1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Can we cause gluten intolerance in our kids?

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by trishalinn@gmail.com, Aug 10, 2012.

1. So we have some celiac disease in my family, both my grandma and uncle have it. I have in the last few months cut my kids who are 8 and 3 off of gluten and sugar. More changes are in the works, but we are cutting things gradually - those are pretty huge changes for my boys anyhow. My twin 14 month olds I'm not allowing any gluten either and this is causing one of my aunts great distress. She has apparently read that not allowing them to eat gluten from a lung age will cause gluten intolerance. Now, I don't know whether or not this is true and it really doesn't matter that much because I am still resolved to cut this out of my families diet. I am curious whether it is true though, just so I k ow how to respond. I have already told her, I don't believe it is a healthy substance for people to eat EVEN if they aren't gluten intolerant. She recently had the blood tests done for celiac disease and she is quite excited that she is all clear to keep eating gluten and I guess she doesn't want my kids to miss out on cake and pie and pizza and Mac and cheese. You know, the healthy American way of eating (ha!).

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

eating gluten causes gluten intolerance. If you don't eat it - no problems. as for cookies, cakes, pie, pizza etc - they're your kids, she needs to respect how your raising them.

If she keeps pushing the issue give her a copy of the paleo answer, ask her to read it - she'll get the picture, as cordain explains why grains, legumes, soy etc are bad for us.

the real deal is - these are you kids - rasie them how you want them raised, they are not your aunts childeren - in the end they'll be healtier than their peers.

ETA: if you have to give treats/desserts - find things that are complementary to how you eat.

fresh berries/fruit in season w/HWC

kids don't need candy or cake - last weekend we went to a 4yo bday party - neither of our kids had cake. Our frend did make macarones for them - and they each had 1. While not ideal - at least they participated. The 4yo now ask if something has wheat, and attempts to avoid eating it.

3. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

+1000 This is how we flipped that epigenetic switch isn't it?

and +1000 to what Gretchen said about these being YOUR children. When my children don't like a choice I've made for them, I simply tell them (after explaining why I made the choice) that I am responsible for their health and I MUST do what I believe is right, regardless of what others say. When they become adults they can make their own choices.

4. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

After my 2nd was diagnosed celiac at age 5 (while I was pregnant with #4), I didn't allow #4 to eat any gluten, except she had exposure through breastmilk until I cut gluten completely myself when she was 9 months old. He had allready been diagnosed with Hashi's at age 3.5. She obviously has not developped celiac, however, she did develop Hashi's at the same age he did (3). I'm pretty confident full blown celiac is in the cards for her should she start eating gluten. In fact I'm nervous because I'm not as rigid about cross-contamination issues with her or my other two as with her brother.

That all said, my in-laws used to be really distressed for the other children in my house having to endure eating gluten free all the time (the house is gluten free) just because one child has an issue... They blamed me of course, for imposing such a henous rule. But, 4 years have passed, and they have really come around. At least they respect the reason for the rule, not that any of them ever stopped eating gluten or anything lol!! My kid ws the 1st on either side of the family to get the diagnosis. Since then, I have a cousin and his mother (my aunt) diagnosed. But still nobody else wants to see the writing on the wall. Not my sister or my brother are concerned for their children... sigh...

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'd say the human species is gluten intolerant. We don't become it. We are. No matter if you eat it or not.

6. NWgirl

NWgirl New Member

Both my daughters have the celiac gene. One has just one of the genes and the other (they are fraternal twins) has BOTH of the genes. However the twin that has only the one celiac gene actually developed celiac disease at 15 years old. The other twin (with two genes) does not have it (yet).

My point is, the genes don't always switch on and sometimes it takes an illness or stress to turn them on. The girl that got celiac had mono and we suspect that illness switched on the gene.

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

If you read Bill Davis (Wheatbelly) or many others in paleo land, they'd agree with that. And Davis points out repeatedly that our current testing for celiac is only ONE way to pick up major issues with gluten. He has worked with people who had completely incapacitating symptoms that resolved with gluten elimination but tested negative for celiac. I think it's pretty clear that not consuming gluten is required for optimal growth and development for all human beings.

8. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I tested negative for celiac, several times. However, I developed debilitating arthritis that cleared up completely with grain elimination. So, I'm certainly gluten/gliadin intolerant no matter what the blood tests show. Just sayin'.

9. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

There is a subtlety of the question that doesn't seem to be addressed directly. Most of us agree gluten is bad overall. The question is does avoiding it completely at a young age create a greater sensitivity. I would like to know this too. It doesn't mean I will let my kid et it more, I just want to know th truth.

10. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

My guess would be that avoiding it completely in childhood would mean that a person would not develop the symptoms (many of which become subtle, underground and not-apparently-linked-to-food) that go along with gluten consumption. In other words, creating a stronger, more optimal foundation of health. However, if that person started to eat gluten later in life, they may actually appear more 'sensitive' to it because the symptoms hadn't gone underground. So given what it does to gut health (make it more leaky), someone who consumes gluten earlier in life will have a longer time under their belt creating gut leakiness. They may not show symptoms, but the more years you pound your body with bad stuff, the more likely you are going to reap that later. But that's just my theory.

I also think it's pretty clear that some people are, because of their own genetics/epigenetics, more sensitive than others and will experience a much more obvious and greater negative effect immediately and in the long term. The problem is, I don't think we can easily tell where we/our children fall along that spectrum.

11. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

Interesting Lauren!

12. Joann

Joann New Member

I think the bottom line with gluten is that it causes inflammation whether or not a person gets gut symptoms.