1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Baby Steps

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jenelle, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Starfish Prime

Starfish Prime New Member

Glad to see you back and about Jenelle! Hope you and your family had a fabulous Easter and are enjoying spring.

I always loved that pic-a barn I used to ride at had that pic framed and hanging in the tack room as a reminder. (There was a sign in the arena that said something about two steps forward one step back isn't losing ground, it's the cha-cha and the only way to get anywhere is to keep on dancing. Paraphrasing, it was much wittier than I am able to recall. ;) )

Dia, shah78 and Jenelle like this.
  2. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I need to remember this on the days that I feel shitty because I have my good days too:)

Inger, shah78 and Jenelle like this.
  3. shah78

shah78 Gold

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  4. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

A couple of small updates, posted from my cell phone, out in the sun. :)

1) After hanging out around here for a little while, being inspired by discussions with Scompy, and reading some more things about video games in a new book I am reading, "Why Isn't My Brain Working?" ~ I decided to make April a month of no video games for the kids. We have always limited their time, but we have never removed them completely since the sneaky little blankety blanks wiggled their way into our home several years ago.

I can't say that all of a sudden they are angels, never argue or get on my nerves... But I CAN say that I love having that option removed from the equation. They are finding lots of other things to do... Including more time outside, as the weather is finally warming up more and more. I probably have a lot more to say on this subject, but typing on my phone is limiting. So I will just say "this has been GOOD" and "thank you" to all who have been supportive and helpful (you know who you are!)

I haven't decided what we will do when May comes around.. I am thinking of a few different options. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

2) Wi-fi is disconnected, as of yesterday! For now we are using Internet through our cell phones only, but I am not sure this is a viable long-term option. (And I am well aware that it is still not the BEST option.) But it is a step in the right direction, to not have that blasting through our home 24/7/365 when it is clearly not needed. It also has instantly made us all aware of how/when/why we are using the Internet, because our usage is being counted instead of unlimited. ;)

5. irenehaas

irenehaas Irene Haas

So glad you are pulling the plug on video games and encouraging more time outside! You're a good mom, my friend. Can't wait to hear the progress report. :)

6. Dia

Dia Gold

Happy to see you're back @Jenelle ! Missed reading your journal.

Jenelle likes this.
  7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Good to see you back.

Jenelle likes this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

we all are trying to keep working at it ....at our own pace and in our own way.

Jack has given you and all of us 5 simple steps to an optimal life on the preceding page .....live them

9. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

@Joe Gavin ~ if you are out there ~ I have been meaning to post here and tell you thanks for this. I really appreciated the visual.

"Happiness is not a destination. It's a journey. An inner journey. The more you look outside for "complete happiness", the more ephemeral it becomes. We only have NOW. If you've got one foot in the past, another in the future, you're just pissing on the present."

http://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck

^ That link is awesome, and I shared it with a few people. :)

(I am not able to reply where I found this ~ so I had to say it here. Thanks again, man. Good stuff! :thumbsup: )

10. Joe Gavin

Joe Gavin Face Everything And Rise

You're welcome! I'm here! Glad you liked it Jennelle.

Jenelle likes this.
  11. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

It is probably not a bad idea to go back to the older "wired" video game controllers when they do play the games again. :mmpft:With an extension cable so they aren't too close to the T.V.
    They'll get over it:)
    It's all about baby steps;)

Jenelle likes this.
  12. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

^ I'd like an extension cable that reaches to the backyard, personally. :thumbsup:

Cpt.Tired and fitness@home like this.
  13. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I've been having a can of sardines for breakfast every morning, and that really makes me feel good.

Today, the pull tab broke off -- so I had to pound on it and pry the lid off with a knife -- only to discover another pull-tab lid underneath that one! o_O

So strange, I had to share:

[​IMG]

The weather is warming up, the sun is out, and my days have been good. Coming out of the winter slump every year makes me feel like a completely different person.

Not that long ago, I remember I wanted to send a picture of our fence in the back yard to a friend ~ but I couldn't even make myself get up off the couch at that moment to go take a picture. NOW, I am hardly sitting down. The difference is unbelievable........... and I just have to say this is a huge part of WHY I got so emotional when we had the chance of moving south. Because I know how badly winter affects me.

Anyway ~ things are better for now.... and I hope to be able to combat the SAD much more effectively when winter rolls around again.

