1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

buy local to get the correct light information in your food?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by taiyang, Mar 30, 2018.

1. taiyang

taiyang New Member

1. Am i correct in assuming that one should optimally only consume local meat/seafood/dairy/vegetables/fruits in order to get the correct light information to your mitochondria?
    2. does anyone on this forum do that? if yes, where do you live and what sorts of local food do you eat in the winter?

when i lived in taiwan, i dropped a lot of weight. i pretty much ate everything locally sourced. i ate a lot of seafood that was caught around the island, and produce in taiwan is grown during all four seasons. when we went to traditional markets, fish were swimming in tubs and chickens were live in cages. now here in new jersey, the only thing i get locally sourced in winter is maybe some meat, eggs, and cheese from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. There are no vegetables or fruit growing here after frost. my long-lived grandparents who lived nearby did eat a lot of canned and frozen fruits and vegetables grown on their farm. i wonder if the fact that that produce was grown in their environment helped keep them healthy even though they were eating it out of season.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Or grow it yourself.

drezy likes this.
  3. taiyang

taiyang New Member

i can get produce in the summer starting late june through october from my father's farm about 10 minutes away, but how about the winter months here in new jersey when there is no fresh produce? should i only eat fish, nuts, dairy, and meat from nearby farms for 6 months?

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

You want live fish go here:

http://www.kammanfoods.com/123456/en/

upload_2018-3-30_18-4-41.png

5. taiyang

taiyang New Member

i'm in the philly area, so that is too north for me, but maybe i can try the chinese supermarkets my husband and i go to nearby. they had some fish swimming around. my local shoprite had some live lobsters, but i don't think they were harvested off the nj coast. jan, what do you eat in the winter months? have you ever been overweight?

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Before I eat I step on scale.
    Always fighting extra weight.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you need a trip south.

drezy likes this.
  8. taiyang

taiyang New Member

jan, did you ever have to fight a lot off- like 30 plus pounds? or were you always on the thin side???

9. Inger

Inger Silver

Taiyang, I can live out of local food where I live, and I live in the north. I get my own oysters from the sea that I pick my self, and I get local lamb, raw cheeses, eggs and seafood too. I do buy grassfed beef and beef fat from southern Germany, but still it is from the same coutry ;) But if I wanted, I could easily live off just from what I get around the corner. So it is very possible, even if I do not do it 100%... as I add some nuts, greens and veggies in summer etc.
    I do feel the best tho, when I do it!

Nothing feels better than eating a bunch of oysters on the beach or by the lake.. naked.. with some wild greens... and then some wild berries or rosehips to end the meal... :)
    That is for me the best healing.

drezy likes this.
  10. taiyang

taiyang New Member

Hi Inger, so in the winter in Germany you eat no produce at all? how do you prepare the oysters?

11. Inger

Inger Silver

Well, as I said I am not always 100% so I sometimes do organic raw nuts... and occasionally some salad leaves or so or a cheat with dark chocolate! (which does feel a little weird!). But most days I eat 100% carnivore - all winter, that is what feels the best and what I know is best for me here. I also sometime use organic balsamic vinegar. That is not ideal either but I do love it over my carpaccio with olive oil... so those are my "cheats". Oh, another cheat is whipped egg yolk with less than 1/2 teaspoon raw honey and lots of butter whipped into a egg/butter cream..:rolleyes:. this is a real cheat..lol I do not cheat with these often in winter though. But I can totally leave them out and eat 100% from here, that is very practically possible!

I just eat the oysters raw and plain, or use a little fresh lemon squeezed over them. Sometimes Crystal Sauce ;)

taiyang and drezy like this.
  12. taiyang

taiyang New Member

"Oh, another cheat is whipped egg yolk with less than 1/2 teaspoon raw honey and lots of butter whipped into a egg/butter cream..:rolleyes:. this is a real cheat..lol"
    the raw whipped egg yolk with honey sounds like a traditional russian food my mom used to have us eat as kids called 'gawgl mawgl'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogel_mogel
    My haplotype is U4a, so this food really suits me as its origin seems to be in line with the origin of my haplotype.
    i think we used the whole egg, though (not sure seeing that the traditional recipe only uses yolks). my mom used to put raw egg in our morning hot cereal (kasha) as well. she never did buy into low fat, no sun, tylenol, artificial sugar etc. that is the advantage of having a mom who stuck to the ways of the old country in many things.

i think i need to eat 100% carnivore (except for maybe some celery, peppers, romaine??) as well until my brother/father start to harvest their produce on the family farm nearby. i think we will be picking zucchini and cucumbers first (end of june). tomatoes don't come until around july 4. a little further south of them they will buy some other freshly grown produce i can add in. i am excited to try this way of eating!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  13. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

Been doing strict seasonal winter diet here in Ontario Canada. I got grass fed beef and Lamb farmers and Im going to scout out a new pig farmer that does wild boar and a few heritage breeds. I do local GF butter, cheese, ghee, Seafood is plentifull and easy to get. I eat every dam variety of mushrooms and seaweed ive been able to get my hands on. The only cheats have been hazle nuts which do grow at my lattitude and onions with my Liver.

taiyang and drezy like this.
  14. drezy

drezy Gold

Bingo!

Below is a picture of the only fruit I will be eating since last Spring/Summer unless pests get to it. I also have some fig trees and some natural grapes. I'm fencing them all in now too because:
    1. I'm done sharing with the D-bag deer that took half my fruit last year
    2. My fenced in orchard will double as a nudist haven where one can air one's junk, jump in an outdoor cold tub, and start a pit fire for extra IR
    I also grow a whole bunch of spicy peppers and almost all of the herbs I use in sausage making. @JanSz knows why I'm increasing my pepper crop this year and doc has alluded to it in the past.

@Inger is a master in this domain. My own internal meme is: See Inger Be Inger.

I'm studying how to grow turmeric roots and will prep a bed for turmeric and ginger this year.

On a side note: Now that I'm growing more produce the full gravity of some of the history I've read hits me. When the Ancient Greek city states would battle the victor would often ride in and cut all fig trees to the ground in opposing cities. Certainly far more gruesome acts can occur in war, but until you've developed even a little orchard like me it's hard to understand how devastating and demoralizing that act would be.

peaches.png

Meli, Mayuri and JanSz like this.
  15. taiyang

taiyang New Member

i want to make a t shirt with See Inger Be Inger to remind me of my new credo;). we have yummy figs, raspberries, and strawberries growing in my yard here in south jersey that i eat over the summer. even then i go easy on them, tho.

drezy likes this.
  16. drezy

drezy Gold

From personal experience, make it your mantra and you'll only improve.

Allin and taiyang like this.
  17. Theka

Theka Gold

In locations with 4 seasons, canned dried or otherwise preserved food would be a mismatch but is it a degree better than tropical foods? I know that canned foods only go back to Napoleon's time. It was developed to feed the army during a campaign which isn't much of an endorsement. But even chilis home-grown and dried or smoked would be a mismatch in winter/early Spring. What about other herbs and spices? Turmeric needs summer temps to germinate and then a long growing season. How strictly should we eat locally and seasonally?

drezy and taiyang like this.
  18. Nigel Clack

Nigel Clack New Member

Also is it preferable to eat local and seasonal over organic which may not be local?

taiyang likes this.
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

organic is a label that no longer holds any water for me.

JanSz and drezy like this.
  20. Joseph Thia

Joseph Thia Aspiring Mitochondriac

If I understand correctly, it is because of the water that is used to grow the organic produce.