1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Blood Pressure Spiking at Dark

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Huck, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Huck

Huck Silver

Distilled is backup when I run out of spring water.

2. Huck

Huck Silver

A little more background.

I started taking methylated folate, b12, and lipoic acid a few months ago, based on one of Jack's blog posts. Around the 1st of the year, I suddenly had an huge increase in energy and motivation which I attribute to the methylated supplements. I finished a piece of furniture I had started 2 years ago and started getting my house ready to put on the market. I was knocking things out I had been putting off for months.

ETA: Just remembered this. My norm is to keep bedroom thermostat at 60 degrees. When the temperature is below 60, I am cold no matter how many covers I use. Recently that changed. I have had several night where I had to turn heat off because 60 was too warm. When I woke up next morning, I have seem temps as low as 46 and I was comfortable. Not every night, but at least 3 or 4 times in the last 2 weeks.

I also rededicated myself to getting healthy. I restarted epi-paleo diet and looked for ways to lower BP. I started doing deep breathing, EFT (tapping), increasing supplements known to lower bp, restarted grounding and exercise, and ordered the Bionase device. My plan was to reach my goal weight by summer and have the summer to stabilize and continue to get healthy before the sun started to disappear. The last time I lost the weight and was feeling great, Fall threw me for a loop and I haven't recovered. If I can get the weight off, I think I will also be able to get off the bp medication.

I also planned to move much farther south where I would get 2 months more good sun every year. The only time I haven't had a weight problem was when I lived near I-10 (which wasn't built at the time I lived there). My plan was to move to Louisiana and spend my retirement eating goodies from the swamp and gulf.

This spike in bp came out of the blue. In Oct when I had the 1st spike, I'm pretty sure the decrease in sun that caused it. Doc added another med and bp was fine until this past week and then every night the spike repeated. My intuition says there was a triggering event that caused it. Maybe the bionase or maybe something else. I just know I have to get off these drugs as quickly as possible!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. Huck

Huck Silver

To show how weird the readings are:
    7 am 160/76 (took med)
    11 am 109/68
    2 pm 123/77

I am supposed to take a med at 12 noon, but haven't yet because bp is still low. I get very light headed if bp goes much below 110/70. This is how my BP was acting before this started.

It's too much meds, but I guess the doc rather have me over drugged than have a stroke.

My hunger is starting to come back after 2 1/2 days. I hope that is a sign that whatever triggered the spikes has just about run its course.

4. Huck

Huck Silver

I think the worst is over. The last 2 nights, bp starting going up about an hour before sunset, but then started coming back down 2 hours later. I tried so many things, I have no idea which, if any, helped.
    • I found several articles and posts that indicated reducing fbg would help, so I fasted for several days and have been low calorie since then.
    • I added a few more supplements and increased some I was already taking, like magnesium, l-carnitine, l-arginine, etc.
    • Exercise - walking and riding stationary bike. I found 5-10 minutes on bike brought bp down substantially. Repeat throughout day.
    • Drinking lots of spring water
    • Retimed meds so 1 would start to peak around 4 pm and another at 9 pm
    And the thing that most likely caused the problem was the bionase. I quit using it about a week ago and my sinuses stayed clear until 2 night ago. That coincides with when my bp stopped spiking at night.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Great hearing from you again after so long, Huck!

6. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

If this is a red light on an electrical heater... it is my understanding electric heaters are fairly strong nnEMF generators... May be worth checking if you have any access to a tri meter. Or, better bet is to remove all electronics from the bedroom anywho, even cutting breaker if the potential is there. (turning the breaker off would stop the A/C field that merely runs through the electrical lines constantly, so that you'd have a better chance at hearing/sensing the natural fields of the Earth.

Also, sleep is better at a cellular level in cold vs heat, semiconduction optimization! (in the same way 'watercooling' a computer allows for much higher overclocking of the processor while maintaining equivalent 'chaos' levels vs. air cooling, due to water being a better medium of dissipating heat by 20+ fold)

7. Huck

Huck Silver

BP problem is still not resolved. I will have about a week where BP either doesn't spike or spikes only moderately at dusk. Then I will have several days where it spikes, jumping as much as 30 points in an hour, and then continues to go up for the next few hours. Almost every time, it has returned to normal in the morning.

