1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Botox for Migraines

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by mafixit, Nov 1, 2012.

1. mafixit

mafixit New Member

My headache neurologist at the Mayo Clinic has suggested and approved Botox treatment for me for daily chronic migraines (which mostly manifest with 24/7 dizziness). He had migraines and swears by it. My insurance company has approved it, so I would be covered. This is in lieu of taking a calcium channel blocker (which only made me sick to my stomach) or the suggested medication Pamelor, an anti-depressant (which I have never taken), or Topamax and/or Imitrex (which I have never taken). I prefer to stay away from anti-depressants.

Any thoughts on this? I am so tired of feeling like I am on a roller coaster physically that I am thisclose to trying it, while of course I change my lifestyle and get my testing done to try to find and get rid of the root cause of this migraine problem.

Karen from Arizona

2. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I think migraines are complex and what works for one person won't for another. I tried imitrex for a while but couldn't stand the weird way it made me feel. It took the edge off the pain but just felt so unnatural. I worried about what was really happening to my brain. My migraines have abated significantly and I chalk it up to dietary changes and hormones. Going grain-free made a big, big difference. From trial and error, I have found that coconut oil or butter will invariable give me a headache (sigh). Hormones are strongly implicated in my headaches. I was on HRT for years after my hysterectomy and had headaches off and on. I stopped the HRT and headaches went away (but hot flashes were murder, killed my sleep, messed up cortisol & thyroid) so I started on BHRT early this year. Headaches are generally under control except for the last week when I've been experimenting a bit more with diet and cutting supplements (I reduced CoQ10 which I think does help me). I've thought about trying botox but feel like I have other avenues. Good luck!

3. mafixit

mafixit New Member

I had the Botox done yesterday. We will see how it works. My Mayo Headache Neurologist says I should know in 2 to 4 weeks.

Karen from Arizona

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I'm interested to see how this works for you... I'm not sure I will ever go this route, having worked with infectious diseases(viruses, bacteria and toxins). but your success might give me pause to consider if it would be an appropriate treatment for mine if I still have them, once my Pg:E2 ratio is fixed

5. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Fingers crossed that it works for you! Keep us posted.

6. mafixit

mafixit New Member

So far no relief and because I ended my birth control pills, my headaches are more intense than ever. Never ending pain and dizziness. Here's hoping the Botox kicks in soon. Not sure I can take this discomfort much longer.

Karen from Arizona :-(

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Migraines are mostly about substance P and the trigeminal nerve. Once your trigeminal nerve becomes overstimulated as it happens in chronic migraines, you get overly sensitive to Substance P/trigeminal nerve stimulation, which means that a normal level of substance P will give you a vicious headache. The oversensitivity has been shown to last for 28 days in some rat study. That is why it is so hard to get rid of chronic migraines.

There is a variety of reasons for elevated substance P including hormones, thyroid, dental malocclusion (the trigeminal nerve passes through your TMJ). And probably others that I don't know of yet.

8. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

HI Karen, have you looked into Dzugan ---The Migraine Cure. There seems to be a hormonal connection for some.

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Substance P is a strong vasodilator. Estrogen has vasoconstrictive/dilative effects. Estrogen could be the cause of chronic migraines potentially. Or, the vasodilation could have a different cause and BHRT, while effective, is used as a patch instead of a fix. One needs to find the true cause of elevated substance P to find the fix.

10. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

migraines are hormonal. I tried everything known to man for 40 years, including getting checked for the PFO in the heart. I actually had one and was getting ready to get it fixed when I read The Migraine Cure by Dr. Dzugan. I just KNEW when I read it that hormones were the answer. Now here I am 6 years later and I can't even remember when I last had a migraine. I had them daily for 15 years and 2 a week for the 25 years before that.

Your progesterone in particular is likely very low and the thyroid is often low. You need a good doctor who understands hormones for sure. Good luck!

