1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

BUN:Creatinine Ratio

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by BJK77, Apr 11, 2013.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Does anyone know what Jack recommended for the BUN:Creatinine ratio? I can't remember if it was in a webinar or a blog that he mentioned the optimal number and I'm not finding it in my notes. Thanks!

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

If I remember correctly you want the ratio above 24 - low ratio indicates dehydration.

3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think it's just the opposite. Lower is better.

4. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

Above 24 was for carbon dioxide. 10-15 was BUN/Creatinine. Closer to 10 the better.

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

based on my last couple of consults - where my ratio when from 20 to 27 he said I was starting to look good from the CoQ10 perspective for dehydration- though my RBC mag level still indicated some cellular dehydaration... - I think you want the BUN itself under 20mg/dl

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

It looks like we're all on different pages... time to start educating ourselves... go hit those medical journals... I'll see what I can come up with...

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

aim at below 10, watch preg/E2 ratio, time 43:21 march/2013 webinar

I am not really sure if it was ok to post this type of info here,
    sorry if not.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

JanSz for the win!

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  9. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

Mine was 13 yet I am always thirsty.

10. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Jack mentioned in the last webinar as an indication of hydration status Bun/Creatinine ratio should be 10/1. I was pleased that mine is that exactly.

11. Dextery

Dextery New Member

And then we have this from Livestrong.com http://www.livestrong.com/article/323550-what-is-the-bun-and-creatinine-ratio/

A normal BUN:creatinine ratio is 15:1, according to "Renal Pathophysiology." When the ratio approaches 20:1, it suggests a problem with bloodflow to the kidney; this may be caused by conditions such as heart failure or shock. Alternatively, a BUN:creatinine ratio of 10:1 suggests an intrinsic renal disease, such as glomerulonephritis or acute tubular necrosis.

On my last Quest Lab the ratio they suggest is 10.0 - 28.0 range. I was 13.6

I distinctly also remember Dr K on the last Q & A to get it closer to 10.

I found this in Top Ten EMF FAQs If you have a high BUN/creatine ratio and drink tap water potassium Iodide or iodine (200-300 mcgs) every other day if you eat seafood once a week. If you eat it more frequently you likely don’t need any supplementation. Using seaweed in your broths is a great way to get this critical nutrient too. This is just another small reason eating an Epi-paleo template makes a lot more sense in our modern world.

This in Quantum Biology 2 So if you’re E-dominate, which a PCOS Woman is, then you’re also dehydrated! You can check this with your BUN/creatinie ratio, low CO2 level, or a high LDL cholesterol level. Add that together with Low Progesterone you can’t enter the PPP! However, when you CT it helps neutralize the E-dominance by activating and increasing Progesterone. So ladies, when you’re adverse to getting into the CT tank your progesterone is being dominated by Estradiol (E2) and your thyroid symptoms of being cold and craving heat goes up. When in reality you really need the cold to ramp up the Progesterone and bring down the E2.

rlee314 likes this.
  12. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

And now it appears I may have intrinsic renal disease. I was doing so well.

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

And the waters get muddier still.....

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

yes - I thought I remembered that correctly! Glad to know that some things are sticking!

15. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

So if my BUN is 30 and Creatine is 0.84.... then I'm at 25.2... which is BAD? and I am dehydrated? IF you can't afford a purifier other than PUR or Brita to get away from Floridated water.... COQ10 would help?

16. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

25.2 is a bad ratio, and yes represents dehydration. Are you still training? If so, stopping for awhile is the most economical way to help this ratio. Recently I started drinking spring water to get away from fluoridation. At the warehouse club I buy spring water for about 85 cents per gallon. Look around ... you probably can find an economical source of spring or RO water.

CoQ10 in ubiquinol form is almost always good. Not sure if it will help w/ dehydration.

17. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I asked about the ratio during the last Q&A. I remember him saying 10:1 was optimal, 7:1 was ok, but not great....

I inferred from this that higher was better...obviously an incorrect assumption. My last set of tests showed 18:1, so I thought I was doing well! I guess not.

18. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

@ATL_Paleo.... yeah still training... addicted.... working on that... I will look at Sam's Club... see if they have spring water... but then I get worried about the BPA plastic?

19. Dextery

Dextery New Member

I have switched over to distilled water. In researching flouride content of spring water...even if the label says no flouride...it may have .001 parts. I do recall Dr K saying any flouride at all is not good. Now I just hope distilled water left all the flouride behind. My Wal Mart has Spring and Distilled for 88 cents a gallon.

My limited experience so far is that I have noticed an increase in energy. About 1.25 gal a day for me. Overnight I freeze the gal jugs which is enough to carry me through the day.

If you do go to Wal Mart for water, look at the Gerber brand water for making formula...Spring or distilled water with FLOURIDE ADDED!!!

20. cantweight

cantweight Gold

My test is through Labcorp and it says ratio but doesnt show numerically as a ratio

BUN 10 Range 6-20
    Creatinine,serum .64 Range .57-1.00
    BUN/Creatinine Ratio 16 Range 8-20

I need to get that 16 to a 10? And with low Pg that is tricky right? Trying to get all this!