1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Butters' Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Butters, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Update:

CT isn't running so well in my opinion. Don't have the willpower to stand a long time under the shower. I have a quesion: How does the effect differ when I take two shorter showers in the morning and evening than take one long only in the evening? Is the longer better for adaption?

Interesting things with chocolate. I gorged at chocolate at monday. Had a little stress and destroyed 3x100g of 90% Lindt in the evening at 9pm. In the night I couldn't sleep well. It clicked to my, because I remembered that Dave Asprey mentioned chocolate in the same breath as coffee for mental improvement. So chocolate must contain caffeine. And first thing in the morning I looked this up - with this amount of chocolate I consumed a caffeine amount like 5 cups of coffee contain. Man...no wonder I couldn't sleep. This could me the reason for problems with falling asleep on some other days when I consumed not so much chocolate, too. So the last 2 days I didn't consume chocolate in the night and at all + limited coffee consumption - I slept 9-10 hours the night. I think things are going in the right direction now.
    I definitely think now that chocolate under 99% has a addictive effect to me. I have a problem with eating because some kind of boredom, too.
    So main priority is to limit - better cut the dark chocolate in the evening and consume most of the time together with coffee.

2. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Ah boredom, yes, I think boredom features in the reason I fall off the no sugar wagon so regularly, nothing to do, go food shopping, wander past the jelly snakes aisle and before I know it there's a bag in my trolley, or two bags a few days ago because they have reduced them to a silly price :( I need a minder lol.

I'm not a chocolate fan particularly (although I have eaten a lot of it over the years). I know Lindt may be 99% chocolate but there is still sugar in there, is it perhaps the sugar you are craving? We have a brand in England called Cavalier that is sweetened with Stevia. I bought some, I didn't like it at all. My husband, who loves chocolate, liked it. So I think it's the sugar :)

Here's a link, it is our Amazon but maybe they sell it where you are too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_45lfxnd9pg_b

3. Butters

Butters New Member

Yeah could be the sugar. I see a hard time come at me at vacation.
    Todays evening there will be a dinner with friends. We make goose filled with apples, plums and bacon. We have been doing this for 3 years now. Allthough the goose is a conventional I won't stress myself. I won't eat the plums and apples, dumplings and red cabbage but make a large portion of kale. It's not the best fat composition but it's not nearly as bad as starches.

4. nicld

nicld Gold

Do you have the opportunity to CT in a tub? The only time I can do cold showers is in the summer and then not for very long. Baths are WAY different than showers.

5. Butters

Butters New Member

No, I am a poor student and would have no place and money. But it is definitely right, bath are way more intense than showers in my opinion. But I think showering is better in the beginning, because you can start at a higher temperature and turn it colder and heat it up between cold phases.
    Training a moment ago was very good. As soon as I ended it I jumped under the cold shower for 10min. Was very good, because I was heated up already. Right now I am shivering because of the training not the cold shower. It feels very well. I'm waiting for the goose, yeahhh.....

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Enjoy the goose! It has plenty of fat too ..... and you are so right - just enjoy! Have you seen the recipe for paleo ice cream? I think it is on Dave Asprey's site.

7. Hope

Hope Gold

Hi Butters,

are you eating enough fat? They have that wonderful Goose Schmalz in Germany....

About the chocolate thing....have you thought about getting some plain, raw, cacao powder? A Reformhaus or a Bio Company or maybe even amazon should have a good source over there.....I can't do chocolate either, yet. But you could do a lot with cacao powder. You could make your own desserts with coconut oil, flakes, or whatever. I also love - as a treat - an amazing hazelnut butter by granovita. It is also not cheap, about 350g is 9 Euros...but if you have a tablespoon full now and then with real cacao powder, it tastes unbelievable and could last a long time. You avoid dairy, refined added sugar, and you still get taste, antioxidants and minerals in the nuts. There are carbs of course but you don't need much to be really satisfied. Though Jack is not a fan of nuts and I don't know if you can eat them....

http://www.granovita.de/granoVita/produkte/nuss-und_mandelmuse/haselnussmus.php

Do you do Sauerkraut?

8. Butters

Butters New Member

Thank for the tips. Are you german or living in germany (because you mentioned this company names :D).
    Yeah I don't think it's a good idea to buy goose Schmalz, because it is conventional fat and you will have a lot of omega 6 fatty acids in it in my opinion. I rather think about organic pork lard but that's more expensive than kerrygold butter, so most of the time I go for kerrygold.

