1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Best tests or test for Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Beverly, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Beverly

Beverly New Member

Hi,

Right now I am doing a gluten challenge. And boy is it ever! I have never felt worse. But I have also never felt better too. I am finally doing something pro active where my health is concerned and I feel that I am on the right path this time. Full of excitement.

However, I look like a bloody pufferfish, my fingers and face are so swollen.:eek: I am supposed to do a full celiac panel in 3 weeks but that seems far away with the sx I am getting. I see other lab tests recommended here. Enterolab and cytex?

Could someone please let me know what they would recommend. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Enterolabs and Genova/Metametrics GI Effects. Not familiar with cytex.

as part of your full celiac panel are they doing a biopsy as well? that's the an inclusive test for celiac....

3. Beverly

Beverly New Member

Thanks for the info,

Enterolabs has a gluten iga test I want to do. Hopefully they ship to Canada, I will ask them. I am waiting to order tests before getting some feedback on my labs I posted in the Optimal Labs in case any other testing is recommended.

As far as biopsy, no. Just the panel.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. Beverly

Beverly New Member

Thanks Hemming. Jam packed with helpful info. I learned a lot.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

cyrex arrays are the best in my view

7. Hope

Hope Gold

Also, whatever test you get, be sure to get on the dpi paleo/leaky gut Rx and so on to help you heal too.....as fast as possible. Just my $0.02

8. Jude

Jude Gold

Hope what does dpi stand for please?
    Thanks.

9. Hope

Hope Gold

Jude, ugh, so sorry! My auto correct does this and I missed it. It's Epi-paleo...

Oh, and I should not have said 'as fast as possible'....

10. Jude

Jude Gold

LOL.....Obviously, my brain fog couldn't work out the obvious! Thanks.

11. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

The biopsy is great only if you have been eating gluten. If you have not, then it is worthless...

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

100% true... the reason I asked, is she's doing a gluten challenge - eating it for 3wks before running her labs... IMO if you're going to do that, might as well do the biopsy as well...

13. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

A biopsy (done via a scope with anesthetics) is invasive and expensive. Not sure if 3 weeks of eating gluten is enough to damage the villi that quickly if she has not been eating gluten. That would be a good Ask Jack question.

What I have learned is that if you test high doing the IgA then there is no point in further testing including a biopsy because you obviously have a gluten issue that is not going away. We all want that confirmed diagnosis of a yes or no including myself which has been inconclusive; but, since I have the gene and my daughter has it, I realize I need to stay gluten free no matter what. I am 1 step away from celiac if I "don't" have it already.

14. jib

jib New Member

Are they best because of the # of different arrays that they offer, or some other reason?

15. Beverly

Beverly New Member

Thanks Dr K.

16. Beverly

Beverly New Member

Thanks for the info Hope. Good to know.

17. Beverly

Beverly New Member

Thanks for your help. Questions for you. I will be doing a full celiac panel through my gp. Is an IgA part of that? And I notice enterolabs Iga test is a stool test. Is that a more sensitive test? The celiac panel I am having done is just blood tests.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  18. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Hi Beverly. Sorry I can't answer that as I don't know what the panel consists of and there are many out there. Just call the office and ask the nurse what is all included or ask when you go. Don't ever be afraid to question anything when your health is concerned. Always remember they work for you!

19. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

https://www.enterolab.com/default.aspx
    Beverly, There is a lot of really good info on gluten issues on this website. If you have a chance, browse thru it.

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

The blood test for celiac is good for when your small intestine has already been perforated by the gluten (turned into swiss cheese). The ....um food/poo seeps into the body cavity and the body launches a huge fight with the large proteins and other toxins that now invade the blood supply.

The fecal test for celiac is good for a small intestine that is still relatively healthy. The blood will not have gluten antibodies because the small intestine is still holding in the food. There may, however, be antibodies inside the intestine to fight the effects of the gluten, and the fecal test will reveal those. Before the intestine gives way.

So a blood test is good to rule out a huge problem. I have taken both tests. My blood test showed a tiny amount of antibodies, well within range, while my fecal test showed that there was a very large amount of antibodies patrolling my gut, though I had rarely eaten wheat for a couple years, and my last bite of wheat had been 4-5 months earlier.