1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Biggest Loser's smaller bodies

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hi Jack,

Someone was mentioning the biggest loser doing CT in Switzerland. Got me to thinking. . .the apoptosis of fat cells has always been such an issue for those losing big amounts of weight.

So I understand the 3 ways we know of to spur fat cell apoptosis, but I keep thinking of those 300-500 lbders getting down to mid/high 100's and being quite svelt. They clearly do not have the same composition issues that low carbers (for example) get.

How are they doing that? Are they causing the apoptosis or simply starving so their cells are relatively low-volume? Is there some reaction with the crazy exercise that can burst/kill the cells?

I am not looking for a way, I'm definitely on the CT wagon - just curious. Might help to point out why that kind of program is not good for optimal health. The post show gainers rate (according to an article I read once) is lower than general population, which makes me think they may actually be getting rid of some fat cells.

And in case you didn't see it, I was inspired by the webinar and did my first deep ct. 32 degrees/30 mins, no probs. Major detox immediately! So excited - except for the misery. But what a joyful misery this is. I relish it.

2. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

What do you mean by composition. All the people I know who have lost weight the low-fat, high grain, high exercise way, have ended up skinny-fat, or just plump (but smaller) ... lots of body fat, lots of loose skin, terrible problems keeping the weight off, and destroyed health in the process.

Maybe they can do it if in a program where every bite and move is dictated for them, but not IRL.

OTOH, I lost 50lb the low-carb, real food, no exercise way and have zero skin issues, great muscle tone, low body fat (and constantly lowering), and no difficulties maintaining (or even continuing), with dramatically improved overall health.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

If I could add to that MG: without famishing hunger.

4. Oh, I'm not saying it's without suffering - nor am I saying it's optimal nor achievable IRL. Specifically the biggest losers (I use those because you can SEE them and see follow ups after years.) Several of those folks ALSO have what looks to be very good body composition - which made me wonder what it is about what they are doing that could be effecting (or is it?) fat cell apoptosis.

The topic of the 3 known ways fat cells can die/go away came up this weekend. Unlike the low-carbers and the general population who lose by calorie restriction. . .In the interest of not dismissing outliers, and figuring out how they actually fit into the picture, I'm wondering if there is something they do that causes fat cell apoptosis.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is precisely the benefit CT gives weight loss folks. People do not realize it.

6. I think we all realize it! Any insight to if these folks are undergoing apoptosis?

7. Lanie

Lanie Silver

There are a couple of confounding variables. The folks on the biggest loser are working out 5-6 hours a day, including lifting very heavy things. Also, they're in the public eye. They may struggle to avoid regaining weight but force themselves to exercise/purge/whatever so they don't show up on the cover of the National Enquirer in a humiliating manner as having regained. For this reason I don't think they can be compared to the general population, who may quietly and miserably regain weight without much of an audience. It takes a lot of incentive to manage a weight loss with diet and exercise - hungry and tired all the time. Folks in the public eye have that incentive.

8. My query isn't about that, it's about fat-cell-apoptosis. Right now we understand that fat cell apoptosis can be caused by 3 things:

1. Zeltiq

2. Liposuction (mechanical death, but death none the less)

3. CT

Question has nothing to do with losing weight or behavior or what is optimal. I am not comparing to us or general population.

My question is, is there some metabolic process in what they are doing that could cause fat-cell apoptosis? What might that be since we think that fat-loss/losing weight does not do that. I think some of the studies I've read have shown that extreme exercise does not cause fat-cell apoptosis. In fact, fat-cell apoptosis SHOULDN'T be happening with what they are doing - yet there are a few of them that "appear" to have quite good body comps and may have had some fat-cell apoptosis

Unless at a point in starvation/exercise the body finally starts actually destroying the fat cells. To be clear, I'm not about to burst out telling everyone to go all biggest-loser, I'm trying to delve into the metabolic/biological reasons of FAT CELL APOPTOSIS.

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Could it be that we don't know everything that they are doing? Maybe some of them have had Zeltiq or Liposuction and have kept it quiet. That might be especially true for the "graduates". I don't think the actual show would do that but I guess it's possible.

10. Made me wonder if their swimming pool was chilly! Also, whatever it is - isn't with all of them. Also, since full-body lipo isn't really done, I don't think that's what happens during those last 8 weeks or so. Some of the best bodies are from those that go home towards the end, then show back up. I think they are also the ones that keep it off. Keeping it off COULD be sheer force of will for the obvious reasons, BUT doesn't quite explain where those darn fat cells WENT in the first place.

11. omg, it's probably factor X! ;)

Or the whole event causes some of them to have a certain reaction (adrenaline?) that toggles on the body to kill the cells.

12. JC2K

JC2K New Member

My recollection is that fat cells can get mighty small when empty. Doesn't mean that those with great body compositions didn't lose the fat cells though.

13. Sueville

Sueville New Member

In past seasons I have seen them on the show sitting in feed tanks filled with ice water.

14. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

I get the question Cavemam and I do think there is still a body composition issue even with the best biggest loser contestants....like someone previously said, they seem to be able to realy shrink the cells, but not totally eliminate them. They still look great, but there is still something I can't put my finger on that many of the contestants seem to display that is different. Its not optimal...but dang they work hard and do look amazing in comparison.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ok - I just finished watching the biggest loser [t was me who mentioned it yesterday] They had them jump in a frozen lake in the Alps. They cut a hole in the ice - I think they said the ice was 2 feet thick and 0 degrees. They went in for 30 seconds - in their thermals. only one of them did it today - the rest tomorrow. Shannon - the trainer - said they have never done this before. It looked gorgeous!!

but that is pretty darn cold! I noticed a couple of the trainers [the men] were just in t-. shirts

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

closed........