1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Butters' Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Butters, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

I eat mackerel almost every day now at breakfast. The best is, my daugher likes it too like crazy and my wife is at least eating a little bit most of the time. Our kid is a little overweight with 13kg at 2 years. But she still can get through with 3 meals a day. We here it more often now that friendly mothers say our kid is so calm and relaxing. Other kids seem to be more excited and difiicult in that age. She has no difficulties to go to sleep at dark so far and is always the one who wakes us up with a loud "up, up".

Phosphene likes this.
  2. Butters

Butters New Member

Getting really good on the guitar now. Makes me happy to play.
    I started the cold shower training 5 days ago. Progress is showing up. I needed to get myself into CT protocols again.

3. Butters

Butters New Member

Not that its going to get dark earlier, I shifted my last meal time to the limit approaching darkness. I seems my sleep is getting even deeper and better. I go earlier to bed now because of the time shifting to winter time or normal time. But daughter is also up earlier so it cancels itself out :D

And I started cold tubs again. Today first time 10min. I set the limit, because in the past I got too motivated and did too much too early and then got hypothermia symptoms. Dont know the temperature. It should be between 10 and 15 Celsius. After I got no problems with cold showers for more than 5min I thought I try it. And it went good, no cold shock. It was surprisinly easy to get in. Hat was on ;)
    I got 3-4 pounds lighter this months. May be glycogen or fat. But this is the first time since some years I got back to the 80kg mark. Before it was 82-83 constantly. And before I had 90 with some leptin issues I think :D.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  4. Butters

Butters New Member

But CT adaptation slows down this winter. I am fighting with cold hands again outside. It seems I have no better ability to tolerate the cold than normal people, because of that. I can stand a cold shower for 10min without problems but when Im outside my hands get cold so fast outside the pockets in 0°C. I thought Im eating more seafood than ever but something is not going well in that way. Feet are cold too. It comes quicker when Im in T-shirt outside and not so quick, when I have more on me. Still only going with Tshirt and sweater + hat and scarf, no jacket.

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

how is:
    temperature, 36.6C or less?
    FreeT3 on top of range
    selenium
    lugols

6. Butters

Butters New Member

I cut the lugols, because I eat fatty fish 5-7 meals a week and I wanted to take a step back from supplements. But it seems the fish hasnt enough iodine, when I look at charts. So thank you for the hint.
    No T3 tests available for now.
    It seems I need to add a lot more shellfish or specific iodine loaden fish to my diet. So far I mostly eat mackerel because its very fatty which covers the o3 aspect but not the iodine aspect, because it has only around 50-75 microgram of iodine per 100g.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Get ovulation thermometer.
    They are more accurate.
    Measure temperature (deep) under tongue.
    Do that when you are at rest, 2-3 hours after getting off the bed or just mid day.
    Do that over a week or so.
    If your temperature is less than 36.6C=97.9F
    your FreeT3 is likely too low
    to raise it you should have good
    saliva cortisol profile
    selenium
    Lugols
    Vit A & D & DHA (cod liver in its own oil ??)
    if
    that
    does not help
    add gradually up to 3 (possibly 4) grains of NTH (chew the tablets)

NTH=Natural Thyroid Hormone from pigs

8. Butters

Butters New Member

Thanks JanSz.
    Didnt Dr. Kruse talk about having a lower body temp when the thyroid is in the right groove?
    I forgot, that I like cod liver, but I was tilting away the excess oil. Maybe I should change that. And there are again things that speak against that because cod liver "may have" so much toxins in it.
    I generally dont waste time thinking about that but, may it be an issue?
    I maybe have done the CT adaptation too fast. I will go to face dunks and work up from that.

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I do not remember @Jack Kruse saying that low body temperature is good for you.
    Even, or specially when CTing.
    When CTing, loosing (core) temperature may not be the vise thing to do.

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

12. Butters

Butters New Member

Good Idea.
    I just restarted cold adaptation. I bought a bowl of water that I can leave on the balcony with outside temperature around freezing point, so I can do CT with face dunks in the morning and evening every day and dont have to cool the water.
    I just measured the tap water and its just 15°C what is too high for adaptation and maybe thats why I could stand it.
    Now the bowl water has 4°C over night, well other extrem but I can react with shortening the face dunks and the water still warms itself so there is room.
    I need to get a infrared thermometer finally to monitor skin temperature and make the hack complete.
    I can drink a glass of freezing water without much brainfreeze, maybe a little bit starting at the end. But dunking in the cold water gives me a little burning sensation.
    But I will do this for 2 weeks until I can tolerate it good and from there go on with Cool fat burner packs around the belly like the original protocol.

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I just go into shower and use only cold water.
    Simpler, quicker, no mess, no thermometers, you can go there as many times a day as you feel at the time, no preparations.
    You can wet your head or not.
    You can get wet partially or fully, as you feel at the moment.
    You can wet whole body or only part of it.
    choices, choices

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Sheddie likes this.
  14. Butters

Butters New Member

I can do that, too but will procede with the original protocol mainly for now.

15. Butters

Butters New Member

And its getting better - fast. Second session of 10min dunking today in 3-4°C water and the pain almost went away. I would be sure, that I dont get brain freezes with drinking cold water, so I cooled it down to 3-4°C and drunk it - no freezes so far. At least those mackerel eating sessions the last months seem to pay off.

During the dunking I experienced the following:

-with time running, it felt warm, maybe through warming up the water next to the skin
    -I got really calm with more time under water
    -when there was only 50sec I wanted to take only one short dive and dont count the time under water and ended with the alarm tearing me out of the water because it run down

I have no skin thermometer so far, but my face is cherry red afterwards.

16. Butters

Butters New Member

I really dont know if I can skip the dunks, because I can literally stay in the bowl as long as can hold my breath :thumbsdown:. Breath is restricting not the cold.

17. Verena1028

Verena1028 New Member

Why don t u do foul body ct :)

18. Butters

Butters New Member

I would like to start at the beginning again. To be sure, not to skip a step. And maybe face CT is addiontionally good for my eyes and head.
    Today I got a new toy - infrared thermometer.
    That veryfied what I thought. I had a max time of 1.15min face dunk today. The skin temperature didnt went under 12°C except for a short time. So next step will be the cold packs for me.
    I ordered some cool fat burner packs and a vest in the past and will use that now and I have a new toy :D.
    Im actually sitting here with the vest on :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Verena1028 likes this.
  19. Butters

Butters New Member

So the test has shown, I tolerate the ice vest for more than 1hrs on the body. I dont do is directly on the body, because its told its more extreme than pure ice. I had cryoburn scars once in my life, which luckily disappeared.
    My skin temperature dont drop so much with the vest. I had it one time around 10°C in spots, but only the first time. After that is was higher.
    I did face dunks in 1,5°C water without problems and had to dunk 4 times long until I got my skin down to 10°C. So maybe the cold tub isnt the worst step.
    The cold tap water is barely 12°C here, so its on the limit to optimal. No options for ice cooling.
    I have varying temperature when I measure under the tongue. So I am not sure if my temperature is too low. I will keep checking that.

20. Inger

Inger Silver

Try measure in the morning when you are still in bed, that is the optimal time to check body temp. And preferably rectally. Or you have to add 0,3 points if you measure under your tongue.

drezy likes this.