_share;VCDnR6Px-co]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDnR6Px-co[/video][/video]

5. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

From the comment section of Jack's latest blog, especially the last paragraph:

Bob Smith Says:

June 17th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

@Paul- That’s interesting about YAP1. It provides a pathway from mRNA to nuclear DNA. Assessed, it helps answer one of many “how” questions about cancer. Other pathways are better for answering “Why”.

Recently a massive meta study showed what anyone watching already knew. It showed that people with type 2 diabetes are between 2 and 5 times as likely to have 24 of the 25 studied major types of cancer than the general population, a population which includes a large segment of type 2 diabetics.

Ballparked, the cancer incidence among type 2 diabetics is roughly 3.5 times as great as the cancer incidence among non-type 2 diabetics. That, my friends, is a smoking gun. If you want to develop cancer you should first try and develop type 2 diabetes. The rest should take care of itself.

Type 2 diabetes is largely the result of consuming volatile sugars along with proteins, flavonoids and opiates from foods like wheat. The pathways are pretty well nailed down. Sugar grows intestinal microorganisms. Opiates dull the immune system while, at the same time, mimicking the proteins displayed by the microorganisms. The immune system makes the intestinal walls porous. The partially digested opiates, sugars, flavonoids and proteins flow into the bloodstream, and wreck havoc all over the body.

Type 2 diabetes is characterized by insulin resistance. Opiates from wheat and other plant foods mimic insulin. They clog up insulin receptors, and prevent cells from consuming blood glucose. Cells starve. The blood increasingly fills with glucose, and elicits ever higher levels of insulin.

Cancer represents portions of the body ceasing their normal toil. Cells cease to consume food for the performance of specialized tasks, and instead consume food for the creation of useless tissue. Human cells perform this transformation when insulin resistance causes them to abandon their normal diet of glucose.

Cells are protected from assault by tissue transglutaminase (TTG), a protein in the extracellular matrix (ECM). Ingested flavonoids attack and destroy tissue transglutaminase, leaving cells unprotected. Unprotected cells, starved by insulin resistance, start importing and burning flavonoids for fuel. Unfortunately flavonoids do not lend themselves well to being burned for energy.

Glutamate is the most commonly consumed flavonoid. Glutamate is so essential to cancer transformation that many cancers produce their own glutamate. Wheat is roughly 1/4 glutamate.

PKM2 is a catalyst which tells cells why to burn fuel …..whether to burn it for energy or for the creation of tissue. As shown above type 2 diabetes fills the blood with glucose and makes cells starve for glucose. The glucose gradient across outer cell walls causes cells to redirect the aggregation of PKM2. The insulin-resistance form of PKM2 causes cells to start creating tissue.

Cells start creating randomly mutated tissue, combining human DNA with whatever proteins happen to be hanging around in the cytosol. From this point evolution takes over. In order to survive, mutated cells must feed themselves, reproduce, and avoid the body’s immune system. Unsuccessful cancer cells die. Successful cancer cells survive and form tumors.

In a nutshell …..When human cells use fuel for energy, they use mitochondria to make ATP. Then they burn the ATP. When cancer cells use glucose to create tissue, they ferment it directly. The cancer transformation starts with human cells in a glucose-charged environment. Because of insulin resistance the human cells cannot use the glucose. The cancer transformation replaces human cells with cells which can use the glucose.

There are very few differences in the “why” pathways from one type of cancer to another. For avoiding cancer our challenge is to end the insulin resistance and the glucose buildup. We do this by eliminating opiates from foods like grassy grains, dairy and legumes, eliminating flavonoids like glutamate and aspartate, eliminating fructose, and boosting our intake of meat and fats.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

omg!!! Best description ever!!!!

7. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

That is a really tough question. I am a Weston A Price Foundation member and most members believe that grains if properly prepared by fermenting, sprouting and fleshly grinding makes grains safe, for at least for some people. There is also a sub-sect of WAPF members that are on the SCD/GAPS or modified paleo diet
    which do not consume any grains or grain products. I am one of these people. Grains are poisonous and addictive for me. Furthermore, I haven't found many "safe starches" either; they all make me "sick" sooner or later.

We are all different but everyone seems to benefit from getting off the industrial food and eating nourishing traditional whole foods. Focus on whole foods from a quality source, first. Your family will benefit from these changes.