On Friday, BP at 1 pm was 137/78 and at 3 pm was 185/91 with a heart rate over 100. BP kept going up and reached 202/102. I schedule my meds so that they peak about 4 pm to coincide with when the spike usually occurs. One of the meds I take is clonidine which is fast acting, so I take it when the spike starts.

I have done a bunch of tests and doc can't figure out what is causing the spikes. About 2 weeks ago, went to a walk-in urgent care because BP had spiked over 200 again and I was burping and had chest discomfort. All their tests came back negative for heart problem and they gave me script for prilosec. I have never had gerd or burping like this before the bp spikes started. I know prilosec is the wrong thing, but I was desperate and a little scared, so I tried it. I had almost immediate relief. Unfortunately, what I have found is that when the spike is real high, I still start burping and have chest discomfort.

Doc said Aldosterone and renin were both low, but lab report says aldosterone is normal.

Metaphrines - normal, catecholamines - normal, troponin I - normal, magnesium RBC - slightly below optimal, amylase - normal, CMP - normal, Cardiac Profile - Normal, H Pylori IGG Antibody - normal, urinalysis - normal, CBC - normal, 3 EKG's = OK, echocardiogram - normal.

Scheduled for stress test tomorrow.

It seems to me this is circadian rhythm related, but docs just give me a blank look when I mention it. A chart that someone had posted here shows blood pressure being highest about 6 pm. I'm guessing that's an average and on lower light days it may happen earlier. If that's the case, it seems to me that whatever that process is that causes bp to rise, in my case it is over-reacting.

What is that process or processes called that cause bp to rise about 6 pm? Maybe if I can use their language, the docs will take it more seriously.

8. cjhf

cjhf New Member

A 3-7-15 podcast with Mark Houston, MD, hypertension doctor/author may offer more information for you.

www.highintensityhealth.com/DrHouston

(The replay is on the blue bar not the picture.)

9. Huck

Huck Silver

Thanks for the link.

I watched a youtube video of his yesterday, but much of it was over my head. I ordered his blood pressure book and I'm already taking most of the supplements he recommends.

I have found posts on hypertension boards from several other people that are having a similar problem (evening spike), but it appears doctors just treat it as "normal" hypertension. One problem is when I (or other people) go to the doctor, our blood pressure is not spiking because it happens late in the day.

10. Huck

Huck Silver

Really frustrated. I have seen 2 docs at er, 2 docs at different urgent care centers, my regular doc several times, cardiologist (twice) and a resident cardiologist. None of them seem to have a clue as to what causes high blood pressure. They just throw drugs at it until they find a combination that keeps it under 150/90. So what if the combination causes gas and heartburn - just add prevacid. All tests seem to indicate no major heart problem so just keep taking the drugs. The cardiologist told me to come back in 2 years!

But doc, I never had stomach problems before you prescribed these drugs. Couldn't the drugs be the reason I now have heartburn?

And doc, based on my diet for the last month, I should have lost about 10 lbs, but instead I gained 5. I think these drugs are causing weight gain.

(Doc) Well, hypertension is serious, so you might just have to live with the side effects.

But doc, my bp is easily controlled with just 1 med until about 7 pm (dusk). At that point, BP just shoots up and meds seem to have no effect. Why is that?

No answer.

The resident started to give me a lecture on why it was bad to take 1 tums at bedtime when what I asked her was if the meds could be causing the heartburn. I told her I just had a HS-CRP lab and it was .35. She had no idea what a HS-CRP was. She asked if I had any thyroid problems, but had no idea what a reverse t3 was.

