1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Blue Blocker Screens for TV's

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by cmegan, Jan 27, 2017.

1. cmegan

cmegan Silver

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a blue blocker screen for TV's? I'm growing tired of watching the news with 2 pairs of glasses on! (My RX and then my Uvex).

Lowbluelights.com used to sell one but they don't anymore....any ideas?

Thank you!

Christine

2. Penny

Penny New Member

3. cmegan

cmegan Silver

Thank you! Yes it is too small for my TV.... unfortunately low blue light.com doesn't sell theirs any more....

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Rubicon mentioned something I believe in Mexico. He had it on his laptop if memory serves.

5. PaulG

PaulG New Member

6. cmegan

cmegan Silver

Thank you Jack!

7. cmegan

cmegan Silver

8. River

River Gold

Cool product. Is it a half-truth though, like f.lux?

9. PaulG

PaulG New Member

I think so, they target narrow range of blue in the 460-480nm range so green remains. According to this paper Effect of light wavelength on suppression and phase delay of the melatonin rhythm The shorter wavelengths of 470 (blue), 497 (blue/green), and 525 (green) nm showed the greatest melatonin suppression, 65% to 81%..so this implies that even with blue blockers you are getting some level of melatonin suppression with artificial light.

cmegan likes this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Nice find.
    Sort of like flux.com but for TV.
    I noted there a sentence:
    "Removes blue signal from the red-green-blue signal according to desired intensity."

That is there is still blue remaining, just of lower intensity.

I assume that we do not need any blue at night.
    Actually green is also undesirable.

---

11. Rubicon

Rubicon Avoiding Equilibrium

I've tried a number of things for filtering blue light on displays. To test how well blue/green are being blocked, I open this image and visually check how much blue/green I can see: RGB.png

Mobile phone screens
    I was telling Jack in Mexico about how good the blue blocking ability of Android phones are compared to iPhone because of apps like Twilight that make the screen really red. However, after recently testing with the RGB image I'm not sure if Twilight removes much blue after all.
    Screenshots: Before / After / Twilight Settings Used
    I would like to see exactly how the RGB image would appear on a Nightshifted iPhone.
    I may try a plastic blue blocking phone screen filter in the future to see how that compares.

Rubylith Film
    I bought some custom sheets of Rubylith on Ebay that fit my computer monitors. They block all blue, and nearly all green.
    Before / After
    I think this would work on the TV if you could get a big sheet of rubylith, but I did not end up using this solution since I found a way to make f.lux do the same/better
    Another similar option I've seen but not tried is this amber UV filter film

F.lux with customized setting for 900K color temp
    Normally the lowest color temperature you can select with f.lux is 1200K. At 1200K there's still a lot of green. @Rerun mentions here how to go into the registry on a windows computer and set f.lux at a color temp of 900K. At 900K, all blue and green disappears from the RGB image
    F.lux at 1200K
    F.lux at 900K
    I set my computer monitor to 900K if I use it in the evening, and on a laptop that connects to the TV in the living room for when I'm occasionally watching video.

Iris
    Getting f.lux adjusted to display at 900K as mentioned above is tricky. Recently a new app has was developed for blocking blue light called Iris (https://iristech.co/).
    They sell a "mini version" for $2 that has the ability to set the screen to zero blue with much less effort. If you don't mind paying two bucks per computer, I would recommend that at this time.

Some images of my TV connected to a laptop set at 900K in F.lux / zero blue on Iris:
    RGB.png
    Netflix
    Forum

WarrenT, gaenor, PaulG and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rubicon

Rubicon Avoiding Equilibrium

Since returning home from the Optimal Resolution 2017 event in Mexico we've seen some big gains in our household that we attribute to aggressively blocking blue light at night with F.lux, minimizing screen time, and wearing blue-blocking glasses during the day while indoors under fluorescent/LED lights. Our n=2 experience would confirm that blue light really is perhaps the #1 most dangerous nnEMF

shah78 and cmegan like this.
  13. Ted

Ted New Member

Wow, thank you for this amazing information. I need to give these things a try

14. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

lowbluelights told me that they stopped selling the larger filters that cover televisions because the optical quality of them was not very good. I think they said they still had some left, so you could try getting in touch with them directly to discuss.

I went looking for a large screen protector bc, like you, I was uncomfortable with my rx plus uvex over but I never found anything that really blocked any significant blue. I expect most people will only tolerate a very mild tint on a filter (like blutech) and anything else is not going to sell to the mainstream market, so there isn't anyone doing those as far as I can tell.

15. JCDC

JCDC New Member

Night shift is worthless on iPhones but for some rI haven't seen anybody mentioning the new-er capability the iPhone has with iOS 10. Its called display accommodations and its better than twilight on my friends android and puts the jailbroke F.lux I used to have on my iPhone to shame.
    Settings--general--accessibility--display accommodations--color filters--turn color filters on--select color tint--drag intensity & hue bars all the way to the right.
    Using rubicons pics above I cannot see the red or the green. Occasionally this makes it really hard to see some things on the phone that are colored primarily blue/green but that can be fixed by turning on the gray scale which just adjust the relative colors of everything so its like looking at a black and white screen but dark red and light res instead.

There is also a way to "reduce white point" and set a shortcut to activates the on command simply by pressing the home button 3 times
    https://www.howtogeek.com/242626/use-a-triple-click-on-your-iphone-for-these-useful-shortcuts/

16. Scompy

Scompy Gold

This video shows us how we are being visually tricked by "Oz Behind the Curtain" and why we need blue-blockers and mitigation strategies against artificial lighting.

Seizure Warning! I only watched a few sections of this video with my blue-blockers, shrunk down my web-browser to a very small view and listened (audio) to most of the video rather than viewing it. But it's a great resource to show what goes on in front of you!

cmegan likes this.
  17. WarrenT

WarrenT Silver

Great info, thanks!

Is anyone using a blue-blocking filter for your computer monitor? I wear Ra Optics 450nm daytime yellow but I'd also like to filter my work computer during the day to protect my skin.

I saw these:
    https://lowbluelights.com/product/l...ing_wp_cron=1543348291.6294929981231689453125

but they claim to block 100% up to about 540nm and are intended for evening use so probably not good during day job.

I'm not allowed to download color tweaking software.

Any ideas?

18. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

19. drezy

drezy Gold

Allowed?

20. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

I have one for my computer. Im diggin it.

WarrenT likes this.