1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Butters' Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Butters, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Much seafood is a problem so I think about omega-3 supplementation. It is cheaper too.
    My mum noticed I have a sour or acidic breath sometimes. Could it be that I am in ketosis? I am drinking much coffee too, could also be the stomach acid production...
    By the way I now know I have to cut back on coffee as well after reading a few chapters of "Mastering Leptin".

2. Butters

Butters New Member

I noticed my hands and arms are cold most of the time, but I'm not feeling cold. Should my hands and arms are warm as well normaly?

3. nicld

nicld Gold

I notice that I get cold hands and feet too but it is winter here so that is normal for me. My feet can be so cold when I go to bed but at some point in the night get so hot that I have to have them uncovered.

For some reason, I am not wanting as much coffee as I used to. I use to have to have one big cup every morning on my way to work, now, I am fine with a small cup of sugar free pumpkin cappuccino but I know I need to cut this out too. Might try making some bullet proof hot chocolate. I just need something hot on my way to work.

4. nicld

nicld Gold

I use an inexpensive meat thermometer to measure the water temp and then I got an infrared thermometer gun from amazon to check the skin temp.

5. Butters

Butters New Member

Dr. Kruse spoke about the warm fishermen's hands in one blog post. Most people I know have warm hands, but also wearing more clothes than me. Feet are not so cold in the daytime but got cold at night before bed the last days. But I also have to mention, that I've been sitting in front of the window just under my cover till 0-2pm for the last week.

I really think about buying that thermometer gun. For now after christmas, I ordered some books and one of them is the "Epi Paleo Rx" yay :)
    I also talked about my living conditions in the past, that will change too. In 2-3 months I have to search for a new flat/room etc. because my mates and I moving out. Best would be a flat alone for me, but flats in Potsdam are so expensive, it is not realistic. I will write about this.

So christmas hasn't weakened me like last year. My consume went up, but highest carb intake was yesterday with about 100g from chocolate and vegetables. I could prevent a carb binge, because "it's christmas". I think it wouldn't be the worst thing, because I have many things to work on and shouldn't try to work on all things at the same time. The stress will be too high and I will fail at nearly all of them - that's what the past tells me. But if I can dodge bullets I try. Books like "Mastering Leptin" are motivating too and I think when I read Dr. Kruse's book more things will change.
    I realised that eating too much too late at night is bad for my sleep and the last days I really felt leptin rise after dinner and make me feeling full until bedtime. I only eat after dinner, because I am sitting in front of my computer and watching films. But it is strange, that in these times I feel some kind of overall motivation I don't feel in the daytime. Motivation to do something...It happend also in the past, when I ate many carbs/did carb-backloads.

That are my problems that bother me mostly - a lack of motivation over the daytime, somehow. I know it would go away with carbs but I don't want to eat much of them especially in the winter. Can't explain the motivation thing but other people don't seem to have this problem. Anyway I think cold resistence is improving - slowly but I think it is going forward. I think about "anbaden" on 1st of january 2014. There is a local event near my hometown:

http://www.nnz-online.de/news/news_lang.php?ArtNr=141091

But the hives are making me thinking about wether it is a good idea to go on with the cold showers/bath. I really want, but don't know if I should. The fact it is 0°C outside and I can go out with just a T-shirt and a opened coat is motivating me to go on...

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Butters, I think your lack of daytime motivation has to do with a lack of sunshine. I have a lot more winter sun than you, but on cloudy days I really slump. I also eat more to try to compensate.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Alex .... are you having a BAB within 30 minutes of rising? and going outside to look at the sun?

Maybe - are you too concerned about IF for right now?

This is all about resetting the rolex in your brain ...... getting your cortisol on track etc.etc.

Please re read the leptin RX and see if you have missed something.......

8. Butters

Butters New Member

Hi caroline.
    What do you mean with BAB? Breakfast after bed? Today I had one - 45min after rising.
    Maybe I should reintegrate breakfast, maybe it is my ego that don't want me to have breakfast because I am not fat blabla... :) and should be leptin sensitive. I have been IFing for more than a year and it's just that I see breakfast as weakness.
    I should give it a try I think. Today I also had no problems to go 8+ hours after breakfast at 10am without eating.

