1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Best light bulb for bedroom at night?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Eilee, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Eilee

Eilee New Member

I am trying to get a bulb for my bedroom at night and confused as to whether I would want a red bulb or a black bulb? Also confused whether I would wanted incandescent or LED?

Also, any links to specific bulbs would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You can use a UVA light 13 W or 26 w black bulb and a infra red bulb that they sell in home improvement stores for infra red sauna's.

You dont need the bulbs to be close to you either. In fact it would be more wise to have them further from you.

3. JasonW

JasonW Silver

So no concern about any blue light from the black bulbs?

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Salutary Light

The positive thing is that we do not have to wait for tomorrow’s inventions: we can start right now in improving the artificial lighting conditions, if we respect the chronobiologic effectiveness of the different lamp types. Chronobiologically effective blue light does not always mean healthy; in fact in most cases it means an ROS stimulus to the RPE. Depending on the intended purpose it might often be more nonhazardous to use the chronobiologically neutral light sources. Avoiding mercury- based light sources and white LED lights (both show high color temperatures) may be a rough rule of thumb. Another sign for unnatural light is the difference between color temperature and true temperature.

You worry about blue light in any light after dark............that is why you need eye protection if you see any light at night. Why do you continue to make the same errors in judgement?

In a good black light there is very little blue. Not sure buy a spectrometer.......stop speculating or relying on someone else's numbers, factory or not.

jwhb77, nicld and JasonW like this.
  5. Eilee

Eilee New Member

I found a 23 W black bulb (sunlite) . Would I want to sleep with that on all night ( the IR bulb too) or could that be problematic?

6. JasonW

JasonW Silver

Spectrometer ordered

7. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Aren't the things like £1000??? Care to share a link?

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Before you buy,it does not detect UVA/B from artificial sources as it cannot "Read" through glass . Natural UV yes.

seanb4 likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

always shoot for the sun...........Its clear in Q & A's

11. JasonW

JasonW Silver

jwhb77 and seanb4 like this.
  12. JasonW

JasonW Silver

13. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Thanks for the links, don't think my phone will be able to handle it though, it's very old android...

14. ALEXIS TUDOR

ALEXIS TUDOR Gold Member