11. shah78

shah78 Gold

@nonchalant already claimed the GREEN ACRES copyright in her "Goodbye city life" thread, but I would like to ask her to allow you to assume the role of Oliver Wendall Douglas. You are spending your entire life now going from EB, MD to Mr. Haney, MD, to Mr Kimbel, MD, to Mr Drucker MD. And you start the day off with a two inch pancake, hard as a rock ,from your wife Lisa, MD. The only difference is that your tale of woe is real and his was fantasy. Also yours is scary as hell and his usually involved tractor parts or chicken manure. ...... I am so sorry for aggravation ........ Alf ,MD and Ralph MD may be your last chance.:) And the best part is you and /or your insurance get to pay for this great advice. Hs-crp and Rt3 are unknown in Hooterville, didn't you know that? You have to go to the big city of Pixley to get that high quality of doctoring. Good luck.

fitness@home and Kristi Lambert like this.
  12. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Wow, how absolutely frustrating for you Huck :confused:! Need to fire your current Doc(s) and look someone better informed.

@shah78 - thanks for the walk down memory lane...

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Huck, what is your BUN/Creatinine ratio?

14. Dia

Dia Gold

@Huck , have you read Ubiq 4 as yet? It may hold the key to you issues.

THE LINK OF SUNLIGHT TO BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART FAILURE

These pathways are tied to plasma blood pressure control. This is why blood pressure is among the best clinical signs of altered ubiquination rates in my opinion. The connection of the SCG links the pineal gland to a pressure sensing electromechanical coupling. The pressure wave is found in the arteries of the head and neck. Therefore, higher blood pressures in the brainstem usually manifest, from a lack of daytime sunlight or dehydration within the blood plasma for some reason. There are many studies linking sun exposure to lowering human BP. Modern life keeps humans indoor out of the sun. This blocks sulfation of D3, cholesterol, melatonin and DHEA. This is where heart disease begins.

15. Huck

Huck Silver

My latest is 19. Actually, it looks like my BUN and Creatine haven't changed for at least 7 years.

16. Huck

Huck Silver

Haven't read them yet, but will get started on them now. I just finished reading 3 books on blood pressure and heart disease. I bet there is some overlap between the books and Jack's articles. Thanks.

17. Penny

Penny New Member

You might want to try this thread:
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/looking-for-illustration-of-arginine-pathways.12219/

The guy who does my kid's instrument repair went off his blood pressure meds by taking 2 tbls per day of diatomaceous earth... maybe calcium efflux has given you arterialsclerosis?

Food grade DE can usually be found at a feed store for $7.00 -WTH... :)

The thread seems to imply your mito are shot - so mito supps are: carnitine/ubiquinol/benfotaimine (great for glycation)/d-ribose -

Maybe eat lots of green leafy veggies plus for you, I would be drowning in Epsom Salts daily... then expose your skin to infrared light - betweeen 9:00-noon -

Also, pay attention to your circ clock -
    You're right "Black Hole sun" was the blog for you - but quite technical -

18. Penny

Penny New Member

19. Huck

Huck Silver

I take it 3 times a day along with a bunch of other supplements. Some act as alpha blockers, some as beta blockers, some as calcium channel blockers, and some repair damage to the endothelium. Yesterday I took them 2 hours before the spike (along with Atenolol) and no spike. BP started to go up, but came right back down and stayed down. It might have gone up after I went to bed, but at least until 9 pm it was fine.

20. Penny

Penny New Member

Actually, tensegrity 2 could be amazing for you... me thinks 30 minutes in the sun is not good enough for you - try 3 hours between 9:00 and noon - and please make sure your water is ice cold - not flouridated - is your spring water actually spring water?

I mean, around here, if you ask them where it comes from they say: tap water...

If you aren't holding your water, you have to drink even more - and eat more seafood - think of yourself as a battery... the only way I can fathom any of it...

And could you have POTS? I like the bone broth idea - add some sauerkraut/probiotics to it too - pathogens will lower your redox and also be attracted to your low redox... they love protons -

You know, you might want to try to go to bed with some ice packs and see if that helps you hold the ol' charge better at night in lieu of sunlight... eat seafood for dinner - ice cold water and an ice pack -

Seafood A.M. sunlight ice cold water and cold thermogenesis - also, no blue light because you need all the DHA you can get -