1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Blue and green blockers

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Joe Seg, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Joe Seg

Joe Seg New Member

Sajid Mahmood likes this.
  2. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

They look like my true dark glasses made by BIohacked.com . I get great results with mine.

3. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

upload_2018-8-20_12-49-0.png (Top line is rural).

I want to see a spectral analysis of ratios in the "light recipe" commercial blue blockers allow through, not just what they exclude. For example there's the question of green in relation to intraocular pressure. https://www.healingtheeye.com/Articles/AJO_IOP_ light.pdf. Sunset at 0 degrees solar elevation contains green, and a -6 degree solar elevation doesn't exclude green. Blue may be balanced by red, but the green may be balancing the red … Yellow also drops after sunset compared to a +6 elevation, but it isn't zero.

There's also the question of what other frequencies are being excluded that may be important so I also want to know if signalling other than melatonin and melanopsin is affected by going from a "same" (Martian? :rofl:) landscape to darkness …. Better than doing nothing, but with an eye problem I can't take the risk of too much red. I'd like to be able to buy some more stylish 0 degree, -6 and -12 degree solar elevation glasses, rather than have some cobbled together ones made with clear safety glasses and gel filter paper. I live in hope. :)

Phosphene and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

RaOptics blocks the green hence why I recommend them. My members have known this for years It is not a new issue.

Michael CULLEN likes this.
  5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

My five cents. You cannot expect yellow blueblockers to block blue and green, not even orange ones will do that satisfactorily. The tint needed borders on red and is very dark. Look at the colour wheel. I laugh when I see the propaganda for certain really dark glasses from a certain someoneand the supposed technology involved.The technology is a tint and a spectrometer. Lens material is another. I have both the orange glasses and the red ones. I make them here for Argentines and they pass the test.

Phosphene and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yes you can. That is what the BPI 550 that RaOptics.io does, hence why I use them.

7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Thank you.I stand corrected. I understand that BPI 550/orange is blocking up to 550 nm. My reference range for "green " was up to 560 nm as some scales state. I tested mine against various green Leds and they do change the colour of green Leds to " hues of yellow".

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. Sajid Mahmood

Sajid Mahmood Lionel Messi

You can still see green with Ra Optics. I tested them by looking at those two squares. Ra Optics should have an option for slightly darker tints for home use. I've read somewhere on here that it's important to block everything below 565nm, as there’s very little effect on melatonin after 565nm. Ra Optics only blocks everything below 550nm. They should have an extra option of tints or special glasses that block below 570nm. Not a fan of TruDark. For me, they seem to be too dark when all the lights are off in the evening.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  9. Sun Disciple

Ra does have a BPI monochrome tint that is up to 600nm I believe. Its gonna get darker with the higher nm your filtering with any tint ive found.

10. Sajid Mahmood

Didn’t know Ra does 600nm. I’ve seen their website and there doesn’t seem to be any option for 600nm. For me 600nm is too dark. I’ve got the dewalts when I need to wear darker ones. Not sure at what point the Dewalts block up to. I would like 570nm ones. 570nm for me just seems to be right.

11. Sajid Mahmood

Just checked the website and there is 600nm but it’s only on special order which is very expensive. Like I said, I have the Dewalts which must be something close or similar to the Bpi monochrome 600nm. Dewalts do a good job and are cheap but for me they sometimes can be slightly too dark

12. Sun Disciple

I also have dewalts they are not as effective in my experience as BPI 600 or true dark 570nm which I also own. Use the darker glasses before bed after sunset to wind down, when it comes to deeper sleep darker is always better. Thats the sacrifice you make.

Sajid Mahmood and OptimalSkr like this.
  13. Sajid Mahmood

How much darker are the bpi 600 when compared to the trudarks?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. Trev Douglas

Trev Douglas Gold Member

I think clarity around the terminology "blocks' vs "filters" is important to communicate clearly.
    If one claims to "block" a particular "colour", imo it ought to allow 0% transmittance of that entire range of the spectrum.
    If any of that colour transmits through, then "filters" would be more appropriate, and disclosing by what % at what nm even better.

I think something like this chart below at least makes it clear what they do, and what they don't do...

I would be interested to see the curve on a lens that claims to "block" green...if it really blocks 100% of green at the farthest end of the green spectrum and doesn't let 0.01% in until Yellow, then WOW!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Sun Disciple likes this.