Janette Layne likes this.
  11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I forgot neurotransmitters. Serotonin is involved in vasodilation/constriction as well (this is how estrogen/hormones affect migraines - low estrogen, for many women just prior or during menstruation, will lower serotonin, and low serotonin makes you much more pain sensitive).

Low magnesium can be a cause b/c it affects your blood vessels ability to relax.

Estrogen rapidly induces nitric oxide production, a potent vasodilator (migraines are usually induced by cerebral vasoconstriction, which is followed up by too much of vasodilation and the whole process is very painful and produces all sorts of yucky neurological symptoms, but there's atypical migraines as well that don't follow this pattern).

12. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

The entire migraine protocol I follow addresses all those things. I take 5htp to help serotonin. Magnesium, pregenolone, DHEA, and bioidentical hormones.

Janette Layne likes this.
  13. mafixit

mafixit New Member

Who prescribed your migraine protocol?

Karen from Arizona

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Colleen uses Dzugan. She' recommended to me to look into it. I'm finding some success... though we're still tweaking....

15. mafixit

mafixit New Member

Ok - so 5 weeks in I still have daily headaches - Botox did not work for me.  I guess I am one of the 25% who get no relief  [​IMG]

I am being placed back on a short course of steroids and am eliminating all the foods that came back positive on my intolerance labs (which were many things in my daily diet).  Between that, and the new hormone therapy I hope to be reporting back soon that I am feeling better.

There's not much more left that could be causing these damn daily headaches.

Karen from Arizona

16. mafixit

mafixit New Member

An interesting article on migraines and food:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/24/food-allergies-trigger-migraines.aspx

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

BoTox for migraines is like putting lip stick on a pig.

18. mafixit

mafixit New Member

I do not see Botox has a cure - I see it as a short term symptom reliever while I get to the root of the problem. The first round did not work, so Mayo Clinic wants to go another round and increase the dose next month. They also want me on Nortyptyline, which I have not yet started and do not want to start. In the meantime, 1 night in the ER and then 3 days of IV treatments of Toridal, Dexamethasone, Ativan and Benedryl did not work, (the headache came back the next day) and the Arthotec I have been placed on daily ("until the Nortryptyline kicks in" they told me) is barely helping, but is helping me to be able function somewhat. They also gave me Vicodin, which I filled but have not taken, and will only take as a last resort. What's wrong with this picture?

My hormone doctor has added DHEA and Pregnenalone to my Estrogen compound cream. I am also on Progesterone 1x per day, at night, and a Lifepak Supplement Pack 1x per day. Everyone says 'back on Lipitor' because my small LDL is is so high. Even my hormone doc, who is dead set against statins, is worried about my small LDL. She also said to increase my magnesium (blood work shows its low). Her and her colleague are recommending Nystatin therapy - he says I have an overgrowth of yeast that could be causing some of my symptoms.

Exactly one month later with hormone therapy I am really not feeling any better at all. I still don't sleep well, still have head pressure and dizziness every day, and a headache/backache/neckache to go with that most every day to some degree, and as a matter of fact, now I have this strange buzzing feeling that comes and goes, like I am sitting on my cell phone [​IMG] on low vibration. And the left side vibrating/weakness is back in my hip, leg, left shoulder and left arm - which strangely enough seems to coincide with the increase in my magnesium supplement. Absolutely no relief from the shakiness I feel when I try to lift light weights at the health club. Also still having a lot of digestive issues, even on this restrictive diet (Paleo and eliminating food allergies and intolerances). The headaches start in the back of my neck and work their way up to my forehead and into my temples. They hurt and nothing helps. The good news is I am dropping about 1lb per month. Bad news is all my pants are too big and I need to go shopping [​IMG]

I just had blood drawn to check for Lyme Disease, Lupus, Epstein Barr and Valley Fever. I am also starting a probiotic.

I was checked for TMJ a couple of weeks ago - it's not that.

I am a hot mess.

Karen from Arizona