1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Butters' Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Butters, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Hope

Hope Gold

Smart cat, how cool is THAT?!!!! I was just there (in Berlin) and if I had known, I'd have joined you.....I love all the lakes in Berlin. Especially Wannsee of course but they are all awesome. So cool. Do you guys do Kneipptreten too anywhere, or is that too boring?

PS Do you have any Paleo resources for folks in Berlin...like good places to get good grass fed meat etc?

2. Butters

Butters New Member

Yeah that rocks. But for 2-3 weeks I am at home now and not in Berlin.

3. Butters

Butters New Member

The last 2 weeks I gorged at butter and fat. I recognize that I am a bit chubbier and my abs are not as visible as before, so I have to limit this. I don't think it is very realistic around christmas holidays but I definitely will do it afterwards.
    For CT I just have bought a compression shirt - feels so tight.

4. Inger

Inger Silver

Alex... I am thinking I get some reserves too when I gorge far above hunger (dairy fat do this more than other for me).. and sit on my butt. I do not get obese or anything like that but I realize I get "covered abs;ses" ;) too and just a bit bigger overall..lol
    I easily do that with fat because I digest it so well and I can eat unreal amounts.....
    Maybe it is good our bodies are able to store something for the bad days? ;) Oh man I really sometimes have to talk to myself it is just fine to have the softness and that in fall our body want to store stuff for the winter too. Evolutionary thinking.
    I do think if we want to look ripped (abs and stuff..) one should not eat too much/too often past satiety..... that said I do not believe in counting calories or starving. But if we over eat a lot, it is just natural we store a little bit of it ;) even bears gorge and get fat in summer/fall :)

5. Butters

Butters New Member

Yes, I am talking more about health now and not only body composition. The people only look at your body fat and think they can tell you how "fit" and "healthy" you are.
    When I think about many guys who study together with me...they are ripped but have to eat every few hours and can't go without food longer than 3-4 hours. And for god sake when they forget a meal... :D

Other topic. I started reading "Wheat belly". A very interesting book. Did Kruse mentioned it? Also bought "Mastering Leptin" and I'm very excited to read it.
    My sister, 3 years younger than me, isn't doing so well. Very often she has headaches, this week everyday. She has an autoimmun disease, a bloated stomach... All sympthomes of gluten intolerance. I'm talking so often about it, my mother is a doctor and we have the book wheat belly on the table. They don't want to listen to me. They always look for other reasons for the problems of my sister. I don't know what to do. I always say she has to try it for 14 days and look how she is doing without all the rubbish... Nobody ist listening to me. It's freaking me out, I feel so bad. Same thing with my grandparents. Despite my father has read "wheat belly" they give cookies as a christmas gift. How can people do that??? They think they can't change anything, they think it is too late to change people at the age of 75 and if they try they are robbing them the last pleasure. I like my home, but that is freaking me out. It hurts so deep I can't describe, when you're own family don't want to listen...
    I hope that my sister will listen to me this year. How bad it has to be that they will listen...

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Dr. K. always says ....." when they are sick and tired of being sick and tired" You are setting a great example. I guess just love and kindness untll they are ready ..... but so much precious time gets wasted.

I have never, ever understood the mindset "I can't do that" doesn't work for me. Don't ever tell me that I can't do something!

Make no mistake tho ..... they are observing you.....so just be ready when they ask you questions.

I convinced a friend to buy wheatbelly about 8-10 months ago ..... they have just started eliminating grains this week!

I don't understand your Mom tho ..... celiac????

7. Butters

Butters New Member

What do you mean with my mom?

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

you said your Mom is a Doctor? Could your sister be celiac? Did you get Ameer's free book the other day? That would be great to give to your Mom .......

9. Butters

Butters New Member

No, my mum isn't good in english and I have no kindle, thought it is only free for kindle users.
    Yeah I think my sister could have celiac, their are so many things that fit perfectly to celiac, but like Davis wrote in his book, everybody thinks about it only at the end. They are always searching for other things, because they think they would cut themselves from pleasure...

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

There is another book .... Grain brain - I think it is called .... by a Dr. Perlmutter [spelling?] It is much more recent.

I just can't understand the mindset when people say "I could never give up grains" why are people so addicted??? Are we being kept addicted? what a cash cow grains are.......

11. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Yes, the book is called Grain Brain.
    --------
    “If you could make just three simple changes in your life to prevent, or even reverse, memory loss and other brain disorders, wouldn’t you?”

So asks Dr. David Perlmutter, in promotion of his PBS special Brain Change, coming soon to your regional affiliate. Three changes. Simple ones. Wouldn’t you?

The 90-minute special is a companion to Perlmutter’s blockbuster book on how gluten and carbs are destroying our brains. In November it became a New York Times number one bestseller. Since its September release, as Perlmutter told me, “It’s never not been on the bestseller list, frankly.”

.............. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/this-is-your-brain-on-gluten/282550/

I have watched his PBS special. Very interesting, and it may help skeptical people reconsider whether whole grains are healthy or not.

12. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I can only ask how many books, articles and media programmes do folk need before the penny drops? I wonder if it's mostly dependent on their age, too young to understand or worry or too old to care or think it worth changing (with a few exceptions of course).

13. Butters

Butters New Member

Grain Brain is definitely a book I will read in the future.

It's christmas and in the evening I stay up longer, watching series etc. in front of my PC, in front of a open window. So I passively use the time to get a little cold adaption. Is it beneficial to wear a compression shirt while sitting/lying there? Can a compression shirt worn in a cold environment help me to cold adapt faster? I haven't understood the mechanism how it works yet. When wearing the shirt and taking a cold shower I think I don't feel so cold like without the shirt.

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am pretty sure that Dr. K. said he wears one as much, if not more in the summer time - it compresses the fat cells. I hope he tells us more one of these days soon. I started a thread in the cave about it....that is probably where he said it... have to go back and check.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Merry Christmas!

16. Butters

Butters New Member

Thank you very much. So to you!

Did 20min Cold Thermogenesis with the compression shirt. Felt a little dizzy afterwards, but during the bath hadn't problems. The skin was cherry red, but I also developed these cold urticaria hives on my stomach and back, they didn't itch. Is this a sign of a to high omega-6 content in my body? What shall I do? Will supplementing with much omega-3 help this?

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

How cold are you going? Maybe re read C/T protocol? I am surprised you are getting hives with a compression shirt..... What is your body temp?

Are you eating epi-paleo?

18. Butters

Butters New Member

Thank you for replying so often.
    Because I am at home now I have no thermometer to measure the water temperature and have no thermometer to measure my skin temperature either. I think the temperature is 10-12°C. I think to eat epi-paleo, but have a lot conventional meat in my nutrition. I think I will supplement omega-3 to counter that. I have been low carb for 2 month straight now. Carbohydrates coming only from vegetables and now chocolate.

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

my pleasure .....

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Avoiding "vegetable" oils should fix the issue, but it might take a year for your body to detox what is already incorporated into your cells.. I'm not sure the small amount of omega 6's in conventional meat is really the problem. If you eat plenty of natural saturated fats, natural omega 3's (seafood), and yes, some natural omega 6's (nuts) your skin will come around. Plus of course plenty of good water.

When I started eating a lot more seafood, daily at the beginning, I started, in a couple months, to feel a difference in my skin over my hip area. Later I felt this smoother skin spread to more and more of my trunk, and still later my arms & legs and head skin also changed. It was really interesting. But the composition completely improved to a texture I was unfamiliar with. Soft & smooth like baby skin, but also tough.