1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Basic Lab Work

Discussion in 'Optimal Reset 2013' started by Dr Tim, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Dr Tim

Dr Tim New Member

On this page http://www.jackkruse.com/new-years-challenge-youre-invited-to-a-community-wide-90-day-optimal-reset/ it states "What do you need to commit to in order to participate in this 90-day Optimal Reset? … Draw three basic labs at the beginning and end of the 90-day challenge."

On this page http://www.jackkruse.com/what-are-the-optimizing-labs/ sixteen different basic labs are listed. This set of 16 labs are the "core lab set for optimization." Which 3 are best to start with? Obviously, from patient to patient this can differ, however, I am thinking it will serve the community well to have a general rule of thumb that can easily apply to the majority of people interested in the Optimal Reset 2013. Just trying to make this easy for others to follow.

"LAB PANELS:

1. VO2 Max assessment (cardio pulmonary findings lead to a work up if needed.)
    2. Initial visit DEXA with body comp. Optimization a DEXA scan to include body composition scores. F/U visits I use BIA assessments to monitor progress and limit radiation exposure.
    3. Neuro cognitive battery of tests to assess processing speed, response speed, memory , learning, and attention repeated annually.
    4. Chemistry 20
    5. Liver function testing
    6. Serum Iron, TIBC, Serum Ferritin and Iron % Saturation
    7. Lipid panel: VAP and/or NMR analysis
    8. Homocysteine level
    9. Complete CBC with differential and platelet count (sometimes an Ivy bleeding time)
    10. Hormone panel includes (gender specific)……serum and salivary cortisol, Total testosterone, Free testosterone, % Free T, DHT, LH, FSH, Estradiol (E2) high sensitivity, DHEA-S, PSA, IGF-1, Consider based upon history testing levels of progesterone, pregnenolone, melatonin, serum and urine Osmolarity, Prolactin levels
    11. Complete thyroid panel with antibody screening (TPO etc)
    12. Complete Urinalysis (women get beta HCG if they menstruate)
    13. Highly Sensitive CRP (Not a regular CRP)
    14. Complete Vitamin D panel
    15. Omega 6/3 serum test (for severe findings consider tissue assay)
    16. Fasting serum insulin and HbA1c assessment"

Thanks

Tim

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Tim

here's you post... at least I see it.

previously we posted that the 3 labs your looking to get are DHEA-S, hsCRP, and Vitamin D (25hydroxy)

you have access to Salivary cortisol and DHEA which is good - and would also work in place of the DHEA-s. I think Jack was just going for these 3 via blood b/c they can be drawn inexpensively by the individual w/o much hassel.

3. Dr Tim

Dr Tim New Member

4. ashryn

ashryn New Member

I had some blood drawn today, but it turns out there is no one in Australia that can do a o6/o6 test or the CO2.. So we left those out. They are going to bill me for the RT3 and possibly some parts of the lipid panel. Apparently no labs in Oz do salivary cortisol, they only do a 24 hr urine one.. The person drawing the blood had to look some of the tests up and then ring someone for advice.. She said some of the tests were odd ones.. Ahh well. A least the big 3 are in there...We'll see what comes back.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Healthscope and Nutripath do salivary cortisol

6. RWR

RWR Gold

I had the VAP package labs from Direct Labs on 2-4-13. This includes the VAP, HS C-Reactive Protein, and Homocysteine. I have been taking 2 grams of Niacin daily for the past 6 months, to lower my LDL. I am 71 years old and eat a ketogentic diet, go to bed early, do not drink alcohol, can not eat gluten and take supplements. Here is the lab results.

VAP Package
    Collected 2-4-13
    LDL Cholesterol 98 mg/dL <130 01
    HDL Cholesterol 88 mg/dL >=40 01
    VLDL Cholesterol 15 mg/dL :love:0 01
    Cholesterol, Total 202 HIGH mg/dL <200 01
    Triglycerides 67 mg/dL <150 01
    Non HDL Chol. (LDL+VLDL) 114 mg/dL <160 01
    apoB100-calc 74 mg/dL <109 01
    LDL-R (Real)-C 85 mg/dL <100 01
    Lp(a) Cholesterol 9.0 mg/dL <10 01
    IDL Cholesterol 5 mg/dL <20 01
    Remnant Lipo. (IDL+VLDL3) 13 mg/dL :love:0 01
    Probable Metabolic Syndrome No No 01
    HDL-2 (Most Protective) 36 mg/dL >10 01
    HDL-3 (Less Protective) 52 mg/dL >30 01
    VLDL-3 (Small Remnant) 8 mg/dL <10 01
    LDL1 Pattern A 2.3 mg/dL 01
    LDL2 Pattern A 41.6 mg/dL 01
    LDL3 Pattern B 28.6 mg/dL 01
    LDL4 Pattern B 12.4 mg/dL 01
    LDL Density Pattern A A 01
    [______________________][_______][______*_______________]
    Pattern B Pattern Pattern A
    Small, Dense LDL A/B Large Buoyant LDL
    C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac 0.82 mg/L 0.00-3.00 02
    Relative Risk for Future Cardiovascular Event
    Low <1.00
    Average 1.00 - 3.00
    High >3.00
    Homocyst(e)ine, Plasma 8.7 umol/L 0.0-15.0 02
    Lab: 02
    VAP Cholesterol Testing - Life Extension

7. RWR

RWR Gold

I forgot to add that my vit. D was 53. I had the D test done by Grass Roots Health. Last Winter it was 72. Maye the Niacin caused it to be lower.