1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Baby Steps

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Scompy

Scompy Gold

When I learned that morning UVA is present year-round in any zip and provides dopamine production via the RPE, I knew i'd have to get my son outside each morning for our own sanity... to boost his mood daily. :) The trick is not relying on behind windows, but doing something he wants to do outside. For me, that translated into nerf-sword fighting in the front lawn for 15mins on the weekends. I've already noticed a huge improvement in the past few weeks.

2. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I was just going to say the same thing - "I'm not surprised" :thumbsdown:. It really is unbelievable.:mmpft:
    I just came back from my doctor today. He wants to try another combination of meds that I have already tried but I'm really not into it at all. I have lost faith in this polypharmacy madness. Each med just adds a new side effect and new health problems. I'm just going to use the bare minimum so I can function 'ok' while focusing on the REAL healing:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lahelada likes this.
  3. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

Welcome to my world...

Cpt.Tired, Lahelada and Jenelle like this.
  4. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I just want to say thanks again for everyone's support. I hear you... I hear you about the dopamine, getting the kids outside more, etc.

I think their reaction to the thought of moving 10 hours away from "everything they've ever known" is completely normal ... low dopamine or not. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins... all left behind. They have a couple of friends here (not a bunch, and yes of course they can make new ones) ... They have classes they are involved in at the art center, and they love their instructors. We live in a college town, and my teenager has had it in his mind that he would really like to go there. That is only a few years away for him.

Ultimately, it is up to my husband ~ and he would be losing 20 years of seniority with a company that is 100% based on seniority. Going back to being "the new guy". The first one to get furloughed if business slows down. He is no longer 18 years old and single like he was when he started this career...... We have a family to take care of. He is looking forward to retirement, and he is halfway there. Saying that this would be a huge leap of faith is like saying that the sun is hot.

We've talked about it a lot, but he does not seem as interested in the idea as I am. I have decided to stop talking about it and see what happens. I am feeling a little depressed about it now, because I was so excited to begin with. I'm confident that this is my low dopamine talking ~ so, no need to point it out. :(

I took my son today for the blood draw for Vitamin D and food allergy testing. I am really interested to hear those results. Will update when I get them.

I want baby step #14 to be that I am drinking better water ... but I have not figured out the details of what "better water" would be. We have refilled our 5-gallon jugs at the www.primowater.com station for many years:

[​IMG]

I bought some jugs of "spring water" ~ but I wasn't sure if that is actually better? Corn-fused.

I have developed a serious aversion to oysters, and I am not sure what to do about it. I haven't eaten any for several days. I reached the point of not being able to finish my breakfast, and giving it to the dog. Ideas? I have actually considered buying a flavored protein powder so I can add them to a shake and drink them. (I do not currently use any protein powder at all.)

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  5. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

...and mine too.
    I find that if I am in a decent, semi-motivated mood I don't have much problem with raw oysters in the AM with the BAB.
    But most of the time I am just too exhausted to force myself to eat 50-80 grams of protein in the AM from real food. I default to protein shakes and cottage cheese:mmpft: because I am just too lazy (yes, very low dopamine).o_O:confused:
    I definitely find that I feel better during the daytime at work if I have eaten lots and lots of protein ESPECIALLY the night before. There are these "gates" (or "time windows" would be a better word) in which you absorb and assimilate protein at a much higher rate than normal to build up your neurotransmitter supplies. Jack talks about it in his monthly webinar on the "epi-paleo prescription" from a few years back. I think one is upon rising and one is after 4 PM but they can move around if your circadian rhythms are off.
    Jack says "Light is the best gate"
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/organic-cation-gate-timing-can-it-shift.16660/

Sorry Jenelle, I think I kind of went off topic a bit
    I completely understand your husbands situation- My company is shutting down permanently on April 1st. We will all be out of work. I had 23 years seniority, great pay, 6 weeks vacation, union protection, benefits - really quite spoiled. My training has been very specific for that place (electric motor winding- I know..."what's that?" exactly.Only a few places in North America do that kind of work. Poor career planning =low dopamine).
    I think some low dopamine can be offset by good education (I'm just thinking out loud here)

Back to your question (sorry..I just had a cup of coffee so I'm rambling..momentary high dopamine)
    I would get some protein powder just so you make sure that you get enough protein for neurotransmitter synthesis. It is great for when you are feeling unmotivated. If you get some powder from New Zealand would be better quality whey.
    I also take apple cider vinegar with my protein (when I remember) to help digest it. When we are under stress (which is most of the time) our stomach does not produce enough stomach acid to digest protein. Apple cider vinegar helps stimulate stomach acid and also helps to create a more alkaline environment in the body in which pathogens don't do well in.

Jenelle likes this.
  6. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thanks for your post -- all of it -- but this ^ part really spoke to me yesterday. I have no problem getting enough protein ... but I do wonder if adding ACV would help with the digestion of it. I do take a digestive enzyme, but feel bloated often ~ hmmm, mostly in the mornings after my BAB.

