1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Baby Steps

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

My very first black light ~ it's sort of a big deal. :thumbsup:

Wow... Cannot get my picture to post. No idea what's up with that. I give up. :thumbsdown:

Anyway ~ it's pretty! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I just got to listen to Dr. Wunsch's link ... Thank you, Dr. Kruse. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

3. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I've been wanting to post this link for anyone interested.

I found this set of LED tealight candles on Amazon -- 24 of them for only $11.99. This includes batteries -- and for an extra $2.00, you can order an extra set of 24 more batteries.

To us this is a crazy deal! These are the same batteries that go in the glucometer, ketone meter, ear thermometer, my husband's step counter, etc.

These are perfect for having just enough light in any area of our home at night where it is needed, but not too much. There are so many, you can have several in each room. We just used them on our camping trip, too. I mean, the possibilities are endless! :thumbsup:

The light looks exactly the same to me, with and without my blue blockers. It is very similar to candlelight, and in fact ~ they even flicker a little bit like candles do.

We've had these for several weeks now, and all of them work. None have run out. I am very happy with this purchase!

http://smile.amazon.com/Instapark-B...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03

4. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

It's officially May, and I have decided to have no caffeine for the month.

I have cut out coffee completely in the past ~ but I don't recall ever going completely caffeine-free. I will have no green tea, black tea, or chocolate. I will not even have decaf coffee. It is time for a break, and I feel confident in my ability to do this since I am getting more of ALL of those 6 things you've been posting. :thumbsup:

I'm posting about it here because I may want to journal about it. I want to explore the methylene blue I got from Blue Brain Boost... I want to use all of the other things that I know will give me a boost when needed. I want it off the list of possibilities for awhile. I don't want to just be a creature of habit, doing things "just because".

I started coffee again 2 years ago ~ on spring break in March of 2014. Clearly, it is an addiction ~ much like smoking was. I'm finally at a point again to say "no thanks"!

...When we are doing anything that doesn't always make us feel good, you have to start asking some questions.

"Does this help me be the best possible me?"

If the answer is no, then you have to ask ~ why are you doing it?

Scompy likes this.
  5. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

On the video game subject:

I sat down in the sun one day and wrote out some new rules. Last night (end of April ~ no video games month) ... I gave them a choice.

1). We proceed into May with new rules ~ including things like sunshine and grounding that must be completed, or don't even ask.

2). Play as much as you want for one day -- (this is not something they have EVER gotten to do) -- and I will give you $20 for the month to spend on imaginative toys like Legos etc.

There was not much contemplation. They both admitted that April "really wasn't that bad" and that they didn't really miss a whole lot. They'd much rather go with option 2. :)

So... This is not something I will do every month, forever, but it gives me another month to evaluate the situation and decide what we will do for June.

I positively love where their focus has been lately... It's like we are ALL looking at the world with new eyes.

caroline and fitness@home like this.
  6. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Day 1 of no caffeine yesterday went... "Okay".

The good: I felt very calm... An old friend from high school sprung a visit on me (like 15 minutes notice) ... Which might have really stressed me out if I was all jacked up on coffee.

Instead, I'd had a drop of MB, sardines, eggs, spinach, coconut oil & ghee, one L-Tyrosine, a walk with my husband in the sunshine, and I was in the middle of lifting weights when she called. My dopamine was in a good place. I chose not to give too many fucks, called her back and said sure ~ come on over and see me in all my sweaty, no makeup, no shower GLORY! Haha. It completely took an unexpected chunk out of the middle of my day, but my anxiety was low and I was able to just sit, relax, and talk. :thumbsup:

The bad: I had a headache in the later part of the day and ended up having to take a pain reliever... Which I almost NEVER do. I also felt foggy and like the day went on and on... But I honestly think part of that was being short on sleep & a hangover. :thumbsdown:

Slept like 11 hours last night to make up for it! And woke up feeling great. Even though there is no sun, I am sitting out in the chilly gloomy weather and eating my BAB ~ which I actually wasn't pissed off to stand in the kitchen and cook. All good things. Have a great day everyone!

Cpt.Tired and fitness@home like this.
  7. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Love your profile picture!

