1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

BHRT experiences- pls share!

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by tweety, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

then you shouldconsider talking to them about reversing your dosing regimen

2. karicat

karicat New Member

Thanks Jack, I will.

They have already reduced my progesterone dose a lot (from the amount we used as a start, I had almost no progest), because around the third month of my program, I started having (and still do unfortunately, but at least milder and less frequent), what I call anxiety episodes, but I don't know what they are as they are new to me.

I feel something on my chest, like a pressure, feel hot, sometimes I've seen my heart rate go up to 90/95 bpm, my arms weak, but the most distinct thing for me is like an internal vibration on my head and upper part of my body, a buzzy feeling, very weird and very uncomfortable. At one time I was getting them at noon, evening, and night !! now, that is much much better, but I'm still waking up sometimes in the middle of the night with all these symptoms and it takes me a while to get back to sleep. And they are more physical than psychological, that's why I don't know if it is correct to call them anxiety attacks.

But I'll definitely discuss with them changing the progesterone timing. Thank you !!

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

reading this I'm thinking maybe there's something going on w/HPA axis that's impacting the thyroid. might be off here... but I'd push for an ASI, and take another look at the thyroid as well as the sex hormones.... I could be off... but your symptoms sound similar to others who've had adreanal and thyroid issues....

4. natural_girl

natural_girl Silver

That's funny I have always taken my highest dose at night too! I never told him I just reversed it myself. It makes me to damn lethargic during the day.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I think the next blog is going to take you down a rabbit hole some of you might not believe.......we start with a simple problem and end of with the King of Pop. Just wait.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

teasing BG9 already??????????

7. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I had a question for you experienced BHRTers which got swallowed in the website shift...Did any of you get a chance to read it?

Basically I'm wondering if I could experiment with progest cream for the next month while I wait for a BHRT Dr. to come onboard. I've been getting nowhere with the compounding pharmacist, my naturapath and regular Dr. So having been advised that I do need progesterone from recent labs and DHEA...what do you think about proceeding with over the counter creams? I'll hold off if told to, but I'm so ready to get this show on the road and fall is happening soon!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice...

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I think in the previous BHRT Thread - Colleen mentioned that OTC progesterone won't give you the support you need... I'd try to flag her down to see if she can answer it...

9. LinD

LinD New Member

So excited! I MIGHT have found a possible doctor. I was thinking of someone I know that might have a helpful tip and I was right. She wrote:

"Hi, just returned for my workout and have some spare time so I thought I'd give you what limited info I have regarding Docs. But first let me say, you look incredible these days!!

About 5yrs ago I began having several bizarre health problems so I sought out a well renowned physician at the Institute of Endocrinology and Preventive Medicine in Los Colinas. Her name is Dr. Marina Johnson. She performs extensive medical testing and the most detailed background history I've ever been though. She literally cured my IBS problems that I'd had all my life, discovered my low thyroid and a couple of autoimmune problems. She is the one who got me eating a paleo based diet and she believes in finding the root cause of problems as opposed to just throwing meds at them. I can't say enough good things about her.

2 yrs ago I switched to the FEM Center. They have 2 locations, I go to the one here in Ft Worth, my sister goes to the one in Colleyville. I like this one, she is not thrilled with the one she goes to because she says it's more OB/Gyn as opposed to wellness.

The only reason I switched is because Dr Johnson does not accept any type of insurance. You have to pay upfront and then file your own. I had UHC at the time and did manage to get approval for the visits to be paid as in network. However, they would always pay wrong and I had to constantly appeal (sometimes 2-3 times) to get the claims paid. I also had to call them every so often to get more visits approved which was an ordeal. got to be too much hassle and she is NOT cheap. I remember the 1st visit was around $5000 and you have to pay at the time of service. I hated leaving but I had girlfriends that spoke highly of the FEM Centre so I decided to try.

Fem Center - I see Dr Dan but I don't use him as my primary care physician. I see another Dr for illnesses. Dr Dan is good with wellness stuff. He monitors my hormones (I had to have a total hysterectomy back in 1986), I'm on bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. he also monitors my thyroid (I also have a low thyroid and take a compounded medicine), and he monitors and checks my vitamin levels and adrenal levels ect. The FEM center has specific docs and nutritionist that are paleo but I don't really get into nutrition with them. I feel like I read and study enough about that on my own.

I continue to struggle with autoimmune problems but I definitely feel better than I did 5-6 yrs ago. most recently I had the CSF leak repair which set me back a bit. when you can do nothing but lay around for several months it's easy to start eating garbage again, but I am now back on track.