And interesting what you bring up about stress ... I have often been frustrated because I can do ~just fine~ with a certain breakfast every other day of the week, but if I am trying to get out the door, for an appointment or something in the morning -- it is almost guaranteed that I will be bloated & stomach upset. I have figured out lately (after reading Dr. Perlmutter's book, Brain Maker) that my gut flora literally gets pissed off when I am stressed (LOL) ... that is the way I am picturing it in my mind, anyway. But now I really wonder about the stomach acid thing, also.

I have experienced this for almost as long as I can remember. In school, I got to the point where I would just not eat breakfast because I did not want my stomach to be upset on the bus. In later years, I got to the point where I would just not eat lunch, either, because I did not want my stomach to be upset at school. I was IFing in high school, without any real intention of it ... I just knew that I felt better and had my stomach under control when I waited until after 3:00 (when school was out) to eat.

Anyway, don't worry about rambling here ~ I appreciate the time everyone takes to share your experiences... because you never know what may stand out to someone that they really need to hear.

My oldest is having some KILLER success with niacinamide -- and this is not a child whom I really would have thought needed it! :thumbsup: Apparently he's still been feeling a lot more social anxiety than I'd realized. The upset stomach part of it went away when we switched over to Paleo -- 3.5 years ago. But now he feels like he is really coming out of his shell. It's kinda crazy! We were at Costco yesterday and it was the busiest we have EVER seen it -- by far -- and he was grabbing onto the shelves and doing pull-ups, trying to climb poles for exercise, etc. It was hilarious. Normally, in a super crowded situation like this, he would be like Batman in the Lego Movie: "I hate this place". If you haven't seen the movie, you won't get that reference, and now you gotta see it. ;) He has talked to me (a lot) about how he feels better with this supplement -- and it was totally his idea to start taking it for himself -- so just know that there is a 14-year-old out there who is listening & appreciating, as well.

I did buy some protein powder at Trader Joe's yesterday. I was looking for something chocolate flavored, but with stevia instead of artificial sweeteners. I'm sure it's not top-quality, but really I was just looking for an acceptable vehicle to get the oysters down. Well, today I put five of them in a shake and, holy crap... I don't think I can make myself do that again, either. Lol. It's not low dopamine or laziness for me -- it's the smell/flavor/texture, no matter what I do with them. These new ones I ordered from Amazon are more "fishy" than the others I had. I will just have to keep working on finding new ways to get them down... and I will probably not order them again.

Cpt ~ I have seen you mention cottage cheese a couple of times ... And I hope you don't mind me throwing this out there: I really wonder if you have ever completely cut out the dairy? Like... completely... for 30 days or more? ...If you haven't, I'd love to see you try it.

One of my favorite books that has helped me along my journey is The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. She talks a lot about having an allergic reaction to dairy, and how that can affect your mood. From page 137: "Most common allergic mood reactions: Irritability, angry outbursts, glum lethargy, teariness, hyperactivity, stress, depression. Allergic moods could hit within minutes or any time in the twenty-four to forty-eight hours after exposure." {Then there is a section about the physical reactions.} Then, "Other common allergic reactions: Low energy and sleepiness (especially right after meals), joint pain, achiness, poor concentration, addictive cravings for the allergy food or for sweets."

I have definitely figured out through my own experiments that, while I can consume dairy and not suffer any horrible, immediate reactions -- I DO feel better overall without it. There is no doubt about it. This is part of why I haven't even owned any protein powder for awhile. At one point, I realized I can even be sensitive to ghee ~ which is supposed to have like 99% of the proteins removed. I do still use some. But when I do choose to consume dairy, I am aware that it is not doing anything great for me... and probably even causing a little harm.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  7. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

Are you guys using un-denatured whey?

Re: oysters, what about salmon as substitute? I buy smoked and throw it in my eggs and it is awesome.

8. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Rob, the small can of protein powder I bought is crap -- I'm sure of it. I just wanted to try it, thinking if I could disguise a bunch of oysters in there, it may be a fair trade-off. Nope. ;) I don't really want to use protein powder at all. I've been eating whole food & no powders for many months now.

I do eat salmon -- no problem. And tuna. And sardines. Just struggling with damn oysters.

Cpt.Tired and Scompy like this.
  9. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I have tried cutting dairy out before for long periods of time and I did not notice anything change. I have cut down lots on grains and milk anyway. For me its all about brain fatigue. I can make a healthy meal when I can think clearly. But when I can't it causes more stress than its worth so I try to eat from an easy protein source.
    I used to have that book "The Mood Cure" but I don't know where it went. Maybe I lent it to someone. I'm so glad that your son is getting some results from the niacin:thumbsup:. I have been getting on and off results from it too but there is so many variables in my life right now. It has been an emotional roller coaster since my company announced closing. All my co-workers are like family to me since I've worked with them for over 20 years.