I bought almonds yesterday, because they are very delicious and fill me up very quickly. Today I googled the fatty acids in almonds and saw it has only omega-6 acids, but macadamia nuts have nearly zero. So maybe when I want nuts I take these, because they are neutral.

9. Hope

Hope Gold

BAB = big a** breakfast, substitute ** with ss.

10. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Almonds are very high in omega-6 and thus can be inflammatory. In my case, just a few ounces of almonds will cause my fingers to inflame.

11. Butters

Butters New Member

Hm... ;)
    What should it look like? Today I ate 250-300g chickenbreast+one half carrot fried in butter. Should be 55-70g of protein and I think same amount of fat.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Maybe you could commit to epi paleo and see how you go? Chicken isn't the best.

So your routine should be -
    Get up - go outside and look at the sun
    Have a BAB within 30 minutes of rising.
    No snacking
    Leave at least 4 hours between meals and eat at least 4 hours before bed

If you aren't very hungry for lunch - have a BPC..... That is a great way to get in lots of good fat.

Do you spend the whole evening in front of your computer?

13. Butters

Butters New Member

No snacking isn't a problem.
    Yeah I spent much time in front of the computer in the evening but only during holidays. As soon as studying begins again this will go down.
    Why chicken isn't a good source of protein? I take the leanest part of the chicken and cut off all fat.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  14. Butters

Butters New Member

I'm looking forward to hack some parts of my life.
    I just found the "Nightwave" device, wonder how it works and if the blue light is contraproductive.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Why are you eating lean chicken? generally the thinking is that fowl is fowl! and you are cutting off the fat?

Can you get GF ground beef? I sometimes make patties and then put a slab of butter on top.......

16. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Why is chicken so bad? We only eat organic and as eggs come from chickens and we're encouraged to eat them surely fowl can't be that foul? We had some lovely fatty duck on Saturday too. A first tonight was veal heart, first time for us. It was cheap even in the expensive butcher we use and not bad at all although I think it should have had a bit more cooking time.

17. Inger

Inger Silver

Chicken get crap feed.
    I buyed organic chicken feed for our hens and it was made of soy, wheat, pea protein, vegetable fats.... just crap.

Maybe the eggs are good if you have no autoimmune condition because they do have lots of nutrients. Especially if eating the yolks and raw. But Jack always says to eat pastured eggs. They need to eat grass, you know. It is important to make the eggs healthy. Most hens are not getting grass, not even the organic ones. At least not here. But if you get great quality I sure believe eggs are great food. I eat the duck eggs raw, I get almost 1 each day now and I feed my ducks only fresh wild caught fish and whole oats and sometimes sunflower seeds, flax seeds, raw meat/organs. Those eggs are so costly one eggs is about...4 € or more if I calculate it..lol A financial disaster :)

If you buy organic chicken it will be way better than regular ones, but still way worse than other meat sources I guess.

18. Butters

Butters New Member

But, if I'm only eating the lean chicken meat without the fat, this isn't so bad like chicken with fat/conventional chicken fat which I avoid isn't it?

19. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Butters I think you are missing out the essential lesson, fat is good, animal fat is good so cutting it out means missing the goodness. When I boil a chicken carcase for stock I don't skim the fat off I leave it, it adds flavour and goodness. True to say though, there isn't much fat on a chicken really, it's mostly in the skin which I don't eat simply because I don't like the taste or texture.

I totally agree about organic eggs Inger. I think in the UK most organic egg producers adhere to the code drafted by the Soil Association with regard to organic feed. The feed will all be organic but as you point out, the ingredients may not be what chickens should be eating. We have 3 at the moment and they roam freely, eating all the grass and bugs they can get plus any suitable kitchen waste but we do also put food out for them and it's not organic. That said our eggs have the yellowest yolks because the hens get sunshine and grass. I am happier eating them than any I have to buy although one hen hasn't laid for a long time and the other two have moulted recently. There was an egg this morning for the first time in at least 2 months. We could do with a couple more hens really. Ducks would be just too messy for a domestic back garden, the hens make enough mess.

20. Butters

Butters New Member

I don't simply cut the fat out, I add butter for every gramm of fat I cut. I only want the protein from the chicken and add butter for fat load.

Started experimenting with gel packs on my neck and stomach like Tim Ferriss. Anyone heard about the cool fat burner? Seems to be a good way to cold adapt, too.