1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum. After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum. Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis. Sorry for the Inconvenience, but we hope you understand that this is needed to prevent the community from being ridden with malicious users!

Baby toys

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Butters, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Hallo,

do you guys have some suggestions which toys you can buy for a child 6 months+?
    Some relatives want to make some gifts.
  2. Penny

Penny New Member

Anything that helps their sensory perception - I love the whole Montessori method:
    http://www.montessori-on-a-budget.com/2013/04/top-10-things-for-montessori-baby.html
    http://www.dailymontessori.com/montessori-materials/montessori-toys-gifts/

You can't go wrong with wooden blocks and anything soft -
    Maria Montessori said don't give a child anything to do unless you are 90% sure he can successfully do it - it was great advice really:)

We loved the bouncy chair - just don't get one of those rolling chairs -
  3. drezy

drezy Silver

I'm with @Penny .

To back up what was said. Think textures that hands and a mouth could appreciate: parallel lines, wavy, spiky(within reason), smooth, abrupt depth changes, gradual depth changes, stepped depth changes. Don't discount warm and cold as well as still and vibrating. My child took to cold object so much that we threw random toys in the freezer. Cold items kinda makes sense based on this whole site/science.

Might as well see if your baby can explore textures as well as mini-ct at the same time.
  4. Inger

Inger Silver

Check out it does not have any chemicals in it... many toys have :tears: the baby will put it in the mouth etc. Babies want to taste everything!
  5. Penny

Penny New Member

One of those ride on fire trucks was a great toy - and then there is the veritable wagon -
  6. drezy

drezy Silver

*Warning* I'm ahead of 6 months a bit here, but it's worth mentioning while I've got it loaded in memory

My boy is 12 now, but I loved being a dad to a young child. I'm a little ahead of the 6 month age, but one of our favorite activities was "identify the spice". I do quite bit of cooking and have so many different spices.

Name 5-15 spices and then have the child smell them. Then, later, have the child smell the spice and name it. Sensory + lingual skills are involved.

Even though my boy is 12 now, he walked into my dad's place when my dad was making "maple" bacon and informed my dad that "That's fenugreek, not maple." My dad was taken aback a bit until he read the ingredient list t find out that, sure enough, fenugreek (since it smells like maple but is cheaper) was used.