1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

BHRT experiences- pls share!

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by tweety, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Progesterone often helps thyroid a little too! :)

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yes it does.......

3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

It helps sleep somehow.

4. tweety

tweety New Member

I still am unsure about progesterone cream and dosing. What I have is 3% cream, and have tried 1/2mL per day and 1mL per day. So the 1mL should translate to 30mg. Correct? But some use a 5% cream and am I right that there is also a 10% cream?

Does anyone use the topical cream 45-60mg per day?

Colleen, if you are on here I am still interested if you are on 150mg of topical cream. Is this the 10%cream?

also, how do I know if my progesterone receptors have become less sensitive and what does one do about that?

5. I think Colleen uses the oral micronized, which is what I use. I currently take 100 mg but probably going to up the dose. I had blood drawn yesterday to see where I stand w/ my hormones.

6. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Mine is 10% and each ml is 100 mg. I use about 1.5 ml a day. :) Try rubbing it on the inner part of your upper arm. I have found that to be far superior to any other site and I've tried them all.

7. Ooops sorry Colleen I thought you were on oral. Have you ever used it vaginally? Was the absorption different?

8. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I believe when you see progesterone cream mentioned with the Dzugan ladies---it is really a gel that is an oil/water emulsioni that also contains permeation enhancers. This is different from the creams that others typically get from their doctor that is sometimes in a versa base. There is a better absorption with this than cream.

I used the vaginal suppositories made with a capsule in olive oil base. I just never really felt good on them.

9. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I use 5 % progesterone cream, 1 ml morning, 1 ml evening. That's 100 mg per day. My progesterone blood level is still quite low, although I have gone from undetectable to 1.4 ng/ml (early follicular level). I am switching to inner arm (per Colleeen's suggestion) from inner thighs for application...hopefully that will make a difference.

10. kathylu

kathylu Gold

That's interesting. I have been wondering about the cream vs. gel formulations. I originally had a script for gel and asked the doc to change it to a cream after the compounding pharmacist suggested a cream base...maybe that wasn't a good idea.

11. There is a particular gel that I had read about called PhloJel that is used for many hormones. I wonder if that is what Dzugan uses.

12. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

Mine are a gel but they look like a cream. I don't know exactly what is in the gel part though.

13. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

I tried it orally and my migraines got way worse. I tried it vaginally and it didn't get into my bloodstream right. :(

14. Thanks Colleen, I appreciate your advice and experience.

15. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Yes, I had my doctor made the plo gel... Looks like a cream. Got the information from Dzugan's book. I am going to start the program as soon as my labs get done.

16. Thanks freshveggies. I have Dzugans book but haven't been through the whole thing. I am using it more as a resource to look things up so this helps.

17. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I loved the book. SO different than the other 50 hormone books I have read

18. tweety

tweety New Member

So for the ladies on a strong dose, all the docs and pharmacists around here are under the impression that 30mg is as high as one can go. Anything around 100mg would be considered insanely high!

For those of you whose dr's have prescribed the stronger cream and higher dose- what are your particulars if you don't mind sharing? I am 34 and not menopausal, and I think my age and situation are keeping drs from feeling comfortable with strong doses. Is menopause a factor in prescribing higher doses of progesterone?

I am gaining and gaining every month with the cream. I am supposed to start today, and even though I have not added the cream I have already jumped up in weight and bloating. It only happens around day 15, which is when the cream gets used. On one hand I want to try a higher dose and see if it helps, but I am a little (ok, a lot) afraid of gaining even higher amounts of weight.

I think my doc is open minded though. She prescribed DHEA for me, wanted me to start on 5mg for three mos. I mentioned I already started it and was on 50mg daily! :) Her response was, ok if that works, go with it. She didn't admonish me, and was fine with my decision. So I am thinking when I decide what I want to do with progesterone she will go with me on it. I just don't know what it is I want yet!

19. tweety

tweety New Member

Thanks Colleen, by the way. I am applying it to my inner arms when I do apply.

PS All the info on the internet insists being on too high/strong a dose of progesterone makes you gain weight. Not if its too low a dose. I can't decide if this is more CW regarding BHRT or what. I am thinking it is...

20. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

You said: I am gaining and gaining every month with the cream. I am supposed to start today, and even though I have not added the cream I have already jumped up in weight and bloating. It

I would take this as you are already estrogen dominant that is why you are gaining and bloated. That is exactly what happens to me. That is why I feel I need progesterone all month long. Did you post your estrogen and progesterone labs? Would like to see them.

By then it is hard to overcome the estrogen dominance from the first half of they cycle if you wait until day 15 to add in progesterone. I went through this too. So I know how you feel. I would litterly go up a whole pant size.