In my family 50% need the SCD/GAPS diet and 50% do not. I have also noticed that the 50% that doesn't need the diet seems to have higher carbohydrate need and do well on a higher carbohydrate diet.

For the 50% that need the SCD/GAPS diet:

1. I use nuts that I grind into flour for bread-like or cake-like products. I do not recommend buying nut flour because it is likely rancid and of poor quality. Shelled nuts should be stored in the freezer. WAPF recommends that you soak and dry your nuts before consumption. I use nuts for special occasions; I find them hard to digest even if soaked and dried prior to preparation. Nuts make delicious cooked or raw cakes and cookies. Nuts are a very small part of our diet.

2. I do not use coconut flour. It is a strange industrial product and I do not understand the processing. I use coconut manna or creamed coconut which comes from the whole coconut meat. Coconut cream makes delicious raw desserts.

For the 50% that doesn't need the SCD/GAPS diet:

1. My husband cooks up organic brown basmati rice.

2. Potatoes are a good source of starch for the ones that can tolerate nightshade plants.

3. Yams and sweet potatoes are good additions for most people.

4. For special occasion eat "illegal" foods out of the house.

Good luck with your transition. Over the years, my husband has really noticed the benefits of eating this way. Experience having a healthy family is the best teacher.

8. Jennie747

Jennie747 New Member

Cereal is the biggest thing here. I rarely buy it anymore but sometimes give in to begging. Wondered if something oat based was maybe better than wheat based. Guess not! LOL

9. thyme

thyme New Member

cereal: Toast big coconut flakes/chips to very light brown. Put in bowl. Add fruit, if eating. Add milk or coconut milk, as per your diet. Enjoy!!

as for general grains...they might all suck, but I'm a non-custodial step-parent and radically changing the children's diet would be a pointless disaster, so I choose to use the lesser evils when needed. When the children are here, we eat potatoes with dinner most nights, but soaked white rice (or rice noodles, if we're coming to a rare pasta crisis) on enough other nights that they don't really notice that we're not eating wheat. And, since I live in Scotland, I have easy access to non-GE, uncontaminated, traditionally kiln dried and single-milled oats, so I make oatcakes when the kids are here so they don't notice (as much) the absolute lack of toast and bread and veg oils, etc.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

thyme.....sorry I disagree. You can feed a kid bacon and eggs without the crazy parent going ballistic.

11. Caroline Cooper

Gee, I have never faced a problem like that. I think Dr Kruse has a point about feeding the children eggs and some sort of meat product. Most men response positively to a high meat(protein and fat) focused diet. It's usually women that fight this change because of compulsive dieting and dieting propaganda.

If you are trying to get off the grains and want a grain-like substitute for breakfast cereals, take a look at this recipe called Soaked and Dried Nut Granola
    . These are some of my very old recipes that I used during my family's transition to more nourishing whole foods. There is a lot of preparation to make the granola but you could double or triple the recipe. Most people will not notice the difference:

http://eatkamloops.org/nourishing-traditional-travel-foods/

12. vlynnb

vlynnb Gold

I think Dr. Kruse does not recommend any nuts other than macadamias.

13. thyme

thyme New Member

oh, I feed the kids eggs & sausage & avocados & meats and all the rest...but when I have them for one week every four months, and the 12 year old is already stressed over leaving her mother & her home & her television & her country & coming to my kitchen for only one week every four months or so, and she pushes her eggs & sausages around on the plate and then bursts into tears as soon as I've left the house because she likes me and doesn't want to hurt my feelings but she hates eggs and sausages and misses her toast and....my priority, in this situation, is to make her feel welcome and at home for the short stays in which we are lucky enough to have her. A small homemade oatcake with cheese makes the egg & bacon go down and keeps things familiar enough that food doesn't add to her alienation. Her diet with her custodial parent isn't going to change. Her older sister chooses to eat the way we do; she might, one day, or she might not. I'm not entering a power-struggle over it.

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

there are some others......but I am measured with my nut recs based up on testing.....many of my consult people hear that often.....sometimes nuts are needed.

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh my. This is tough. It's bad enough for me, when parents and siblings are addicted to grains and won't consider giving them up. At least they are adults.

I'm glad the older sister has seen the benefits in eating right. Perhaps her influence will save her sister. In your situation you can only be a good example. At least your children are seeing another way of eating. They will be able to see that it is a viable option.

