1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Blood Glucose

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by LisaAPB, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, Ray! My HbA1c was 5.8 in April, so nowhere close to 4.4 as in the blog. I was concentrated on fasting values and I really have to look into the ones after meals as well.

2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

My diet have always had a few carbs. Otherwise, I feel very sluggish and as I mentioned I feel like my cortisol is pumping in overdrive. Also my heart rate goes from 85 to over 95. It feels like my gut and heart is very stressed. It is hard to explain but I feel the physiological impact.

3. Ray

Ray New Member

??? Without manipulation, the fruiting of most plants is tied to seasonal changes, with each species maturing at the same point in the yearly cycle. For consumers of each plant crop, it would either be feast or famine. In my case, even if I rationalize real hard, I can't splice what I did into the paleo model. (unless rice crackers, cheese, and beer is now paleo. I'll have to go check on MDA since he is now running a series on "is it paleo")

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

not true

leafies come first, then early season watery veggies/fruits, then sweet fruit, then starchy carbs..... at least that's what my garden does every year

not getting your second part?

5. Ray

Ray New Member

we are saying the same thing with regard to the seasonality of crops. It is feast or famine for each crop in turn. The second part is a joke (sort of). The definition of paleo is a moving target. Mark at "Marks Daily Apple" is running a blog series where he tells you whether a particular food is paleo or not; however, FOR SURE cheese, crackers and beer is not paleo, and for the record, I shouldn't have done it.

As far as whether physiological insulin resistance is a natural response of a well adapted human on a ketogenic paleo diet, nobody really knows yet. When some of you all get optimum, you can run the experiment. On the other hand there is a strong argument that alternate biochemical pathways are activated in an individual in ketosis, and it is a good possibility.

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

that might be a language problem... if you say you said the same thing, you probably did :) English.Is.My.Second.Language.

7. Ray

Ray New Member

I was trying to say the same thing, but it appears you did a better job. I wish I had a second language as strong as your English.

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

so this am...I decided to see "push" the envelope w/my BG

I made egg cups -(12 eggs, 1c almond flour, 1Tbs baking powder, cinnamon, 2TBS ghee, and drops of 3 vanilla liquid stevia for flavor -not looking for sweetness)

had 1& 1/2 egg cups. the last 1/2 cup I put some maple syrup on it.

FBG 89, Post meal at 30min 89, 1hr 100. I'll be checking in 30min to see where I'm at.

Can any one explain to me why my FBG doesn't really rise at bkfst, but it does at my meals later in the day? its it the fat/protein ratio?

today I'll do a lunch of salmon burgers and fresh veggies...

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think you're more insulin sensitive in the AM. Maybe your pancreas gets lots of time to make and store insulin during overnight fasting?

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

so If I'm more insulin sensitive - that means I process it better in the am... but not at night correct?

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

so just did my last bg after breakfast its 84!

here are my #s for breakfast this am

FBG 89, Post meal at 30min 89, 1hr 100, 1hr 30min 84

I like that last # : ) I'd really like to get my FBG below 80...

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

yep, less insulin will affect your BG more in the AM than at night. No idea why that is though, other than that it is preceded by overnight fasting.

13. Kathy1967

Kathy1967 New Member

Hi Jack - I know this post is old but hopefully you'll see this question of mine! I've been tracking my blood glucose and ketones (got a glucometer that a very passionate lady named Stephanie "Keto" Person recommends in her numerous youtube videos) and my glucose is usually low-ish - 60's to mid 80's. Sometimes it goes into the 90's and it even went up to 105 which I THINK coincides with when I have a lot of protein - say 150 to 200 grams daily. I've been trying to keep the protein to around 60 grams daily to keep my sugar down but I wonder if only 60 grams is too low. My blood ketones are usually between 2.0 and 4.0 mmol/L which I believe means I'm in ketosis. Interesting that I've noticed if I do a 30 minute cold bath my blood glucose is lower than what I would expect even if I've had tons of protein. By the way, I keep my net carbs to probably around 15 grams and its from fibrous veggies like broccoli or brussel sprouts usually. My question is - do I have to worry if my blood sugar goes over 80 sometimes? I don't want to limit my protein - currently the protein sources are eggs from my chickens, shrimp, oysters, and probably too much grass fed beef! Also - if I understand things I've read in your forum it seems that in the winter blood glucose can be higher because it acts like an anti-freeze. Thanks for all of your freely given advice Jack!!!

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The glucose response can changed by the sun skin and retina signal......that is my N=1. In winter it always raises it......it used in autumn in nashville but it does not in New Orleans......I've learned this over the last 3 years.