1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Blue Blockers at daytime in shops etc

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Hilde, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi all,

I have this bb for some time now. "blue light protection PRO approx. 99% (380 -500nm)"
    https://www.innovative-eyewear.shop...-glasses-frankfurt-bluelightprotect-pro-ff709
    I also wear them during day time when I am f.e. in a supermarket or store etc, when there is bad light.
    Is it a wise thing to do this?

Is see other brands of bbers selling there products as 'day time and night time lenses'.

Could it be that I am signaling to my brain incorrectly with this?

2. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Only way to verify brand to brand.. is with a good spectrometer (upratek). From the view brands I have tested.. ones that are even claimed to be "Canada's leading blue blockers).. the results were piss poor. .. The only pair I have verified to be SPOT ON were RAOPITCS.... they don't fool around.....

mrc likes this.
  3. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi,
    Sorry I think I wasn't being clear.
    Really struggling with the cultural/language difference and how to bring my message correctly.
    I only wanted to know if wearing these glasses during daytime would have a negative effect because it's signaling to go to sleep.
    Do you wear your red bbers inside shops etc during daytime?

4. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

I gave you the answer to your first question, and the most important question... everything after that is irrelevant.

5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

1. Yes,it is good to wear them under bad lighting, but you may experience sleepiness when you wear them for the too long. This sign would be a sign that your indoor /outdoor time balance is out of proportion.

2. Your glasses should block up to 550nm.(T includes that green)This meanst should be a deep,reddish orange. You can test your blue blockers with a test online. I found the one with two bars most helpful.

Pablo likes this.
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB New Member

I used them in front of pc and my dream got worse ..
    Now I use it only when I go to shopings and one that only filters blue and not blue and green like the previous one and I improved a little ... although not 100%.
    now on pc i just use flux

7. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Never, I only use those after dark. I keep a pair of daytime bbers in my car so I have something I can grab if I'm going into a store during the day.

8. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I would never wear nighttime bbs during the day. When you go inside a store during the day, the LED and fluorescent flicker is the most harmful toxin and no glasses can eliminate that.

9. kim johnson

kim johnson New Member

Hi, Can you please inform me the name of the online test for bbs effectiveness? How to access this test?

10. TEST you can take to see if the glasses you have block blue light

[​IMG]
    If the blue square become black then the blue light filter removes all the blue light

If the square on the right become black as well this means the blue light filter is removing all the green light as well.

11. kim johnson

kim johnson New Member

Thanks, My friend did give me the proper kind of glasses to block blue light. The turquoise is really a beautiful
    color!

12. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi Saichi,
    Can I conclude you are not wearing any bber while in a store during the day?
    I know flicker is very harmful.

13. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Hi Katie,
    Thanks.
    What bbers do you wear during daytime behind the computer when not in daylight?
    Daytime or nighttime bbers?

14. Hilde

Hilde New Member

When we are wearing the deep,reddish orange bbers during daytime, that block up to 550 nm, (like I do in stores etc, )we are raising melatonin at the wrong time?
    Correct?

15. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Red light does not raise melatonin. What it does is that It does not lower melatonin as much at night as other colours.
    Melatonin is made in the first hours of the morning and secreted at night.

Red light attenuates damage to retina.
    Circadian rhythm interruption is a minor concern in wearing the blueblockers indoors during the day as there is a much bigger danger of damage to the photoreceptors via an excess of unmitigated blue light. Fotoreceptors that are beyond repair will be incapable of telling time. This does not mean though that one can just sit indoors all day long. Any exposure to artificial blue light must be mitigated with real natural light doses during the day. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0197018618306272

mrc, BrunoB and MITpowered26 like this.
  16. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

@Lahelada so smart. :love:

Lahelada likes this.
  17. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

At work I wear prescription daytime RaOptics. I placed a Reticare blue-blocking screen on the computer monitor and had f-lux installed. (IRIS is on my home computer.) The LEDs/fluorescent lights are turned off. I purchased my own desk lamps and use halogen/incandescent bulbs. And my arms and thyroid are always covered (scarf, wide neck band, or turtleneck sweater).

Hilde likes this.
  18. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

@Katie Durham how do you like IRIS compared to f.lux? It goes darker, yes?

I've had f.lux installed on both work and home computers since around 2014. I recently ran the trial for IRIS, but I found it made things a bit harder to see--but perhaps I didn't give it enough time. (I also don't like that my credit card will get dinged monthly--I'd rather pay for a year up front.)

19. Hilde

Hilde New Member

Thanks for this.
    Should I turn of Flux before I test this?

20. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

I believe IRIS is the better program and I really like their customer support. But there is a feature of f.lux I like better for my computer at work. I keep it turned pretty low but that means I can't see critical differences in color when someone sends me an email with highlighting so I occasionally need to check. f.lux's panels activate for me MUCH quicker than does IRIS. Possibly it's a feature of my home computer, but I worry I might not notice the highlighting and embarrass myself and my boss if I turnaround the emails without fixing the highlighting. Not sure if that makes sense.

The other issue is I do not have permission to install anything at work, the IT folks must do it for me. At the time I just knew about f.lux. Maybe someday I'll ask to convert to IRIS.

Something else I did to reduce blue light exposure at work - I refused a second monitor that was supposed to be installed.

Cuffy likes this.