I hope this helped some, keep me posted and I love reading your health posts! good luck with the new house, we just recently put ours on the market. my hubby is getting ready to retire and we're building out at PK lake. can't wait!

Call me anytime."

Sounds promising! While I cannot do the $5000 doc, I can check out the FEM Center. If I could afford the $5K doctor, I would go see Dr K in a heartbeat.

I did share with her this site and the blog. ;-)

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I am glad I asked. I am going to continue taking it mainly at night. My cortisol is high at PM so that should help that too!

11. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Thanks Shijin..I appreciate the help!

12. karicat

karicat New Member

Hi Gretchen, and thanks for your comments.

There is definitely something weird going on with my situation as these "anxiety" issues have diminished, but definitely not disappeared (I'm getting them every night though milder than before).

A couple of days ago I got back my cortisol saliva test results which I'll send to dr Dzugan today. They don't look terrible, but don't look very good also. And besides, I'm no expert and I need someone to take a look at them within the context of my whole situation. I hope Dr Kruse will be able to help me when I have my consult with him.

I also had some labs done in Peru a couple of weeks ago, and based on dose and my huge anxiety issues, I'm off the 7 keto dhea, increased nature throid (1 grain now), lowered progesterone, and almost no triest.

Next time I travel to the US in October I'll get Dzugan's complete lab panel again (couldn't do the whole thing here, it was even more expensive than the us, and they didn't have everything that is needed) and some of the tests Jack has recommended as I can't find them here in Peru.

My thyroid levels are still low, my p:e ratio still low (but getting better, when I began my program, my total estrogens were 4417 pg/ml !! and progesterone 0.4 ng/ml). But I think Dr Dzugan decreased my progesterone in order to help me with the anxiety problem.

So, it has been a very bumpy road for me, but nevertheless, I'm feeling better than before starting my program with Dr Dzugan. So I'm quite optimist that within the right time and the right help (thanks Dr Kruse for all the info), I will get where I should be.

13. karicat

karicat New Member

Seahorse, I'm not sure about experimenting with the progesterone on your own. I've had many issues with my bhrt and if I would have been doing it on my own, it would have been even worse as it can be quite confusing for someone who doesn't have the experience and knowledge required. And if you will see a doctor in one month, maybe it would make sense to wait a little longer to get help. I definitely know the feeling of wanting to do something about our issues and feel better as soon as possible, but sometimes it is better to wait in order to do it right.

But, perhaps your body is not as sensitive as mine, and I'm taking a lot more things than just progesterone.

Good luck :)

14. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I'm going to start the DHEA but hold off on anything else until I can see this new Dr. Thanks karat

15. differentstory

differentstory New Member

Just wanted to say that I was doing the P, E, and T on the inner arms and after a month, it seemed to stop working. So I tried it vaginally and got a very different result. It is now the only way I will use it. Someone on this forum suggested it and had a link to a doctor that said it should be the only way to apply it. The article mentioned something about how applying it to the same muscle area over and over will just saturates(?) the muscle and it will no longer enter the blood stream - that is all from recollection and my recollection isn't as good these days!! Maybe someone else has a link to the doc's website? Anyways, for anyone struggling, go to Walgreens and buy a syringe and trying applying it vaginally a few times and see for yourself. I could see a total different after the second day.

16. tweety

tweety New Member

So maybe I missed this if someone answered, but I couldn't see it on here- can you use the same topical cream vaginally that you would apply externally?

I thought to try this originally, but when I asked the pharmacist about vaginal application she told me she thought vaginal application was bad, but she wasn't answering in regards to the cream itself. I never got the answer from her as to whether or not the cream was ok to apply vaginally.

17. LinD

LinD New Member

Question. I am considering seeing a dr who uses saliva testing for hormones. Is this normal and/or recommended?

Other thoughts/suggestions or should I post this elsewhere?

18. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Saliva testing is preferred for cortisol not so much for sex hormones - the blood testing is preferred.

19. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I am using progesterone vaginally. The rest I put on the skin of my inner arm.

20. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I would like more input on this too. I have had 2 docs who do this and I can't figure out how they know where you are hormonally wise cuz it saturates the results and you have no idea (or at least according to the last one). My new one does it and we haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of it yet. I also don't want to be doing a ASI everytime they want to see where I am. The saliva is very confusing to me. Other docs are very successful using blood, why can't they? The answer I have gotten is they don't know how much is bound or unbound by using blood.