1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Beginning My University Education

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Eli Avital, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Pablo

Pablo New Member

At this moment in my life I´m going all in for Jan´s suggestion and avoiding Drezy´s (not actually avoiding it, but acknowledging it is easy to get seduced by the promise land where you are happy ever after... which I have yet to find). I could be wrong. Most of my life I had been thinking the complete opposite, kind of the "follow your dreams, follow your passion, things will be great then" paradigm.

In my 3rd year of law school I had this point- actually at the same time as my health hell was literally exploding - when I was just about to quit, I felt everything was pointless, super boring, etc. Part of it was my obvious neurotransmitter and hormonal imbalances, but I think there was more to it. Next summer I read this book and totally switched my perspective: "So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love" [Cal Newport] https://www.amazon.com/Good-They-Cant-Ignore-You/dp/1455509124

The main message is not sexy at all. My take from it was: develop yourself so much and become so good in one or various areas that are useful for people and provide them a ton of value, even if they are not really that enjoyable to begin with and even boring and tedious, that you get to a point in which people need you skills so much that you can bargain and have much better working conditions (much more flexible and shorter schedule, more money, etc.).

I would connect that with other 2 thoughts:

1-By acting that way it may be easier to get more money and more bargain power to be able to choose you location and schedule which for health conscious people like us IS SEXY
    1- Changing your awareness and focus on what you are doing changes the quality of your experience. Meaning I do think it is important to get into that "flow state" drezy was aluding to, probably even necesary for a really meaningful life. But what I am saying is, what if we can make a daunting, repetitive, boring or intellectually exhausting activity a flow experience. Then there is nothing to fear IMO. You first go into the struggle phase until you get into flow and feel awesome and find some meaning https://www.huffpost.com/entry/flow-state-what-it-is-and_b_9607084

I´m still figuring things out...this may not be useful to anyone else, who knows. we´re so different!! Listen to your gut, it knows some shit. Take care :)

Eli Avital, JanSz and drezy like this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Make sure that you retire early.
    Sooner, better.
    Unfortunately for me, I came to the promised land late, at 31 years old. (with $10)
    So I was able to retire 27 years later. At 57yo. Now in my 23rd year of retirement.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Do you have a job? if so - you could pay for your own membership?

Have you seriously thought about taking a year off and travelling? So much to see, so much to learn and experience.

4. Eli Avital

Eli Avital New Member

Currently no job.
    I actually have been living the last year in Israel away from home. I have lots of family here except for my parents and siblings. ive been learning Jewish religious studies here. Planning on returning at the end of April. I will most likely get a job when i return and begin university in September.

5. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

A sweeping statement, particularly for anyone living in the UK. :)

I have 3 children and 2 have got degrees at University, one went on to do a masters in Europe, and one is at university now, currently doing a year in Spain. One took a gap year between college and university, and set up his own business that he rolled out big time when he graduated. As parents we could not fund them completely, and all have, or are accruing student loan debt. What we have managed is supporting them to the extent that they didn't need to take jobs to support themselves or fund the other opportunities available at university. The UK system allows for graduates to repay the loans at a rate dependent on their incomes when they graduate. As their incomes increase from things like promotion, they pay the loan back at a higher rate. Become unemployed for a while, or stay home to look after kids etc, they pay less and there's a threshold under which none is deducted. Basically its an income tax supplement, with its own rates and exemptions. If they go to university for the experience, but at the end of it would rather be in a low paid job that makes them happy, they can go to retirement age without repaying a bean. Of the two that have graduated, one expanded his gap year business immediately after graduating, and for one it gave the opportunity to apply for a dream job, that was only open to university graduates. For a lot of jobs the degree subject isn't relevant, it shows a future employer the level of learning you are capable of. One is now taking law with a view to becoming a lawyer, but if he changes his mind his degree will open a lot of other doors. All have picked subjects they enjoy, all have benefited from the university experiences in terms of travel, friendships etc. Wildly different degrees, wildly different interests. Learning to scuba dive … finding a new passion in martial arts ....