I haven't tried raw cacao powder yet, but it is definitely a thing I will buy in the future. For now I think it is enough to cut the chocolate out of my diet late in the day like coffee, because of the caffeine. The last 3 days I found myself sleeping way more better, falling asleep faster and sleeping longer. But sleep time increased - I'm going to bed at 11-12pm most of the time and wake up 9-10am, when I don't have to go to university. Sadly I don't wake up an "boom" feel like rocking the day, I have to go out of the bed but then within a few minutes I am feeling great. So the difficult thing is to get up immediatly after waking up.

One article I found today, going in the right direction but clearly shows the carb needs of athletes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24373097/nutrition-in-the-nba-part-ii-paleo-diet-taking-hold-for-variety-of-reasons

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I subscribe to a fitness guru called Mike Geary, he is very much on the same wavelength and he occasionally mails out recipes for "treats" that are ok for most sensible dieters. Here's his hot chocolate which he advised in his newsletter we could share, yum;

Buy some unsweetened organic cocoa powder (NOT the pre-packaged hot chocolate garbage that is usually loaded with sugar, corn syrup solids, and hydrogenated oils) and mix a heaping Tbsp of organic cocoa with 10-12 oz of unsweetened almond milk (or if you prefer, you can use water, coffee, or a brewed unsweetened chocolate tea as the base liquid) in a small saucepan over very LOW heat.

Using a whisk can help blend the cocoa evenly. I like to add 2-3 tbsp of coconut cream from a can to add more healthy fats (a source of MCTs) to this delicious healthy hot cocoa. You can find canned organic coconut milk in the Asian section of almost any grocery store. Add some stevia and a touch of vanilla extract while stirring over the low heat, and in a few minutes, you’ll have a delicious, creamy, frothy mug of healthy hot cocoa -- WITHOUT all of the sugar and trans fats that are loaded into a typical pre-packaged hot cocoa mix.

You can also add a half scoop of your favorite vanilla or chocolate protein powder while stirring this mix together on the stove. In the final drink concoction, you’ll get the satisfying shot of chocolate along with muscle-feeding, fat-burning protein, a nice dose of fiber from the cocoa, healthy fats from the coconut cream (including powerful medium chain triglycerides), and a mega-shot of healthy antioxidants overall too!

I haven't tried it yet but it sounds awesome.

10. Butters

Butters New Member

11. Hope

Hope Gold

Not living in Germany now, but used to. wish I could. SO many things better there than in the US. But oh well.

Not sure what you mean by conventional fat. I used to get G-Schmalz from farms where the animals are pasture raised. Pork fat will have Vit D, yes. I do miss the German G Schmalz, though I finally found a good pastured source here. Good luck!

12. Butters

Butters New Member

With conventional I mean not pasture raised. Most things are financial impossible for me. I have a look on the quality and try to buy organic eggs and eat not so much of them (maybe a good idea anyway because of the omega 6 content) or buy conventional beef/meat not pork. Wild salmon is a good oportunity for me to get a healthy meal and it is not so expensive here.
    The problem in germany is that organic meat is only made of organic food but that also can be organic soy and corn etc.. Grass fed beef/meat is very difficult to get as a student and to pay for it more difficult.

Today I did CT twice. 10min maximum cold shower (11°C) before a sport seminar at home and 25-30min maximum cold afterwards in the university cleaning room. Felt very good during the showers. My muscles are a little sore today and I notice my training from yesterday, thats good. That was a reason for me too to get under the cold showers today. I think it will accelerate the healing process.

Ate 250g wild salmon+1 egg+kale+butter for lunch and 300g ground beef + 1 egg+butter+kale for dinner. Ate till I was satisfied and a little more butter :D

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Don't forget .... food is only 10% ....... your environment is 90%

Can you get to bed earlier? you are missing some important stuff there .......

14. Butters

Butters New Member

Yes, it is very difficult to get away form the idea that food is the only whole thing because I have a paleo background and food was a long time the only thing I cared about. But I also don't think that food has so little influence. I now know that light and EMF have a big influence and cold may too.
    Going to bed earlier is not so easy because of roommates etc. I think 11pm is a realistic time over a long period but earlier is unrealistic most of the time.

