1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Black Light Suggestions for my Gym Studio

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Jason Yun, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Jason Yun

Jason Yun New Member

upload_2018-12-6_8-58-33.png

I'm adding some black lights based on @Jim Laird suggestion.
    Was going to get these ones: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/86203/F-40T12BL.html

With the lights I have 3 sections of switches. Front, middle and back. The middle section I usually leave off all the time except when playing dodgeball with my youth clients.

I was thinking of either alternating the black lights with the regular in the front and back, or just putting them in the middle section and taking some of the regular lights out in the front or back sections.

Thoughts? Would black lights be the best for this atmosphere?

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3. Jason Yun

Jason Yun New Member

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

A broken window would be my answer.

Jim Laird, Theka and John Saf like this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jason.......This might offend you but I am going to tell you the truth.......I'd never go to this place.

You need to reflect on this.

If you want to help you cannot invite your members to hell.

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Please clarify.
    Are you referring to Jason's gym
    or
    "Well of the Sea," in the basement of the Hotel Sherman in Chicago.

??

upload_2018-12-6_12-49-21.png
    Time 3:30

upload_2018-12-6_12-55-54.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Cheryl. and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  7. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Gym outside, weatherproof equipment, or whatever you require. Of course a type of grounded floor.
    Sun, rain or snow, would be awesome to have a place like that.

Jim Laird and Theka like this.
  8. kris90

kris90 New Member

Curious about this. I think it has to do with lack of windows letting natural light in.

Right now my gym is in my basement. I have 9 foot ceilings and large windows. Natural lighting is not great, but when I lift weights, I open the window and let whatever natural light come in, and I usually stand where the sunlight can hit me between sets. For visibility, I use red incandescents and a black light. It's the best I can do for now until I can permanently set up my gym in the garage (which I've done before in summer and it was epic to lift weights with the sun shining on me).

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Great.
    There is a video (someplace on this board) of a guy doing his exercises on all four most of the time.
    That creates excellent core muscles and grounding.

Cheryl. likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm no workout monster. I've been working with my son on very basic deadlifts and kettlebell swings.

This is where we do it.

It may look like a nightmare to anyone with OCD, but it is a very intentionally created place. I walk up to the weights and look at the rust that develops on it and laugh. I improve with outdoor exposure while the weights slowly rust. This setup makes it very clear that the weights are my bitch and I'm no bitch to them. I will not be owned by my equipment and I will laugh at it as it slowly fails. I'm living matter and I improve when I'm exposed to the elements.

IMG_5059 copy.jpg

Charyam, Antonis, JanSz and 3 others like this.
  11. recoen

recoen New Member

@drezy my bar looks exactly like that! I do have a clean oly bar that I only take out when it’s sunny and clear :). Since having little man I have been mostly improvising and using him as a weight outside. As he becomes more mobile I have started copying his movements while on the grass with him (wow do we start with perfect form). It’s all fun to him!

drezy likes this.
  12. drezy

drezy Gold

Fat collagenous babies, like little man, are brilliant weights to carry.

13. recoen

recoen New Member

Yes they are! I become stronger as he gets bigger :). I carry him everywhere which seems to be an oddity these days. I see most children in a carrying device of some sort with their parent absentmindedly pushing. Most of the time their attention is on their phones and not their children. Also watching college students makes my day... I have seen so many run into street lights, stumble off of curbs, etc. the use of cell phones seem to be changing cultural norms as I am no longer allowed to look my students in the eye. Where do I look might you ask?... great question. But I should stop judging because I too could be doing the same.

shah78 likes this.
  14. JackieNewZealand

JackieNewZealand New Member

Have not read all of this thread but curious about where to purchase lights that may be similar to the ones in the Well of the Sea restaurant. Have read John Otts wonderful book and also seen the documentary on youtube and it appears that those restaurant lights kept workers happy and healthy. Does anyone know where to purchase similar light bulbs or light sticks? THANKS !

Cheryl. likes this.
  15. drezy

drezy Gold

16. drezy

drezy Gold

17. John Saf

John Saf New Member

18. Cheryl.

Cheryl. Grasshopper

Thanks @JanSz here is the entire documentary. Surprised that they knew this way back then!

recoen, Lahelada, drezy and 1 other person like this.
  19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

This video should be required presentation on
    inauguration of every American President, every State of the Union
    and once a month of every student in every American school,
    starting with kindergarten ending .....

Cheryl., recoen and drezy like this.
  20. drezy

drezy Gold

The cell videos are so well done and aesthetically gorgeous.

Cheryl. likes this.