1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

BPI TINTED glasses

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Mover, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mover

Mover New Member

Hello Everyone. The members on this forum including of course Dr.Kruse have been amazingly helpful and responsive and I have learned a great deal. Thank you.

I have a question regarding BPI tinting. I recently bought a pair of decent frames and had the eyeglass store tint them using the Uvex lens as a guide. They did not come out as well as seen by the attached photo. I am guessing the BPI on the Uvex are BPI 500? I think mine ended up being closer to BPI 540. They allow quite a bit of light to be transmitted so that I can be at work during the during the day and night under LED lighting. Dept Store type lighting. Wondering if these would work as well. Also, during the day, daylight is being transmitted through the large windows, but the windows are tinted to block UV light i suppose. Wonderng if I should be wearing my glasses while the outdoor light is coming in through the tinted glass. The Area where i work is still heavily iluminated by LED overhead lighting. BTW, my glasses are above the UVEX glasses in the image attached. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. KalosKaiAgathos

KalosKaiAgathos New Member

Uvex = 500nm indeed. Your BPI tinted glasses look 500nm to me as well, but the material seems to be thinner.

BPI 540 or 550 look darker than the your BPI tinted glasses.

Windows block a lot of UVA, and all UVB.

3. Mover

Mover New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. So you feel, my lens will block as much or close to the 500? Learning quite bit here.

4. KalosKaiAgathos

I cannot be 100% certain through a picture, but yes, by the looks of it, your lens seems to block up to 500nm.

Michael Polito likes this.
  5. KalosKaiAgathos

My female intuition is rarely incorrect...

Michael Polito likes this.
  6. Billybats

Billybats New Member