Apparently Niacin is a really good treatment for Lyme disease too: (1:05:03)

Queen of Elves likes this.
  10. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I think nearly all protein powders are a stupid choice now. Why? Many reasons.. For me, #1 is that they are full of glutamic acid (says this right on the side of the container) and unless they process them at really low heat, you've now got a can of glutamates (salt-version of glutamic acid, and possibly different isomers both L and D-glutamate). No one admits this about protein powders because glutamate is what helps people get addicted to buying it over and over. Same reason why you see 'beet powder' showing up in a lot of processed foods, and why nearly every food high in sugar also has high glutamate with it for the addict-synergy. Sounds conspiracy theory, but in my body, it's a real event that I can see in my central vision if I get too much glutamate at once. I've got a visual glutamate-meter in my head, although it's also tied to calcium effluxing.

Salmon and sardines...all good there. If you want protein, why not the food of the gods: shrimp. Look at the crazy protein content on the side of shrimp.

11. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

Agree & low heat, un-denatured is only what I use and I don't use much. A 5lb tub last me 6 months.

I limit my intake of shrimp simply because the way they are caught is so destructive to the environment. Basically they drag a chain net along the bottom killing everything in it path to chase the shrimp up into a net. But, that's just tree hugger me. LOL.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  12. shah78

shah78 Gold

Trader Joe's will refund your money. (Is my memory correct, on that nugget?)

13. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

If you have the energy to prepare real protein from real food you are far better off. Scompy is absolutely right about the powders. If you can, avoid them.

14. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thanks for everyone's feedback today! :)

I will keep the protein powder... It's not Trader Joe's fault that I thought a chocolate oyster shake would be tasty. haha. There were only 12 servings in the can. I may use it as quick protein after lifting sometimes, and then be done with it again. Or I may decide that it doesn't make me feel good ~ and in that case, I'll pitch it. I hear you all that I can do better with real food -- I know this, and it is not a new concept for me in any way. I conquered the Shakeology addiction long ago! ;)

Cpt ~ I understand about the brain fog and not wanting to cook sometimes. I am trying to feed five of us and a dog, as healthy as possible, keeping in mind all that I have learned over the years. And all of the things I am still learning. Sometimes it is really exhausting. A huge (HUGE) step in the right direction has been for me to stay strictly ketogenic. When I start eating carbs... man, it all starts to go downhill. I eat carbs and want more carbs. Period. The things in my kitchen start to not even look good to me *at all* because I am back to craving junk. I have been through this cycle many times now, and all I can say is that when I stick with keto ~ pretty much everything in life is better.

Well, darn, I was hoping a 30-day trial of no dairy would be the magic wand! ;) I had to at least throw it out there.

Cpt.Tired and Scompy like this.
  15. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Are you planning on cycling off your keto a bit as summer approaches?

shah78 likes this.
  16. shah78

shah78 Gold

I'm going to try the 300 grams/day of local carbs this summer. @Danny is "pimping" this theory and I'm going to yield to "peer pressure". My guess is that it will work perfectly (MAGICALLY), like every thing else Dr. Batshit Crazy TELLS US TO TRY. :)

Penny likes this.
  17. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Interesting approach...! I wasn't planning on that high a carb load, but more like pushing it up to around 60-80 grams a day to see how the body reacts, assuming I'm getting good UV.

18. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I think I'm already doing that. o_O

I had four straight keto months from November - February. But I don't do much dairy, and I don't do well with nuts, seeds, and butters of these. I also seem to have serious problems with too many FODMAPs ~ so that leaves me without coconut products, avocado, garlic, onion, chocolate...... Wow, the more I type, the more depressing this sounds, huh?

This article has a chart about halfway down... the foods in the yellow and red columns tend to cause me problems when I eat too many of them:
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance.html

I sort of backed myself into a corner where I was down to just a handful of options -- and then the old favorites start really sounding good. I've had a few nights here and there of Mexican food, including chips & salsa. One night with a few slices of gluten-free pizza. One night with some fried rice. We are going on a trip next week, and I will probably have some things that are not on my usual menu, also.

During the winter, when I was feeling so great on keto ~ I thought that I should really eat that way forever. Then I came here and I see that Jack is not recommending keto year-round, and it makes sense. The big post at the beginning of the MB & nicotine thread seemed like it spoke to me, even though I am apparently not smart enough to decipher it completely.

The bottom line is that I am having some carbs at night again, but not every night ... and I don't like the intense cravings that sometimes come along with that choice ... but so far I am handling it okay.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

NeilBB has been doing this for two years now that he is in NOLA.

20. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Yeah, but yesterday all I ate was 2 dozen raw oysters and 4 pounds of boiled crawfish. Well. And a little bit of shrimp and crab gumbo..

Cpt.Tired and Josh Rosenthal like this.