Every day, when I get out of the shower, I have my Sperti lamp in the bathroom with me ~ and it shines while I brush my teeth, moisturize with coconut oil, etc etc. I have been setting a timer for 20 minutes and alternating positions every day.

Just beginning to really think about grounding. Right outside our back door is our little fenced-in area for the dog. Well, I went on out there today in my bare feet & trimmed the grass... deciding that if I stepped on poop, oh well. haha... I think I somehow managed to avoid it. :thumbsup:

Cpt.Tired, caroline and fitness@home like this.
  14. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

I learned this the hard way... now that there is ampole sun... it's the best time to make a move and plan the next fallwinter. When the sun is too low you'll be too lethargic to do anytihng about it.

Hey even if you step on poop... nature got a tool to clean it called grass.

Cpt.Tired, caroline and Jenelle like this.
  15. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Yes, I need to put together a plan of everything I can learn to help me through winter ~ while I am feeling good. I need to make a large poster board... and hang it in my living room or something. ;) But unfortunately, now is not going to be the time to make a move. So I have to do what I can, and try not to stress out about the rest. That will do no good. BTDT.

I have decided that a winter vacation is in order, for sure. We have never really done this. I will be looking into options soon. I think getting the heck out of here RIGHT after Christmas sounds like a good idea. (I've got two kids who are starting public school in the fall ~ so for the first time, we will be working around their break schedule.) I am always good through the Holidays ~ and hit a slump in Jan/Feb. I think a "winter recharge" would have a lot of benefit.

I am so happy for you that you were able to just get up and go! :thumbsup: I know that would be best for me... but it's just not happening. Not yet, anyway.

16. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I came here today to share this link, which I found helpful for some questions I had about grounding:

https://heartmdinstitute.com/alternative-medicine/earthing/grounding-q-a/

Thought maybe it could help someone else out there, as well.

I got all myself, all three kids (and the dog, of course!) outside together ~ barefoot, in the sun for awhile today. It was great! :thumbsup:

I also read the beginning of that link ^ to them, just so they'd have a basic understanding of why I am urging them to do this. It all makes sense to them, of course. We had a good talk. :)

I also ventured outside of my garage gym, and did some of my barefoot lifting out in the yard in the sun today. This was a big step, due to social anxiety / not wanting the neighbors to watch me ~ but I decided... as Joe's link says ~ sometimes I give too many fucks. When we believe in something, we should just do it.

Dia and Scompy like this.
  17. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Just a word of advice... I've had many biohack fails in the past when trying to ground from the home or around the home with cables and wearing grounding shoes in locations that have dirty electricity dumping. It's always best to ground in nature, not around humanity. For instance, I cannot wear my grounding shoes in my office because the floor itself carries a charge. Having rubber-soled shoes prevents me from absorbing the energy coming off the floor. So if I were to wear my grounding shoes to work (a few hours) and go to a park (for an hour) then come back to work (more hours), I'd feel more sick because of the exposure to the dirty electricity all day. I've found that I ground in nature when I'm in nature and back-block dirty electricity with rubber when I'm in a situation that has dirty electricity.

Jenelle and fitness@home like this.
  18. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I take kettle bells outside in the backyard. The privacy fence isn't all that private.

I do have to be careful when skinny dipping in the pool ;)

caroline, Scompy and Jenelle like this.
  19. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Scompy ~ for now, we are just going with nature ~ as you said. ;) I am not ready for anything more advanced than that.

We do live in a neighborhood, but we are outside of city limits and very close to the country. It is an older addition (1960's) and the houses are not crammed together. We have almost 1/2 acre to roam. This feels like an okay place to ground, right? I hope so because I am enjoying it and encouraging it. :)

Feeling optimistic about a camping trip this weekend, to a state park. :thumbsup: Not sure if it will happen yet, due to my husband's job and baseball stuff ~ but I am sure crossing fingers and pushing for it on my end!

Dawn ~ oh how I would love to have our own pool. I was just thinking today that it would be nice even to have a "cheapie". But no... I could not be nekked out there -- no privacy fence at all! :eek:;)

Scompy likes this.
  20. Inger

Inger Silver

You need a Tan Through bikini Jenelle, have you got one yet? I recommend the leo print tanga version I got recently ;).... I bet your hubby will be happy :) :) :)

Scompy and Jenelle like this.