1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Cacao and caffeine sensitivity during ketosis

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Kai-Robin, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Kai-Robin

Kai-Robin New Member

Anyone else here that have experienced that their sensitivity to caffeine and cacao increases during ketosis ?

I cannot drink much of coffee or eat/drink much cacaco in ketosis before I crash and feel bad. I can even feel 2-3 oz of coffee doing a great effect.

This is not the case when I eat more carbs. Anyone experiencing the same ?

Martina likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

agree.....

Kai-Robin likes this.
  3. Kai-Robin

Kai-Robin New Member

Do you have any thoughts or idea what might be the cause ?

Is the brain in general more nutrient/stimulant sensitive in ketosis ?

I can also feel it with alcohol, can some times make me very tired after of a cuple glasses of vine..

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Where does coffee and chocolate grow? Are mammals in ketosis at these times seasonally. Are you sure you're getting what I am teaching?

Kai-Robin and Martina like this.
  5. Kai-Robin

Kai-Robin New Member

I am nowhere near to have read everything you have written jack. I try to read everyday.

I've understood the consept of eating locally and seasonaly. Normally mammals is not in ketosis in summer, but can they be? absolutely.. if a mammal didnt eat for a day or two or only ate nuts and avocados a few days that would happen.

But I wondered if you had a biochemical/physical explanation to effects of caffeine in ketosis vs non-ketosis.

6. Jenelle

Jenelle Gold

I have experienced what you describe, both with coffee and alcohol.

I have seen MANY people say they've become "lightweights" or "cheap drunks" on a ketogenic diet, as well. In fact I would go so far as to say it's the norm.

Re: the caffeine ~ my theory has always been that the ketones have such a (good) stimulating effect on my brain ... the caffeine can just become too much stimulation on top of it. It's no longer "needed" in the same quantity (or at all) ... but we continue to want to drink it, out of habit mostly, I think.

But this discussion led me to do some poking around. I found several sites saying caffeine increases ketone production. Here's the summary of one study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28177691/

Perhaps we have a sweet spot with ketones. Some is good ... more is not *necessarily* better? In any case, the body is pretty smart ~ and I try to listen to it. Considering that Dr. Kruse doesn't recommend coffee at all for the vast majority (or all?) of people... I'd say you've found yourself in a good place. :)

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

caffeine does not exist in nature by itself. It is also linked to a plant, therefore, it is linked to photosynthesis and not biochemistry as a first affector.

Alex97232 and Jenelle like this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

and once you read CPC 33........

Then you have this:

Electricity is the plasma of the universe that can help light transmit both energy and information. For this reason, living quantum systems chose electricity as the means, mode, and mechanism of life. People forget mitochondria used to bacteria and they are the most amazing electric organelles in a cell. Across one of the mitochondria's membranes that is 6 microns wide, mitochondria can generate a spark that has an equivalent power of 30 million volts. That is more than a bolt of lightning. One cell has 3600-10,000 of them. Is it any wonder why living cells can do astronomical things? We are beings of light who change that light to electricity to control electrons and protons in our cells. Besides electrical engineering theory of the transmission of messages, there is a larger field of artificial intelligence and cybernetics who now uses electricity in novel ways. These industries include not only the study of language but the study of messages as a means of controlling machinery and society, the development of computing machines and other such automata, certain reflections upon psychology and the nervous system, and a tentative new theory of scientific method. Of course, bacteria are electric because the universe is based around this plasma in space. It is not an empty vacuum, it is teaming with currents of electricity. http://news.berkeley.edu/2018/09/12/gut-bacterias-shocking-secret-they-produce-electricity/

Alex97232, drezy and JanSz like this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

11. Jenelle

Jenelle Gold

Yes, good point. The study I found was on "caffeine" NOT coffee or chocolate.