1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Biparental inheritance of mitochondria

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by Lahelada, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

JanSz and drezy like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It is possible......but more studies will have to be done to overturn maternal dominance in this arena. There are methodology issues with the study.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I posted this on my FB page when somebody asked me the same question:

I said,

Do all your teachers have to be 100% right or is there room for improvement in their ideas? Was Darwin right about conditions of existence? Was Einstein right about gravity? Did relativity make sense in a quantum world? Was your mom always correct in her teachings to you? See Martin, you do not really understand Uncle Jack well enough.......no truth is axiomatic; they are all an approximation of what we believe right now based on the best data we have. What happens when the data changes? What happens in your own mind when this happens?

Jack teaches his tribe members to always have an open mind because new data has a way of changing the prevailing wind in science. Black Swan mitochondriacs are never happy with ANY
    settled science.

You'd have known that about Uncle Jack if you were one of his members........instead you chose the path of being his social media voyeur and thought you understood Jack's purpose and passion. Here is a pin to that balloon. I teach people how to think..........to overcome their poor education. Consider that your lesson today......FREE of charge. It might be time for you to actually join my tribe once you understand the implications of today's lesson.

[​IMG]

I have a sense others need to hear that message a lot more often too................

4. drezy

drezy Gold

Lol. Facebook: Where the typical depth of thought on display makes a Planck length look pretty roomy.

Leland Stillman, caroline and JanSz like this.
  5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

@Jack Kruse Thank you ! I think your answer here takes away a lot of ammunition from your detractors who are not as openminded in conceding to you .Not that you would or should care. ;) Very interesting that you see methodology errors.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

One last point.......even if this new data is true......it changes nothing about being a mitochondriac. It just means I need to know more haplotype and SNP data about Dad. That doesn't stress me a bit. In fact, it might help in some cases. It appears this new truth is not an all the time occurrence either. It is possible to happen but still rather unusual.

Christine_L, Lahelada, JanSz and 2 others like this.
  7. KalosKaiAgathos

KalosKaiAgathos New Member

From the abstract: "there are some exceptional cases where paternal mtDNA could be passed to the offspring."

Probably doesn't change much for 99,9% of people out there....

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Nope. This is why I laughed when I read it. Changes nothing.

Corey Nelson and Allin like this.
  9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I asked as we went from impossible to "it happened" The paper itself was edited by Doug Wallace himself, hence I attribute some importance to the finding. As Dr Kruse said it would need more targeted investigation,though, to ascertain how isolated the occurrence is and what the parameters are for it to occur.

10. Alexandru Zay

Alexandru Zay New Member

Thank you all for your evaluation. Even if the study is not important for what to do to have healthy mitochondria, it shows: We should wlak around with open eyes - especially when the sun is shining :)

11. Sergio Valadez

Sergio Valadez New Member

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/2018/11/26/can-mtdna-really-come-dad/

“Our results suggest that, although the central dogma of maternal inheritance of mtDNA remains valid, there are some exceptional cases where paternal mtDNA could be passed to the offspring,”-the conclusion of the scientists of the study in question. It seems that those exceptional cases are tied to mitochondrial disease. The people studied were not chosen at random but were specifically chosen due to suspected mitochondiral disease (which was believed to be tied to parental inheritance of mtDNA). In any case, as explained in the article above, is so exceedingly rare and so little DNA would have been transmitted that “paternal inheritance of mtDNA will not affect genealogical research”. Further, results “will need to be brought in agreement with the fact that maternal inheritance remains absolutely dominant on an evolutionary timescale and that occasional paternal transmission events seem to have left no detectable mark on the human genetic record”. If this is the case, then our 23andme maternal/mtDNA results shouldn’t be affected by this phenomenon.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 6:01 PM
    Lahelada likes this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator