1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Bone collectors get it wrong about birth?

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by TribalSpice, Aug 30, 2012.

1. TribalSpice

TribalSpice New Member

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I wonder what Ina May would say about this???

Birth has become a small obsession for me as I had two distinctly different births - both were intended to be natural w/o medical interference but required it any way. I now sit back and wonder at how my own birth (emergency C-sec due to loss of fetal hb -my moms OB was attempting to deliver me breach) impacted my ability to birth trusting nature.

Dd was 7lbs 6oz total labor was 51 hrs (39 of which was natural) w/a vaginal delivery

Ds labor was great until about hr 7 when I had an urge to push but knew that it wasn't time -spent the next 6 hrs trying labor w/I pushing until my BP got too high and I had to ask for a transfer intuitively I knew something was wrong. Ds was trying come down like superman and his elbows got hung up on my pelvis. If that hadn't happened I would have successfully delivered a 9lb 5oz baby (how much of that weight was natural and how much was influenced by epidural, pit, & fluids) vaginally. Instead he was a C-sect baby.

Physically he could have passed through the birth canal as my maternal grand mother gave birth naturally to several 9-11 lb babies

3. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Very interesting read, now I'm wondering about what each of children's birth tells me about my own metabolism at the time. I also wonder how the time of year (circadian cycles) affect gestation.

1st 3 weeks early 8 pounds 6 ounces (hospital, epidural) June, effortless weight loss

2nd 1 day late 8 pounds 8 ounces (home) June, effortless weight loss

3rd 10 days early 7 pounds 14 ounces (home) May, effortless weight loss

4th on time 9 pounds 6 ounces (home) December, no weight loss

The fourth was definitely harder to push out, she took 45 minutes, whereas the other 2 homebirths were 10-15 minutes of pushing. The hospital delivery was a nightmare. That's why I never repeated it.

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

This makes such sense to me. It's never made sense that we would evolve (especially around something critical like birth!) in a way that compromised our development. Thanks for posting!!

5. TribalSpice

TribalSpice New Member

It is interesting I have a winter baby and 2 summer babies and all of them I carried to just under 42 weeks. One thing I have observed though is women who give birth consistently "early", so before 36weeks, to healthy babies are often women who's family come from countries near the equator, Brazil, Indonesia, Egypt and clients that have carried babies longest were those from much colder climates, including a Russian woman who gestated to 44.5weeks.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

the colder the high the fasting blood sugar. Think back to the CPC evolutionary friend or foe blog.

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

ok Jack... now you've got me thinking.... of a question for ask Jack......

8. TribalSpice

TribalSpice New Member

Yes. I also had a big ah-ha moment about leptin resistance and infertility with this. If there is not the ability to gauge available energy to maintain a pregnancy, the chances are the body will not allow implantation or will be prone to miscarriage.

Jack, I love your work!

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tribal spice......you are connecting dots. Because that is precisely how the brain placenta axis works. Leptin controls placental progesterone levels and oocyte selection for a deep evolutionary reason.

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Nice conclusion, Tribal!

And if the body does allow the pregnancy, there may be a good chance for problems, if DHA is scarce. Well, a certainty for problems.

11. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I wonder, does this also imply something about the future health of the mother. In other words, if she has sufficient energy and DHA on board to get pregnant and carry a healthy child to term, but not actually enough to support both her and the fetus, then pregnancy will create the next generation but potentially compromise mother's health. I ask because I see myself in this scenario. My health really declined after my second child was born. Yet I got pregnant very easily both times and breastfed both children for 3 years. Since nature designs pregnancy to take everything from mum and put it into baby's growth, if mum isn't optimal, her own health will then suffer. Yes?

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you my dear are going to love the next few blog posts with that question.......i think youre already feeling that answer with your intuition.

13. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

This describes me pretty well too. No problems getting pregnant any of the 4 times. Easy pregnancies, and each child breastfed from 2-3 years, with pretty exclusive nursing until 18ish months (they didn't want to eat much until then). I also tandem nursed #1 and #2... My health started going downhill after baby #4. Everyone says it's because I was "older," (I was 33 when she was born), but I don't believe it for a minute. And then, when she was 18 months old (still nursing a ton), and I got really sick I lost a ton of weight very quickly. Then came the elimination diet to figure out her food sensitivities.... And then I really, really crashed and burned... That was 2 years ago and I'm still struggling to figure it out, let alone fix myself.