1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Baby Steps

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

I think this has more to do with hours in the daylight. short day/long night = winter. Long day/short night = summer.
    Imagine how confused our bodies must be with long days of artificial light (no uv) with short nights 365?

Jenelle likes this.
  2. Josh Rosenthal

Josh Rosenthal Charter member of Purple Angels Club

Keep pushing your needle towards discomfort and enjoy the transformation!

Jenelle likes this.
  3. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Rob... my body is confused... no doubt about that! o_O

I really want to keep making baby steps toward feeling better... but it can be hard when you're not even sure what the next step should be.

I've been LCHF/keto for 3 straight months... Then I come here and start reading some of Jack's stuff, and I see that he seems to be pretty down on Jimmy Moore and fellow "gurus"... One post, in particular, really hung me up last night, and I read through it over and over again, trying to decide how it applied to ME. Please read the first post here:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...ck-results-nicotine-and-mb.17445/#post-187523

All I know is: My brain was fried after reading so many things like this last night, and we ordered Mexican food. I ate chips and salsa for the first time in 3 months. I even ate the fried shell of my taco salad... which I never do. Am I going off the rails on the crazy train? :eek:

Haha. Nope. I feel too good on keto to make this a nightly thing. ...Been there, done that.

Interesting observations, though:

1) Instead of feeling brain fog and sluggishness (which is what this meal would have done to me in the past) ~ I got up off the couch and walked on the treadmill while we finished our movie. Mentally, I felt good.

2) I had ZERO desire to eat anything in the evening after that... because I was uncomfortably stuffed... which is a feeling I have not had for the past 3 months.

I most definitely have been doing the "blue-light-and-eating-at-night-thing" that you are warning me about. Whether it's nuts and chocolate, or just a handful of olives ~ and/or tequila and sparkling water... I am rarely done eating after dinner.

Now, part of that ~of course~ is that I stay up too late. Work in progress!

4. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Okay... Baby Step #6 today is going to be: Getting oysters in my body, one way or another. :thumbsup:

I bought a can of Bumble Bee "fancy whole oysters" at the store, folks. That's as far as my thought process has gone on this one.

I have never had oysters in my life... and, quite honestly, have probably had an aversion to most seafood... because I was NOT raised with it. It's out of my comfort zone. Anyone want to help change that?

Do I want to eat the whole 8 oz can? Is that overkill? ...I honestly have no idea. :glasses:

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jimmy's issue is he lies.......and issue two is he is big time blue light toxic. So you have to understand he sees the world with low dopamine and poor melatonin recycling hence the reason his is infertile and has no testosterone.........food cannot fix this

6. Marbear

Marbear Gold

I eat a 4oz can of Crown Prince Natural oysters every morning for breakfast. I prefer those because most of the other ones are in cottonseed oil and just don't taste as good. I prefer raw over canned especially since canned is not ideal. Eat as much as you possibly can but someday you have to try raw - with some lemon and horseradish!! I seriously could eat raw ones until I puked if I had access to them! Ok now my mouth is watering for raw oysters.....

Starfish Prime and Jenelle like this.
  7. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Okay, Jack... I gotcha.

His book, along with Phinney & Volek's, and Dr. Perlmutter's, are what convinced me to give ketosis a try ~ and gave me the confidence to continue on that journey because I have felt good...

But I still feel that there is a lot of room for improvement. There is only so much you can do with food. I have been very focused on the food part for the past few months ~ and not so much in some other areas that I am beginning to realize/remember really do matter.

Jeanne likes this.
  8. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Okay, the ones I got are: oysters, water, salt.

Do you just... eat them? Like, out of the can?

...I am just not sure what to do with them...

9. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

True story:

The can had a recipe involving cream of mushroom soup... but I didn't have time for all that...

I opened the can, stared those dudes down, picked them up and inspected them all around... Realized I may have a textural issue with them, and could totally see myself gagging.

Decided to blend them in the blender with a random can of Amy's cream of mushroom soup I had in the cabinet.