Having not fully funded it, my pension pot is safe, and if I pop my clogs before spending what would then be the kids inheritance, they can pay off their student debts early if they want to. :)

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Why?
    What about your husband?

7. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

That aspect is fully considered and agreed and forms part of the instructions in our wills. Safe to say his pension pot is safe, and we hope to spend both pension pots together for as long as possible. :D

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Now, I can breathe again. Thank you.
    On second thought.
    But you live in the trailer, and your kids are making big bucks?
    Oh, those selfless mothers.

9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

Not at all because I live there part time because I want to, not because I have to. Instead of a large 5 bed house we've swapped to 2 x 2 bed apartments, one we live in the winter in, and the other my kids have used when they were/are students. One ground floor apartment, the other the floor above, close but separate. If anything its selfish, not selfless - I don't do their cooking or cleaning and they don't get a say in our tech rules, and no ALAN. One more to fly the nest. :)

JanSz likes this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I have a religious question.
    That question is to practicing Jews, Muslims and other peoples who do not eat pork for religious reasons.
    Many peoples are low on their thyroid hormones.
    Available medicines are synthetic (T4 or T3) that are hardly sufficient.
    Natural preferable medicine is made from the thyroid gland of pigs.
    So, basically people consuming it are eating pork.

How to deal with this?
    This question comes around relatively often, if there is something written about, that allows these people to eat pork, I would appreciate the reference to it with a link.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Following post above.

EpiPaleo (per @Jack Kruse ) diet will make people eat pork and shellfish.
    How to alter it so it would be acceptable to Jews, Muslims and others that have religious reasons in this area.

Pablo likes this.
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Eli Avital
    I assume that some religious rules were developed to help people live thru the day.
    Until recently one had to cook pork thoroughly and carefully, to avoid Trichinosis.
    Possibly some rules can be relaxed or explained away.

13. Eli Avital

Eli Avital New Member

well according to some, if it a life or death situation according to a doctor, you may take the medication made from something not kosher. but a person can not just take it as a preventative measure.

14. Eli Avital

Eli Avital New Member

I personally don’t eat shellfish as it is not kosher. But I do load up on the fatty fish such as salmon and sardines.

15. Eli Avital

Eli Avital New Member

Unlike Christianity, Judaism does not change a single law that was written in the Old Testament, if it says don’t eat pork, we don’t eat it and cannot just change it when we feel it is no longer necessary.

16. Pablo

Pablo New Member

I´m $10 right now at 25yo so if I make it at 40 it´d be damm good deal.
    People don´t think that far ahead but why not. I´ll read some personal finances too which I think it´s important (money tends to go away as much as gets in).
    My uncle worked his ass off in business from 25-35 and then retired. Will try to get his damm secrets!!
    Thanks for advice,much appreciated from people ahead in this journey :)

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

There is a topic that you may want to study (and post your findings, here).
    It goes like this:
    Lots of already sick people have excessive DHA and EPA.
    Should they eat food that is loaded with EPA and DHA,
    or
    should they do something else first?

//////

18. Eli Avital

Eli Avital New Member

Wait, what!!
    I thought DHA was extremely important? What happened to that?

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I was hoping you your "Wait, what!!".
    This is the first "Wait, what!!" I am hearing, while posting this message, on this board, for many years.
    ----------

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Mitchell97 and Eli Avital like this.
  20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

And the problems, the high DHA & EPA appear in, happens to math the (same set of ill people) that are currently advised to watch diligently and modify their nnEMF exposure and Circadian Rhythm.

At the minimum,
    I would advise,
    to least test Fatty Acids (as advice #1), before looking into anything else.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    They (you know who), are already ahead in that testing game.
    They bought out or opened new laboratories
    that regardless of your results, advice to eat, fish, shellfish (and especially) fish oils.

So, before you test, you have some legwork to do.
    ----------

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020