Jenelle likes this.
  8. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thank you, Dawn! :)

We took him camping in November when we first got him (2 mos. old) ~ then we took him back to the same place this past weekend (8 mos. old). We tried to get this in the same spot, but not sure:

[​IMG]

And, WOW... Just typing that made me realize that yes, our "winter" really was 6 months long. Ugh. :(

nicld, Cpt.Tired, Inger and 1 other person like this.
  9. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Border collie? He's beautiful.

Jenelle likes this.
  10. Inger

Inger Silver

those pictures are beyond cute :) :) how he is looking at you ;) :)

Jenelle likes this.
  11. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Shetland Sheepdog or "Sheltie".

We get asked about Border Collie a lot... But I think they get bigger. Pretty sure Rocket is about done growing. We hope so, anyway. We can still pick him up and carry him around like a cat. :)

And thanks, Inger! He has caused a LOT of disruption in my life... But just like another child ~ wouldn't trade him. Lots of laughter and joy, as well. For all of us. :)

12. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

My head already hurts today due to gloomy weather & no caffeine.......

Now I am trying to figure this out, and would appreciate any help:

My husband talked to Comcast today about getting regular, wired internet -- NOT wi-fi. It appears that we are able to get this, but we need to purchase two modems (or else pay their rental fees, which we don't want to do).

We need one modem for just internet, which seems easy enough. I am looking at this one in particular:

http://smile.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TC-...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But then we need another modem, with 2... ports? One to be used for internet, and one for their Voice service, so we can have a home phone. This is where it got confusing for me. I am searching on Amazon, but I'm not sure what I am actually looking for. Help? :glasses: Anyone?

13. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I decided to go without caffeine when I was feeling really good ~ and the FIRST day was sunny.

Every day since has been dark & gloomy. Rainy, cold, windy. And I am SO feeling it!

A large part of why I wanted to cut it out is due to stomach issues... Otherwise, I would have had a cup of coffee by now, for sure. But I am committed to this month & seeing if there is a difference.

I cannot imagine feeling this way all the time. I am telling myself it is temporary, like when I quit smoking, and that it will get better.

Many times I have thought of getting those nicotine lozenges (I hated the drops & finally threw them away). Maybe I will do that today.

14. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

You are doing better than me. I still have my 2 cups a day. The last time I cut caffeine out the main thing that I noticed was that my energy levels during the day were more stable and my mood was more predictable. But I wouldn't say that my mood improved. Just way less highs and lows:)

Over time I would imagine that it would result in better productivity.

I always make sure that I have fat with my coffee, preferably coconut oil if I make it myself. This has really helped me with the fluctuating energy levels that coffee can bring.
    And NO sugar! (But you know that ;))

15. nicld

nicld Gold

Jenelle likes this.
  16. Penny

Penny New Member

I cut out caffeine pretty easily for awhile by just adding decaf to the regular until it was all decaf - didn't miss the heart palpitations one bit... :) But it's pretty sunny here and I was doing MB - and still am -

17. Penny

Penny New Member

18. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Thanks, ladies, for the links!

I haven't updated for awhile on this thread ~

My caffeine-free experiment lasted 9 days this time. NOT all of May. I should know by now that when I start making announcements about certain "time period" goals, it is not going to have the desired outcome. What my body is telling me is much louder than that little voice that says, "But you said all of May..." Yeah. On day 9 I no longer cared, and just wanted a damn cup of coffee. :)

19. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Coffee for flavor, Mg or for the caffeine? If it's for the caffeine & Mg, it may mean you're around more nnEMF than you know--at least that's my experience in my world. :)

20. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I did not even realize coffee is high in Mg. Thanks, Scompy!

I do love the flavor, but that day in particular was CLOUDY ~ and yes, I had had some tequila the night before and was probably hungover. I sat on the couch and was on the computer and I can *clearly* see now how that affects me. I could not take it anymore, and I asked my husband to bring me a cup of coffee.

Lately I have been avoiding the computer more and more because I can FEEL the difference. I think it messes with my blood sugar! Does that make sense to anyone?! My gut says it makes perfect sense... Somehow. Anyway, I have things I *need* to do on there sometimes ~ and have to really make myself sit down and do it. And for a short amount of time. And outside, grounded and in the sun, if possible.

*This is a complete awakening and turnaround for me.*