1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Buttermints

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by fitness@home, Feb 19, 2014.

1. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Came across this recipe that I'd like to try. I like little fat bombs.

http://empoweredsustenance.com/stop-sugar-cravings/

Buttermints
    Ingredients

• 1 cup butter, organic pasture butter is the healthiest (If using ghee, which is an oil, it will not emulsify with the honey. See the note on the recipe below)
    • 10-12 drops therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil OR 1/8 - ¼ tsp. peppermint extract(I use the oil) Taste and adjust amount as necessary.
    • 3 Tbs. raw honey(You can increase to 4 Tbs. if desired)
    • Small pinch of unrefined salt
    • Optional: 2 Tbs. cocoa powder for a chocolate version
    Instructions
    1. Have the butter at room temperature. Stir together all ingredients then scoop it into a
    disposable pastry bag or zip-top bag. You can use a metal pastry tiplike I did, I just stuck the
    metal tip into the end of a zip-top bag and then cut off a corner of the bag . If you don't want to use a tip, just snip of the corner of the bag.
    2. Squeeze bite-sized buttons onto a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper. Place in the fridge until firm, about 2 hours, then transfer to a storage container and store in
    the fridge.

Option #2 (with coconut oil and butter)
    Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter (pasture butter is best!)
    • 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
    • 3 Tbs. raw honey (You can increase to 4 Tbs. if desired)
    • 10-12 drops peppermint essential oil OR 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract. Taste and adjust amount as necessary.
    Instructions
    1. This variation includes both butter and coconut oil. Because the coconut oil is softer than
    butter, it will be too soft to pipe through a pastry bag. Instead, mix together all ingredients
    and then spread in an even layer onto a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment
    paper. The mixture will be thick enough to spread evenly and stay put.

2. Place in the fridge until firm, about 2 hours, then cut into little squares and transfer to a
    storage container. Store in the fridge.

Notes
    Important note regarding making the recipe with straight coconut oil or ghee:
    The butter is needed to emulsify the oil and the honey. If you use straight coconut oil (or straight ghee, which is an oil), the oil and honey will not emulsify. You can use an immersion blender and blend the mixture for a minute, and this will help emulsify it.

2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Made these today...in the freezer now. Very creamy, only a mere hint of sweetness and melt in your mouth minty goodness.

[​IMG]

3. nicld

nicld Gold

Oh my these look wonderful. I will have to get some more butter and try this. Thanks

4. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Oh thank you! My kids would love these! Of course I would too.....plus I never get to use my pastry tips!!

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

The problem for me - I would just eat them all .... I am a slug!

I just turned my iPad Chinese! Took me ages to figure it out!

6. Inger

Inger Silver

I want to try these!

I have done something similar but added raw cocoa or melted 100% chocolate, mint chocolate... very nice! Especially if added to egg yolk foam... mint chocolate mousse, so yummy!

yeah I am like Audrey I cannot make treat often I just eat them all :eek:
    I let me and I do not even feel guilty about it :rolleyes: maybe because so healthy threats and they never make me feel bad in my stomach either but yeah.. threats are threats ;)

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

OMG MADE THESE YESTERDAY !!!! I put in more peppermint essential oil. popped them in the freezer - these things taste like THIN MINTS... going to make a gain and put a little 90% dark chocolate in them... THIN MINTS BABY HERE I COME!!!

These things are addictive!!!

8. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Exactly what I plan to try next time I make them! Wondered about how fast the butter would soften/melt when dipped in the warmed chocolate...

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I heated the honey b/c it crystalized... I figure melt 1/2 a bar of lindt 90% dark chocolate, add some warm honey and room temp butter and salt, plus the e.o. peppermint... and bam nom nom nom nom.

10. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I wonder if raw cacao and crushed raw nuts would be yummy....Im willing to experiment ;)

Shijin13 likes this.
  11. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Round 2
    Peanut butter and peanut butter chocolate...it's getting easier to use the decorating bag :)

20140504_170903_resized.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    nicld likes this.
  12. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Not butter mints but an easy fall-style dip. I used to make these and put the butter mixture between two pecans. Pretty but time consuming if you are in a hurry (like I was this morning).

Now I just use the pecan half as a scoop. Butter has cinnamon, a drop of real vanilla and 2 drops of liquid stevia.

Snack1.jpg

13. Starfish Prime

Starfish Prime New Member

Re: the dipping in chocolate/melting butter issue...freeze, then dip?

I know what I'm making tonight! I have been trying to up the fat intake...perfect timing guys, thank you!

14. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Oooh, @Shijin13 made these with a bit of D-ribose....to. die. for.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yep. D-ribose and cinnamon... BOOM. Butter Pecans snacks for on the go.... I used a whole stick of unsalted Kerry gold - so I always have some...... the other day Havoc was asking for some... so I made more... Keep them in the mini fridge for HANGRY children before dinnertime...

fitness@home likes this.