1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Bun to Creatinine Ratio?

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by persistence, Mar 18, 2014.

1. persistence

persistence New Member

I have done some brief experiments with iodine and - wow - I think you are onto something. It appears to have some very calming and neuroprotective effect for me.

Since about the age of 18, I have had food intolerances that have neurological side effects. I normally feel this as either a brain fog or something outright toxic/irritating to my brain that makes it impossible to sit down and focus. I literally sometimes want to stick my hand into my brain and rip out the toxins. :)

The more recent problem with low carb diet has manifested with additional symptoms, like the constant fatigue, dehydration, deep breathing, rapid water weight loss, etc. Since those things are apparently not being explained by my electrolyte panel or my BUN/Creatine ratios, now you have me wondering if this is really some kind of neurological condition around CSF and the blood brain barrier. Alternately, does the Iodine suppress some kind of virus or bacteria, and what I experience is just temporary stopping of toxins produced by the bacteria...?

Both the long-term food-related neurological toxicity and the more recent symptoms of dehydration, deep breathing, rapid water loss appear to almost immediately calm down when I take a few drops of Lugol's 2% Solution. But this calming effect only appears to last about eight hours, then the symptoms come back. So far no allergic or bad reactions to iodine.... I could drop the dose to one drop and take three times a day I guess, to spread the effect out over the day.

Based on this, maybe I need to see a neurologist?

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Persistence, have you considered testing your iodine level?

3. persistence

persistence New Member

I went to my last major panel, and interesting there is no test for iodine there. Is it okay to just test serum iodine, or is there a special kind of test I need to order?

I am supplementing iodine now, so if I get this test how many day(s) do I need to stop the iodine before I run the test?

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I have taken a couple of mailorder urine iodine tests from Hakala Labs. IIRC, you need to stop supplementing 2 days before the test.

As far as I know, no PCP ever orders a test for iodine.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  5. persistence

persistence New Member

So I did a little research and found one of the doctors in US - Dr Flechas - who builds an entire practice around iodine:

http://cypress.he.net/~bigmacnc/drflechas/iodine.htm

I think the other is Dr Brownstein, who has some great videos and books on why to not take certain types of prescription drugs.

Dr Flechas has a 24 hour urine collection for iodine that looks like a very good test. They get you off dietary iodine for 24 hours, then they challenge you with a single 50 mg iodine dose. They follow that with a 24 hour urine collection to see what part of that your body excretes. I suppose their theory is that if the body absorbs most of that 50 mg challenge you must be deficient. And I'm sure that must be a controversial premise by itself.

I'll also look at doing a one time iodine measurement when I am not supplementing.

6. nicld

nicld Gold

ZRT labs has a urine iodine test as long as you live in a state that you can get it.

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

@persistence, Dr Flechas' test sounds good. Just be sure you can tolerate that much iodine.
    There is also a spot test, where you don't take any iodine, and it measures the iodine excreted in a single sample.

8. persistence

persistence New Member

I am taking currently about nine drops a day of Lugol's 2% solution. If math is right, that is about 9 * 2.5 = 22.5 mg / day. My body seems to love that dose, so far. So based on that result I guess I at least ruled out allergic reaction or some kind of really horrible bromine detox reaction?

I hate having to work with something that is so far outside of what the standard of care considers to be proper supplementation.

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I got my lovely bromoderma with only one drop of 2% Lugols, so you might be just fine, Persistence. I was ... seriously deficient in iodine. And I had a serious surplus of bromine, evidently.

10. persistence

persistence New Member

What dose of Lugols do you take? Is that a loading or maintence dose?

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I was taking about 2 drops of 5% daily until recently, Now I take it only when I eat seafood, and only if I remember.

12. any recommendation on how often to check BUN/CR?

13. persistence

persistence New Member

It's a standard part of any basic metabolic panel. I think Labcorp has it on the CHEM8 Basic Metabolic Panel. You get BUN and Creatinine values and calculate the ratio yourself.

Assuming you have bad values and are actively trying to treat this by some therapy, maybe check once a month?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014