1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Blue Blockers at daytime in shops etc

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Hilde, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

It makes complete sense. I also cannot see highlighting. When I am reading in the Kindle Cloud Reader (which I should not after dark, but I try to take precautions), I cannot tell which passages I highlighted unless I open the Notes panel. Yellow and orange highlighter disappear into the sepia background of the "book." Oddly, blue highlight is marginally better, though it does not actually appear blue, between the software and blue light-blocking glasses.

At a previous job, I also did not have admin privileges on my computer, but somehow I got f.lux installed. Perhaps I installed it before I lost privileges. I realize some companies block admin access, but it is such a pain. I was unable to edit the hosts file to change the IP address of the local test servers that I needed to get in to. I had to call the one IT guy who supported around 200 employees and worked in a different city.

I also used to have multiple monitors and loved how quickly I could multi task (before I knew about light problems). The monitor I have at my office now is Enormous (long with a curve), so I doubt they make a screen long enough, but f.lux is installed there. I go to the office only one day a week. I can better control my light at home and my company actually gets more hours/work from me.

Those screen filters you mentioned above ... I had a look and they appear to be sticky films. I'd be interested in a screen that I could prop against my laptop screen if you know of any that are effective.

Many apologies for hijacking your thread, @Hilde!

2. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I always wear daytime blockers when inside stores or on computer during day. I always wear nighttime blockers when anywhere after sunset since the streets are flooded with LED lamps. They're labelled "daytime" and "nighttime" for a reason if not common sense to mitodokas.

I disagree with Lahelada that wearing nighttime blockers during the day for any extended period of time, say anything over 5 minutes, isn't harmful. There was a psychologist very recently here on the forum who like MIT wore nighttimes all day in the office and started experiencing serious degenerative cognitive and behavioral changes, actually not too dissimilar to MIT's recent symptoms as well. Telling your brain that the sun has set, or never risen for that matter, all day long especially during the peaks of solar BL is frankly ludicrous.

Michael CULLEN likes this.
  3. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi Cuffy,
    No problem :)

4. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi @Saichi and @Lahelada,
    Thanks for replying but....
    I find it all very confusing because you are expressing conflicting advice.

I really love to hear others opinion on this topic.

@Saichi can you post a link to the thread in which this psychologist talks about his experience with wearing nighttime bbers? Thanks!

Lahelada likes this.
  5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I used to think the same way as @Saichi that circadian rhythm would be disrupted but look at it like this. You are getting out of the car park at the supermarket it is 2pm according to the light you receive. You get into the supermarket and you disrupt circadian rhythm with or without glasses as the frequency combination does not match any pattern we are used to. There is also the theory that if you have a good working rhythm set by a good amount of sunlight during the morning it will remain robust for the remainder of the daylight hours. What remains true in both cases though is that we need to protect the fotoreceptors from unmitigated blue light. Even daylight from windows is filtered by glass that subtracts UV and IR to avoid excessive heating of buildings which makes daylight inside a building very similar to what you would get from an artificial light source,even with the lights off..
    This is also why we move the PC into the yard or at least in front open windows and doors during day time so as not to subtract any frequencies.
    Flicker is another problem that is not mitigated by anything so any time under artificial light should be minimised anyway.

Putting on orange Blueblockers for those short period occasions should not be a problem in my view.Hours on end you would feel quite nauseous or sleepy though and is not recommendable. At night after dark blue and green should be blocked or even better lights should be off.

drezy, Dave Key and Alex97232 like this.
  6. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

To rephrase what Lahelada said, if I understand it, if you're going in a store or other building around the middle of the day that has an artificial light spectrum that isn't yours to change, whether because of filtering of natural light subtracting frequencies or circadian-mismatched lightbulbs adding them or both there'll be a net disproportion of the spectrum compared to the sunlight outside at that time, so that building's lighting spectrum will be artificial with or without the blueblockers, so you might as well put on the blueblockers while in there so you're at least blocking the disproportionately high level of frequencies that most damage the photoreceptors in the eyes.

Marko Pollo and Lahelada like this.
  7. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Thank you @Lahelada
    I understand protecting the photoreceptors, with wearing the orange bbers during the day, for a short time is the MOST important thing to do, correct?

So I should wear the yellow/daylight bbers when the sun is up, when:

-I am in a store/ bad light environment for a long time?
    (F.e. I was at Ikea during the weekend for more then 1 hour inside, wearing my orange bber. I should have worn the yellow bber?)
    -I am on the computer for a long time (without breaks in the daylight)?

You also wrote: "Hours on end you would feel quite nauseous or sleepy though and is not recommendable"
    Because? What causes this?

8. drezy

drezy New Member

I think of it this way:
    Being indoors without breaks is going to be a bit tough on you blue blockers or not. I don't know your situation but I think that is the lowest hanging fruit here.

An hour in a store may not be a huge deal. Trying to tune the details is nuanced. If the lighting was very blue (aka harsh white LEDs and other types of light) the more aggressive orange lenses may be warranted.

In the end you'll have to experiment a bit to see how it all works for you. If your sleep or metabolism degrades keep note.

Keep in mind that melanopsin is also in skin too.

9. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I bought a merino balaclava to protect my face if I have to be online at night. Between that, my bomber hat, union suit, and triple-wrapped scarf, I'm dead sexy.

10. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

11. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    kim johnson likes this.