15. Inger

Inger Silver

Alex, do not fall prey to believe food is not important! It absolutely is in our screwed up world of today! The 10% means the other (environment, sleep etc.) are even more important but it does not say food is not. I would not eat grainfed organic beef if there where another choice around..... Lamb? I bet lamb or mutton is way better, and pretty cheap too!

....... I have lots of knowledge on eating cheap and well, some ideas for you :)

Write this very friendly women at max metzgers; angela.galbierz@max-metzger.de Ask for grassfed beef and fat and hearts, you might get liver too. Very cheap! You can buy the cheapest cuts, just ask her she will know. I have ordered form her for many years, they even send me stuff to Finland! Das Paket wird bei dir in ein paar Tage sein und die Versandkosten sind echt guenstig auch wen du viel bestellst :)

Then... eat lots of Pollock, look that it is caught in North Atlantic, not Pacific if possible. Prefrozen Pollock is very cheap and tastes just nice! I eat it raw, but for sure you can cook it gently too if you like (I eat all my fish raw always, no compromises there, because I do not want breast cancer... there is something in raw fish that protects against it ;-) )

Herring? I guess you can get raw and whole herrings for cheap? Or other small fishes? You can make a fish head smoothie out of the heads. Very filling and cheap! Your mitbewohner might want to try too ;-)
    If you have a fishmarket close you can ask for heads and bones to make broth too. They might give it to you for free even.

When I was at my poorest I ate raw meat and organ petfood. Made of moose. Tasted not good but I just hold my nose and swallowed it down. Made me feel awesome, helped me stay healthy even in very stressful situations. When I did that I could live for 4 € / day for food only and was perfectly fed :)

If there are still greens, eat wild greens! They are for free... Linden leaves are even good to fill the stomach with, tastes awesome! Not bitter at all... and great for your digestion

I might move to Germany this Spring, to the North close to Hamburg I think. If - and if you are close then, we need to meet up and I will show you what you can eat for free in the nature. Super healthy too, full of minerals

16. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Inger you are an inspiration :) Always so positive.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Our beliefs are what got us in trouble with Mother Nature and her cousin Lady evolution. Just realize that food being your medicine is also contextual. When the primordial environment of this planet were changed it means the context of food has also now moved and changed. This is the seismic shift I am showing people. The reason is simple........food at the core issue are broken down to electrons in our mitochondria.

But we have biologists, clinicians, and theorist like Dawkins telling us that genes are the key to health. Riddle me this........is an electron smaller than a gene? If so then does life happen really at a genetic level or a sub atomic level? Now for closure of the circle of thinking about this all.........If you get that the environment has changed dramatically in 200 yrs it means understanding how these sub atomic particles change their behavior under a stronger electromagnetic force. This then tells you really where food 's context is today. What your grandmother and your ancestors did may no longer be relevant to your conditions today. Chew on that.

Hilde likes this.
  18. Butters

Butters New Member

I try to digest it...but thanks for the answer.

19. smart cat

smart cat New Member

Alex,
    I just found this in the Paleo Berlin Facebook Group. Winter Swimming in the lake in Berlin. Every Sunday 1/2 p. m.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1525627_185234388342079_248301174_n.jpg
    https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1512582_185234518342066_620101475_n.jpg

Just in case you want to try the hardcore deal. Zakalyatsa :)

I will try it. Maybe it kills me but WTF. :cool:

Here's the post:

"Einige von unserem Tough Mudder-Team hatten Ende November die Idee zum Winterbaden. Wir treffen uns regelmäßig sonntags (13/14 Uhr), zur Zeit am Schlachtensee (u.a. weil der so gut mit der BVG zu erreichen ist). Wir sind drei Mädels und zwei Jungs und haben uns entschlossen, die Gruppe für andere Gleichgesinnte zu öffnen. Wer mitmachen oder erstmal nur zugucken will einfach hier kommentieren oder mir per FB-Mail schreiben.

Warum zum Teufel machen wir das? Einerseits wird die Thermoregulation trainiert, womit einige Paläo-(oder CrossFit-)Interessierte vielleicht vertraut sein dürften. ...Vor allem aber ist es ein Riesenspaß und man fühlt sich danach total euphorisch. Das hatten wir schon beim Tough Mudder festgestellt, wo es auch einige Hindernisse in eiskaltem Wasser gab. Aber wir haben gemerkt, Winterbaden ist noch mal eine andere Klasse."

20. smart cat

smart cat New Member

Inger, you move to Hamburg? Nice! :)