16. vlynnb

vlynnb Gold

thyme, I admire how you are handling the situation. It is better to not alienate her and just let her know how you eat but that you are sensitive to her need to feel more comfortable and have food that is more familiar and favorable to her when she is there so seldom.

I have a somewhat similar problem with my grandchildren who live in my basement. Their parents were highly ranked college athletes and SIL is a coach and they are very health conscious, they eat a healthy diet according to CW, only allowing sweets etc. on weekends and special occasions for the most part. The other grandmother (who has lupus( wants to be known as the grandmother who always brings donuts, a dozen at a time for four children. My daughter tosses what is left after grandma leaves. I have a good relationship with all three but one of them told me I was not like other grandmas because I don't bake cookies! Made me a little sad that that was the image of what a grandma does for her grandchildren (my image in the past too). Guess I will have to try some paleo cookies at least, though with my probable AI there are not many I could eat with them. I do serve them pancakes for sleep overs since that is a long standing tradition but I also serve eggs and a breakfast meat at least. It looks like this will be a slow process to convince family what is best for them. I hope to be known as the grandma who learned how to regain her health and helped them to learn.

17. Caroline Cooper

Hi Thyme,

Family and society pressures are a bugger. I wish we didn't live in such a toxic food environment. The pressure is bad for adults let alone children. So what can a mother or step-mother do? I guess, we have our love and respect for our children's evolving choices. (Autonomy is very important in my family.) We can do the best job we can do within the limitations the world gives us.

From my humble opinion homemade oatcakes with eggs and bacon sounds pretty good to me! Just compared that breakfast to corn flakes, skimmed milk and half a grapefruit with sugar on top. Or what about a Coke, twinkie and a bag of salt-and-vinegar chips!

Thyme, you are doing a great job within the limitations given by your situation. Give yourself a pat on the back and a hug to the lucky child that has you as a step-parent.

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you really want to know how I feel about grains......download the song So Happy by Theory of Deadman listen once then look at the lyrics.......that about covers it.

19. kathylu

kathylu Gold

If you are struggling with having removed grains from your diet, try baking with coconut flour. I tend to use coconut flour for a treat a couple times per week and I make goodies for my 5 year old, especially to take to school so he doesn't feel deprived. Coconut flour is finely ground, dried, defatted coconut meat. It's a little high in fiber, which is not a bad thing for me as it increases regularity. There are lots of great recipes on the web, or you can get a copy of Bruce Fife's "Cooking with Coconut Flour". There's absolutely no reason to miss grains anymore...

From the Tropical Traditions website:

Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour is fiber from the coconut meat after most of the oil has been extracted to make Virgin Coconut Oil. It is certified organic, unsweetened, and has not been treated with sulfites. Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour is high in dietary fiber and protein, and is gluten-free. It has more fiber than gluten-based grains. Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour can be added to standard wheat-based recipes to add extra fiber, by substituting 10-30% of the grain-based flour with our coconut flour. Some recipes, such as muffins and quick breads, can be accomplished with 100% Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour and therefore be 100% gluten-free! (See some free recipes below.) Since organic coconut flour contains natural sugar from the coconut meat, baked goods need less sugar added. The organic coconut flour has a mildly sweet coconut taste!

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Banana Muffins recipe photoTropical Traditions organic coconut flour also contains over 19% non-gluten protein! Therefore, it makes an excellent addition to shakes and smoothies where fiber and protein are needed. Or simply dissolve a spoonful in water as a high-fiber drink with a coconut flavor! This organic coconut flour is very versatile and very tasty. Sprinkle it over your favorite dishes to add a wonderful coconut flavor, use it as a thickener in soups and sauces - the possibilities are endless!

20. Caroline Cooper

Hi Dr Kruse,

You are so funny! I couldn't agree with you more about grains. I am glad they are out of my life too.

BUT remember who you are. If anyone in the world can have a different opinion from society, it is you. First, you are a man and a Neurosurgeon at that. I have never been on Facebook but it sounds like you have taken a kicking at times for your views.

As a woman, wife and mother, I just don't have the "power" you have to go my own way. Autonomy is important in my household but I am in a sea of community and sometimes the fist of the state will come down on miscreants like me. Read this a weep and the stupidity that can come out of current wisdom:

http://eatkamloops.org/funny-troubles/