1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Bio-hack coldsores. - Arginine and Lysine link

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Da-mo, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I mentioned to a friend of mine that I seemed to be more susceptible to cold-sores lately and couldn't think why - I thought it was when I built up a sleep debt.

Anyway, he remembered something about chocolate (knowing I ate a lot of it) and sent me the following links. Looking at the list of foods containing Lysine and Arginine it appears to me that some balance is required even within the template.

Immediately cutting the chocolate cleared up the cold-sores and now I try to include more of the Lysine rich foods to balance out the shellfish etc.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trav...ews_about_foods_to_avoid_with_cold_sores.html

http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorials/l-lysine_rich_foods.html

2. shah78

shah78 Gold

When you say "lately", do you mean since you stopped smoking? or before?

3. cantweight

cantweight Gold

In the same boat here. Nothing has erupted but I can feel it under the skin and my children have just had a swift and terrible bout of severely chapped lips which also lead me to the lysine link.

Just got results from a neuro/adrenal test and lysine did show on the low side so it made sense. A little digging led me to raw milk, raw milk cheeses. Pasteurized dairy destroys most of the lysine.

This made me wonder also about seasonality of dairy. We have a raw milk share....I have to pay for it and pick it up weekly and this whole summer it has barely been touched by the whole family...I was embarrassed by what we were wasting. Now all of a sudden everyone is back on the milk wagon....I love to watch this stuff play out, amazes me.

4. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Before - since eating Epi-Paleo - not surprising when you look at the food list you can see how it would be easy to get too much arginine or not enough lysine if you hit the shellfish, crustaceans almonds and chocolate hard like I did.

5. Kimber

Kimber New Member

Could this same idea be applied to canker sores in the mouth?

6. Inger

Inger Silver

Cool info. I used to get herpes a lot.... not lately! But my staple food is herring and mackerel.... great lysine/arginine ratio. Ok, my hazelnuts are low in lysine but I only eat these for dessert after a fish meal so it should even out...
    interesting that cheese is such a great lysine source.... i do love a raw sheep milk cheese once in a while.. maybe it is when my body crave lysine ;)

7. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I use to get cold sores yearly or multiple times a year.... Now that I do all I do.... CT, grounding, epi-paleo ketosis, lots of seafood, EMF protection etc. haven't had them in years..... One trigger food item for me was peanuts.... In the past if I ate extra peanuts or even tool arginine I would get a flare up.... Now peanuts are not a part of my diet nor is arginine supplements/ nos.... Other nuts or rather true nuts I don't have any flare ups..... Macadamia nuts are much better than peanuts anyway :)

Da-mo likes this.
  8. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I axed peanuts too - they are a legume not a nut.

Danco3636 likes this.
  9. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Is it possible to get rid of the herpes virus completely or is it true that once you get it you have it for life? (using a condom indefinitely kinda sucks!)

10. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

Just saying, a condom only reduce the risk of transmitting it.

11. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I'm noticing that the Lysine/Arginine ratio is a tricky one. Lysine =vasoconstrictor while Arginine= vasodialator. Lysine will prevent herpes but it really doesn't matter because you can't get wood anyway. Then there is the other extreme- lots of blood flow but herpes , headaches and heat.
    If we eat our fruits and vegetables in season this probably would take care of itself:)

Stephen W likes this.
  12. Melanie Procter

Melanie Procter New Member

I wonder....

Are cold sores a form of viral shedding?
    How is lysine part of the light story?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  13. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Not sure about this. I know you can have viral shedding without any form of breakout.

I'm not up on Jack's stuff enough to answer this accurately..:thumbsdown:

14. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Is it possible to eradicate the herpes virus entirely? This obviously can cause a real problem with future relationships! I know that the more we reduce viral shedding the less chance of it spreading. But can it be eliminated completely? I'm not buying the current answer that it can't. Sounds like Big Pharma propaganda to me.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Is it? Yes..........but in this world that would not be wise.

Josh Rosenthal and Cpt.Tired like this.
  16. Josh Rosenthal

Josh Rosenthal Charter member of Purple Angels Club

how does herpes virus offset our bad environment?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  17. Sun-sybarite

Sun-sybarite New Member

I take a spoonful of coconut oil everyday. It apparently inhibits viruses including Herpes simplex. I used to get canker sores or viral throat/ear infections often but now hardly at all.

18. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Lysine a vasoconstrictor because it inhibits nitric oxide? That’s what I’ve been researching as it replaces arginine.
    I believe I have issues of too mush vasodilation so I’m taking Lysine to see what happens. Thanks