Yes. I drank my oysters. Room temp ~ with cream of mushroom soup. And I don't even like mushrooms.

There has to be a better way. :eek:

And no... I did not drink the entire concoction. I think my husband will warm up the rest of it later, eat it as a SOUP, and enjoy it!

10. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Baby Step #7: I am reading the book! :)

Favorite part I've highlighted so far:

"For all our evolutionary leaps forward, we are still prisoners of our paleocortex, the older, less-evolved brain that resists change and favors emotional whims and desires. The human conundrum is that often our habitual actions are driven by emotion instead of intellect."

...Yeah...

11. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

I use a fork...just eat them. They are awesome.

12. Robert Haas

Robert Haas New Member

How about salmon? Irene has a problem with oysters and refuses to eat them so I cook her salmon 2x a week.

13. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I do eat canned tuna, sardines, and salmon... I don't buy fresh/frozen fish of any kind very often, due to cost ~ and the whole "farmed" thing REALLY pisses me off. It's so much cheaper ~ but at what cost? My latest understanding is that it's better not to eat it at all, than to buy that crap anymore.

I will keep working on oysters, because they seem to be "king" around here ~ and I am pretty determined to give it a shot. I mean... if you could have tasted what blended oysters and room temperature cream of mushroom soup tasted like... drinking it, like a shake of some kind? {shudder} Lol. Well... I got 'em down! ;)

Robert Haas likes this.
  14. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Just looked back through this journal ~ and I can say that I am keeping up with all of my baby steps, so far. :thumbsup:

Baby Step #8: This morning, as soon as I got my BAB finished, I went outside in the 53º wind and sat and tried to eat it. I faced the SUN, and I took off my glasses.

My hair kept blowing in my face, and my food was getting cold at an alarming rate (haha) ... so I only stayed out there for a few minutes ~ but that was a few minutes I have NOT done any other morning this winter!

It's actually a pretty BIG step for me to commit to this each morning. But I am going to do it.

On the subject of glasses ~ I've had them since first grade. I got contacts when I was 11 years old. My prescription is pretty bad: Legally blind, according to my optometrist: at -6.75 and -7.00.

I have seen folks posting here about correcting their vision, and I am intrigued. I have never understood WHY mine was so bad to begin with.

On a related note: Over the weekend, as I was reading about a woman here who was using ice packs on her eyes, it sparked something in my brain. My left eyelid had been a little swollen and painful for a few days. I had stopped wearing my contacts. I figured I had some sort of infection and would eventually need antibiotic eye drops. (I haven't had anything like this for many years, but that was the solution back then.)

Anyway ~ I thought, what the heck? Can it hurt? So I got a bunch of ice cubes in a snack-sized bag, and I started laying it across my eyes. The first time, it was just a few seconds and I had to take it off. My eyes watered like crazy and I thought, "Hey, this is good... maybe it will help whatever this is drain out of there."

...Well, I really think it did! I did this over and over again, as many times as I could stand it. It was really soothing in a weird sort of way. And by later that night, I realized it was feeling much better and I went ahead and put my contacts back in. No trip to the eye doctor required. :) Thank you, forum!

Marbear and Jeanne like this.
  15. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Is there a specific series of blog posts I should be reading from beginning to end, regarding DOPAMINE?

When you realize that you have a million things to do, but you're so overwhelmed and pissed off about it that you don't want to do any of them... so you sit down on the couch and get lost in the internet, instead........... Low dopamine, or just, life?

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Ubi 24 for dopamine........

Jenelle likes this.
  17. shah78

shah78 Gold

Throw your contacts out ASAP. :)

Starfish Prime likes this.
  18. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Are contacts that much worse than glasses?

I really can't stand the feeling of having my glasses on my face all day. I reach a certain point where I just have to take them off.

19. shah78

shah78 Gold

Take your glasses off,even better. UV "barebacking", baby. :)

20. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Did you see that I am legally blind without them, though? :glasses:

I am intrigued by what I am reading here... but I've still got stuff to do... places to drive... kids to take care of...