1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Brrrr--- mind games; and wrapping up after - same affect?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Bethany, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Does anyone have any good ways to keep your mind off the cold while in the shower?

Also, is it okay to wrap up in your cozy robe right after, or does that blow the whole thing.

Man, I just can't imagine getting into an ice tub.

2. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I have toa dmit I find it crazy hard to sit in the cold tub and just wait for 40 min to pass. I have to read and keep myself occupied so i don't think about the cold!

Shower are easier, I like to think about how good this is for my hair and skin! Vain but it works, hehe, and you do get sued to it quite quickly.

3. I don't know about the shower, but when I'm in the bath, I keep my laptop close enough to watch a movie or Youtube sometimes. You could listen to some podcasts about Paleo, etc, or whatever else floats your boat.

I think the robe is a good idea. I stay as unclothed as I can right after, but there always comes a point where I feel like it's time to put the robe on. Dr. Kruse mentions that after he comes inside from CT, he puts on a terrycloth robe. I think the main idea is to try not to get too warm too fast...a robe will help you to retain your body heat without applying artificial heat.

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I find the baths MUCH easier than the showers. I tried the shower a couple of times and then went to the bath. I now do the baths with ice (though not yet up to 60 pounds of it!) and last 45 minutes. I listen to podcasts or put my laptop on a stool outside of the tub so I can reach it but it can't fall in. It's only the first few minutes that seem really cold. Getting out is another story... I'm still shivering for at least 30 minutes. (I put on clothes but try not to put on too much. Then I try to keep moving!)

5. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I visualized my way to birth out a 9.4 pound baby. Yup, it works!

6. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

I read a book or goof off on my iPhone. I've tried mindfulness and meditation but so far I just can't stick to it. I'm not good at either of those when warm! Reading, especially this blog or its comments really helps the time pass (obviously in a bath). I can't take the cold showers at all. It's like torture.

7. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

This A.M. was my second go at a tepid shower. A big change since I LOVE to stand in a hot shower for 20 minutes at a time. When I was about ready to get out I moved the control over just a smidge and got hit with cold (but not icy full cold) ... and to my surprise it felt GREAT! Much better than the tepid water had been. Now that's just plain weird.

So have you all done the face in the pan thing and moved on to the shower or just skipped right ahead?

I ordered a compression shirt from Amazon today (since there were none to be found in any of the local stores) and am hoping to move to the ice on the chest routine in a week or so.

8. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Darleen, I skipped straight to spot-CT. But I was raised in Norway!

9. primat

primat Silver

Don't fear the tub - you might like it more that the showers since you don't constantly have to readjust bodyparts to the cold water. For me, 50F shower is pure terror but a 50F tub is cozy :)

10. bennyha

bennyha New Member

I agree completely. I find the cold showers to be absolute hell. But doing a cold tub for 35 mins at 50F while listening to sports radio is very easy for me

11. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

You could print out everything that Jack has posted inclucive all the questions and answers ;) I have printet out a lot of it and am surpriced how quick time flyes by.

12. I can't stand the freezing cold shower. Much easier for my body to adjust to the tub. I sit in the tub and then start running the water. I like that the cold covers my body gradually. Also, a good book is a MUST for me. The time goes by quite quickly that way.

13. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I have my iPod nearby and listen to a podcast of some sort - Jimmy Moore, Chris Kresser, etc. Hearing them talk about issues I'm working on is good motivation to stay in the tub. I also try not to allow myself to shiver too much. The first time I did a cold tub, I tried to read but I was shaking so much it took me several minutes per page.

I do bundle up after my tub, and even then I still shake and shiver for an hour or more. I figure that as I adapt, I'll be able to wear fewer clothes afterwards. I'm willing to take longer to experience the effects. Plus, seeing me shake makes my husband worry.

14. HeyDianne

HeyDianne New Member

Lyndra,

I completely understand the husband worry aspect. The worry coupled with the fact that he has always thought that I have the coldest rear end on the planet makes the family sleep aspect a challenge. Tonight I plan on icing while the one hour show he watches the one show he watches followed by a cold soak, we shall see what the complaints will be. My newest response has been "what, do you want me fat?" and it has been working at the moment.