1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Biohacking eyesight

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by NeilBB, Aug 1, 2014.

1. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on naturally biohacking eyesight for better visual acuity? Aside from DHA, nutrition and avoiding corrective lenses, sunglasses, too much computer time, etc. Has anyone used the "Bates Method" or similar resources or had significant success in this area either for nearsightedness or presbyopia? I am very interested in this personally.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Martha Ray and smart cat like this.
  2. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Talk about synchronicity…I was just floating around in the pond, with my glasses off, thinking that I would like to get back to reading the Bates stuff and pay attention to my eyes again and here is your post…but the short answer to your question is that I have noticed changes in my vision….but I haven't started any exercises, so it's due to other changes.

I think Nonchalant mentioned her vision improving too…..

I'll report back in a few weeks and let you know how the Bates approach is working is me...

smart cat and NeilBB like this.
  3. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I think its fairly obvious at this point that I am not going to come at you with anything scientific at all, but I used to wear glasses for reading, and for driving. My vision was not severely impaired 20/30 and 20/40. It is now 20/20 has been for a few years.

I also used to be very photo sensitive to florescent lighting and sunlight, spent a lot of time in sunglasses attempting to ward of migraines......if I don a pair of sunglasses now its just to look cool :cool:

Shocked my eye doctor.

NeilBB likes this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

5. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

NeilBB likes this.
  6. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

It doesn't seem that Bates was completely accurate in all that he said, but I wonder if he was directionally correct? There is a lot of interest in this area nowadays, and it seems at least somewhat plausible to me. Also, I wonder how much the nervous system can potentially compensate for subpar optics in visual processing...

I forced myself to go without either glasses or contacts for a whole day yesterday and although there was a lot of blurriness, I was able to function and my eyes felt a hell of a lot better than they usually do throughout the day.

brandie and nicld like this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If it opens your eyes to a new way is that a bad thing?

8. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Of course not. And I would love to be restored to somewhere near 20/20 without correction. Have worn glasses or contacts for myopia since 10 y/o. And now to make it worse, at age 46 I'm getting presbyopia on top of that which really really blows. If there's a way, I'm gonna find it...

9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

http://www.jacobliberman.org/ might be worth a look at. I read "Take of Your Glasses and See" and still have "Light: Medicine of the Future."

smart cat, Alex97232 and NeilBB like this.
  10. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Might be similar... z-health has something called the 'vision gym'.

smart cat likes this.
  11. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Thanks. I'm actually looking at those now. Many interesting ideas. Well worth reading.

While he believes that both can improve, he distinguishes between central vision in dim light (doctors test) versus dynamic functional vision out in the world. I can already think of several mechanisms by which "functional vision" might potentially compensate for poor central vision.

SeaHorse likes this.
  12. nicld

nicld Gold

I swear mine has been improving.

NeilBB likes this.
  13. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I just got shivers up my spine when I went on Jacob Liberman's site and found a testimonial quote in the consulting section from my old eye doctor Stanley Applebaum. I saw him briefly about forty years ago in my early teens. That was my first alternative exploration of working on my vision. Through exercises he helped get both my eyes working and focusing together . This helped a lot in school with things like spelling…I was always borderline dyslexic and still have to think about left and right…it doesn't come instantly. Clearly the connections between vision and bilateral brain function are ripe territory.

The Bates stuff has been reinterpreted a number of times, so the Wiki article is not reflective of what you would get from somebody today who teaches "Bates" techniques.

Very interesting stuff from Jacob Liberman….thanks Sue, you're my new north star for interesting books and people! Still waiting for my Staples book to arrive.

smart cat, Alex97232 and NeilBB like this.
  14. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Neil, I also feel better with my glasses off. I do have a sense of feeling better with contacts but not quite as much as without glasses. Feeling better could also have to do with not making distances longer and objects smaller.

NeilBB likes this.
  15. Clayton

Clayton New Member

NeilBB likes this.
  16. JMO

JMO Gold

I had LASIK surgery a really long time ago....prob not a good idea but didn't know back then. Night vision was always a problem (vit A recycle) spending the majority of my working life as a software developer next to a computer. Green Pasture Cod Liver oil made my night vision sharp and clear. I went off it several times and night vision declined and back on improved again so sure it was CLO. I'm increasing my DHA with seafood and paying attention to light cycles but it's going to take awhile....all those bad years aren't going to go away over night.

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Last year when I went to the eye doc, I was astonished when he said my prescription has not changed. But to me my vision was a lot better. Perhaps it is better in sunlight, not in a dimly lighted room.
    But this year it has gotten to the point where I don't like wearing my glasses at all. They change colors, somehow. Everything looks so "small" with them on, and I can feel my eyes strain to compensate. Perhaps they are over correcting.

This makes me think of the racketball class I had in college. I kept getting hit in the head, and my glasses would go flying. So I stopped wearing them. That made me even more uncoordinated, but I began to compensate after a while. I got better, and stopped taking hits, but I was reluctant to use my glasses again, because they would have thrown off my coordination again.

NeilBB and Lahelada like this.
  18. Inger

Inger Silver

yeah I got glasses in 4th grade but I stopped using them at 15 yo - took some time to get used to it tho as I felt so groggy in the beginning!
    i just like how the world feels and looks better without! My eyes has improved maybe 25 % since then too. I just use my glasses on special occasions when i need to see very sharp
    I have read about the Bates method and years ago I was meaning to do the stuff but I always forgot about it.
    I might give it a shot :)

NeilBB likes this.
  19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I dug out my "computer glasses" I used on my last jobsite. They are yellow and a full diopter less in strength than my usual glasses seen here.
    <<<<<<
    I used the computer glasses while driving and was amazed at the difference. My eyes could relax! A much better experience. Too bad they are tinted so they block some of the sun's blue light. I'll have to go to the eyedoc and see if my prescription should be reduced.

20. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I went half day without glasses,even went shopping. Not much of an aha event but pleasantly relaxing. Lots of colours in the supermarket ,more intense than with glasses,strange that.

nonchalant likes this.